Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 15   [ 294 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is hell the natural fate of man?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:05 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Looking for answers
Jack3 wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Doom wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Setting aside the issue of unbaptized persons below the age of reason, everyone who reaches the age of reason receives sufficient grace for salvation.

But those who don't accept the grace never chose to be created as someone who doesn't accept the grace.

This is such a stupid talking point, how could anyone possibly ask to be created? That isn't even a coherent thought.

They can't ask to be created, that's correct, so that means they didn't ask to be created, so where is the justice in someone who didn't ask to be created being sent to suffer in Hell for ever, whereas if their creation had never been imposed on them, they would not suffer in Hell.
. How can creation be "imposed"?

When something is done to a person when they didn't ask for it to be done to them and they didn't want it to be done to them (who would want to be created to suffer in Hell for ever and ever?), it's imposed on them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:57 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Denise Dee wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Animals deserve neither eternal reward not punishment; they are not moral subjects.

So how does being moral subjects mean that all moral subjects deserve Hell? :scratch:

I think it doesn't.

You are contradicting yourself.

No. But I'll leave it to someone more well versed to respond to you on that.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:45 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Jack3 wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Animals deserve neither eternal reward not punishment; they are not moral subjects.

So how does being moral subjects mean that all moral subjects deserve Hell? :scratch:

I think it doesn't.

Why can't you explain it? It was you who said it. Do you not understand what you said, or are you just parroting what you think someone else said without understanding?

That's a great tactic you've come up with there, jack3. The next time Signum challenges something I've said, I'll just say "No. But I'll leave it to someone more well versed to respond to you on that." I wonder what Signum would think if I did that! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:08 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
That a certain group of moral subjects are deserving of Hell doesn't mean that all moral subjects are deserving of Hell.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:09 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Denise Dee wrote:
The next time Signum challenges something I've said, I'll just say "No. But I'll leave it to someone more well versed to respond to you on that." I wonder what Signum would think if I did that! :mrgreen:

I think you are treading on thin ice. If you keep baiting me to suspend your account, I might just comply.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:18 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Denise Dee wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:

I think it doesn't.

Why can't you explain it? It was you who said it. Do you not understand what you said, or are you just parroting what you think someone else said without understanding?

I am young and still learning. I do not know everything.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:42 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Jack3:

I am old and still learning about the faith! :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:36 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Signum Crucis wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
The next time Signum challenges something I've said, I'll just say "No. But I'll leave it to someone more well versed to respond to you on that." I wonder what Signum would think if I did that! :mrgreen:

I think you are treading on thin ice. If you keep baiting me to suspend your account, I might just comply.

It was a bit of lighthearted humour, Signum. I'll not make any more lighthearted humorous comments that involve you in any way.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:16 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
That a certain group of moral subjects are deserving of Hell doesn't mean that all moral subjects are deserving of Hell.

I totally agree with the logic of that statement, Obi. But Doom and Signum have said we all deserve Hell:
Doom wrote:
Everyone deserves to go to hell, it is only by the grace of God that some avoid that fate
Signum Crucis wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
I never said it's bad for someone to be created with weaknesses.

I said it's bad for a creator to create someone with the weaknesses that cause a person to end up in hell suffering for eternity because they were created like that, when they never consented to being created with those weaknesses - so how by any stretch of the imagination could anyone claim that the person who never consented to being created with those weaknesses "deserves to go to hell"?

We all deserve hell.

And jack3 agreed with them, and you, Obi, appeared to agree with jack3, and the assertion of Doom and Signum that “We all deserve Hell”. But now you seem to be saying or suggesting that not all moral subjects deserve Hell. And yet we are all moral subjects, so you appear to be suggesting that some moral subjects don’t deserve Hell while simultaneously agreeing with the assertion that we all deserve Hell. That appears to be a contradiction. Do you agree with Doom and Signum (and jack3) that we all deserve Hell or do you think that not all moral subjects deserve Hell?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:58 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Quote:
And yet we are all moral subjects, so you appear to be suggesting that some moral subjects don’t deserve Hell while simultaneously agreeing with the assertion that we all deserve Hell.
No, I said that it is possible that some moral subjects don't deserve Hell, not that it is necessarily so. "All", "some", and "none" are all possible.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:02 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Quote:
And yet we are all moral subjects, so you appear to be suggesting that some moral subjects don’t deserve Hell while simultaneously agreeing with the assertion that we all deserve Hell.
No, I said that it is possible that some moral subjects don't deserve Hell, not that it is necessarily so. "All", "some", and "none" are all possible.

Then I agree with you!

What do you say now, jack3?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:22 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Denise Dee wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Quote:

Then I agree with you!

jack3 has already deferred to Fr. Kenobi. This isn't a "gotcha", as you seem to believe.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:26 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I admit I don't see what the point of this argument is supposed to be. Denise, can you explain the implications you see?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:47 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Signum Crucis wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Quote:

Then I agree with you!

jack3 has already deferred to Fr. Kenobi. This isn't a "gotcha", as you seem to believe.

I don’t believe it’s a “gotcha”, Signum. Obi and jack3 are combining to bamboozle me! Not intentionally, of course. There’s something I’m not following. (If it was intentional it would be quite funny, how well they are doing it!)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:50 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Or there's something we're not following. There's a step in your argument that must seem so obvious to you that you don't have to state it, but I'm not seeing it at all.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:26 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Denise Dee wrote:
If you think beloved friends and family deserve Hell, do you think our beloved pets, such as cats and dogs, deserve Hell?

They don't even deserve to exist after death

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:28 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Or there's something we're not following. There's a step in your argument that must seem so obvious to you that you don't have to state it, but I'm not seeing it at all.

Jack3 wrote:

Animals don't deserve Hell because they are not moral subjects.

You agreed.

Thus jack3 appears to be saying that all human beings deserve Hell because we are moral subjects.

If we weren't moral subjects, we wouldn't deserve Hell (nor Heaven), according to jack3's reasoning.

Then Obi you said it's possible that some moral subjects don't deserve Hell.

Animals are not moral subjects, it is humans who are moral subjects. Therefore, Obi, if it is possible that some moral subjects don't deserve Hell, then that's the same as saying it's possible that some humans don't deserve Hell.

But Doom and Signum said we all deserve Hell, and jack3 appeared to agree, and you appeared to agree with jack3.

So Obi, are you agreeing with Signum and Doom that all humans deserve Hell, or do you think it is possible that some humans don't deserve Hell? The two things don't seem to be compatible.

So are any of those steps in my logic wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:33 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Peregrinator wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
If you think beloved friends and family deserve Hell, do you think our beloved pets, such as cats and dogs, deserve Hell?

They don't even deserve to exist after death

Okay. Do humans deserve to exist after death? If so, why do humans deserve to exist after death?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:42 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Jack3 is not saying that all human beings deserve Hell because we are moral subjects. What led you to see that in what he said?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:59 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Jack3 is not saying that all human beings deserve Hell because we are moral subjects. What led you to see that in what he said?

Due to the fact that he said animals don’t deserve Hell because they are not moral subjects.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 15   [ 294 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next