Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: LotE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:18 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
In light of your recent post about Hell, I was just wondering if you could indulge me on some Scriptural insight. I have other friends who are Von Balthasar fans who argue in a similar vain, and I always try to bring it back to Scripture. In fact, the one thing I find most unsettling about "Dare we Hope" is that the first part of the book is a very defensive approach to the passages that make universal salvation very difficult to square. It's as if Scripture is explained away, rather than just explained. I always eager to hear how people can reconcile passages that, in my view, make ones like yours untenable. But, I am sure you have already pondered these, so I would like to hear your take.

First... Matt 10:28. What is the meaning of this passage?

FJ

Post subject: Re: LotE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:52 pm 
Master
Master

God can destroy both body and soul. He is the ultimate judge and law giver.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:53 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Looking for answers
forumjunkie wrote:
In light of your recent post about Hell, I was just wondering if you could indulge me on some Scriptural insight. I have other friends who are Von Balthasar fans who argue in a similar vain, and I always try to bring it back to Scripture. In fact, the one thing I find most unsettling about "Dare we Hope" is that the first part of the book is a very defensive approach to the passages that make universal salvation very difficult to square. It's as if Scripture is explained away, rather than just explained. I always eager to hear how people can reconcile passages that, in my view, make ones like yours untenable. But, I am sure you have already pondered these, so I would like to hear your take.

FJ

Matt 10:28
And be not afraid of those killing the body, and are not able to kill the soul, but fear rather Him who is able both soul and body to destroy in gehenna.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:04 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Looking for answers
Wikipedia:

Gehenna is a small valley in Jerusalem. In the Hebrew Bible, Gehenna was initially where some of the kings of Judah sacrificed their children by fire.[1] Thereafter, it was deemed to be cursed (Book of Jeremiah 7:31, 19:2–6).[2]

...Rabbinical Judaism:
...Gehenna is considered a purgatory-like place where the wicked go to suffer until they have atoned for their sins. It is stated in most Jewish sources that the maximum amount of time a sinner can spend in Gehenna is one year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:59 am 

Denise Dee wrote:
...Rabbinical Judaism:
...Gehenna is considered a purgatory-like place where the wicked go to suffer until they have atoned for their sins. It is stated in most Jewish sources that the maximum amount of time a sinner can spend in Gehenna is one year.

How far back?
It's my understanding that at the time of Christ, sheol, or the bosom of Abraham was considered purgatory like. Gehenna was eternal hell.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:07 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox (In Communion With Rome)
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
forumjunkie wrote:

FJ

With apologies, I have been strongly advised by my spiritual director to abstain from discussions of a theological nature as it appears they are doing me much more harm than good. I seek to obey my director.