Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Baptism
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:08 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
If baptism replaced circumcision as an initiation to the faith, then why do females get baptized?

Post subject: Re: Baptism
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:58 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Fulfillments are always greater than their foreshadowing.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:27 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

True that, but...ok.

So, if baptism is how one is "born again", how is it that St. John tells us how to tell the difference between the children of God and the children of the Devil is if they practice righteousness or sin?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:58 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Pro-Zak wrote:
True that, but...ok.

So, if baptism is how one is "born again", how is it that St. John tells us how to tell the difference between the children of God and the children of the Devil is if they practice righteousness or sin?

I would say that righteous behavior is evidence of our Sacramental union with Christ. It's shows that we're actually embodying that which we profess to believe.

Obviously someone who professes belief in Christ, yet embodies sin and wickedness, is not manifesting in themselves the union they claim to possess.

"End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:44 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Pro-Zak wrote:
True that, but...ok.

Because baptism doesn't automatically force moral behavior. Some people use the graces they were given in baptism; some don't and then leave their adopted family for another one.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:15 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Just in case anyone was wondering, I'm not asking these questions to mock the Catholic faith, I'm just trying to understand things from the Catholic perspective vs. the Evangelical one that has been burned into my psyche for so long...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:18 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I didn't think you were mocking.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:50 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Pro-Zak wrote:
Just in case anyone was wondering, I'm not asking these questions to mock the Catholic faith, I'm just trying to understand things from the Catholic perspective vs. the Evangelical one that has been burned into my psyche for so long...

I didn't take it as you being mocking either.

I'm more than 12 years into my conversion and I'm still dealing with some latent Evangelical tendencies. It took me almost ten years to actually reconcile my concept of the Atonement(which was essentially Penal Substitutionary Atonement) with the Church's fuller understanding.

A lot of these things are really complex and it takes a lot of time and thought to work these things out.

"End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."