Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Youth, Pop culture and Religon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:20 am 
Hello,

I have posted this one as I am keenly interested in the questions and comments on youths, pop culture and religon. Pardon me if I post this one in two other places, I am looking for replies.

Here is a prime example in an online story

http://www.orlandocitybeat.com/custom/p ... pop-promos

When pop culture is the only venue for exposure to religon, how does this portray its leaders?

Kind Regards,
OldeWorldeMe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:58 pm 

OldeWorldeMe: my particular venue is film and I "find" religion/God/morality in strange ways and places. IMHO, I think part of the confusion about pop culture and media and the Church and Pope results from culture not having a set, concise, standard, coherent philosophy to follow; if they did, they would be Catholic like us. They use contradictory attacks on the Church because they don't really want to know what they think, they only want to tear down the Church. To me, the Pope wearing "Bono sunglasses" is silly, but JPII was probably concerned with touching young people in a non-scandalous way, to show them a dimension of holiness (being holy by not being "holier than thou") that calls them to be Christians without giving up their individuality (because culture has a really, really shallow view of what it means to be an individual).
Culture is "pop" because it is popular.