Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 14 of 18   [ 347 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is Pope Francis a bad pope?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:02 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Amon98 wrote:
Respectfully, Pope Francis has known, named critics, so why not contact him and encourage him to do as you wrote?

Because I have no expectation that doing so would accomplish anything good.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:28 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
But if you like, yes, I think he condoned it.
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
theJack wrote:
Do you really think Francis is encouraging idolatry or that he condones it? Really?

You'll note I didn't use either word. I said, "countenanced," and if you have a better word for what went on at the synod, I'd love to hear it.

Wow. Just . . . wow.

Look, I know you think you measured your words and that you believe you've enough nuance to make this a justifiable claim. But you just accused the Pope of condoning idoloatry.

Wow.

I can't do this anymore.

Indeed, the Lord Jesus, when He prayed to the Father, "that all may be one. . . as we are one" (John 17:21-22) opened up vistas closed to human reason, for He implied a certain likeness between the union of the divine Persons, and the unity of God's sons in truth and charity. This likeness reveals that man, who is the only creature on earth which God willed for itself, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself. ~ Pope Paul VI, Gaudium et Spes 24.3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:44 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
theJack wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
theJack wrote:
Do you really think Francis is encouraging idolatry or that he condones it? Really?

You'll note I didn't use either word. I said, "countenanced," and if you have a better word for what went on at the synod, I'd love to hear it.

Wow. Just . . . wow.

Look, I know you think you measured your words and that you believe you've enough nuance to make this a justifiable claim. But you just accused the Pope of condoning idoloatry.

Wow.

I can't do this anymore.

You have a better word for what went on? Let's hear it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:03 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I agree with Siggy. What the Pope was thinking, I don't know, since he hasn't said. But what I saw looked like condoning idolatry, and I am not alone in that opinion. If that wasn't what happened ... what did you see happening?

I am not saying that he is an idolater. But the best I can say is that I cannot understand why he had anything to do with the Pachamama aspects of the synod, and that he let us down by doing so. In other words, at the very best, bad judgment, made worse because he won't say anything about it, leaving everyone to draw their own conclusions.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:44 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
theJack wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
theJack wrote:

Wow. Just . . . wow.

Wow.

I can't do this anymore.

You apparently aren't aware of the facts of the case.

These images of a pagan God were not merely placed in a church in Rome, but they were placed on the opposite side across from the altar, then the seats were rotated so that they were facing AWAY from the altar and towards the images. Some laity became outraged by this and removed the idols and threw them into the Tiber.

And how did Francis react to all this? He gave a speech heaping contempt and scorn on.....whom? The people who REMOVED the idols!

What is the best word for that, do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:53 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You missed the prayer service in the Vatican Garden. Fortunately, EC2 has provided links to articles: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news ... mony-60523

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:57 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Doom wrote:

You apparently aren't aware of the facts of the case.

These images of a pagan God were not merely placed in a church in Rome, but they were placed on the opposite side across from the altar, then the seats were rotated so that they were facing AWAY from the altar and towards the images. Some laity became outraged by this and removed the idols and threw them into the Tiber.

And how did Francis react to all this? He gave a speech heaping contempt and scorn on.....whom? The people who REMOVED the idols!

What is the best word for that, do you think?

You left out the part where he had the statues "rescued".

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:00 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
You missed the prayer service in the Vatican Garden. Fortunately, EC2 has provided links to articles: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news ... mony-60523

That disturbs me less than Francis actually defending the use of the idols and attacking those who opposed their use.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:29 pm 
There Can Be Only One

In reading about the garden ceremony, I wonder if the Pope was blind sided. His decision not to make his prepared remarks, and to offer the Our Father instead, may indicate unease with what was happening.

Nevertheless, some of the actions in that garden ceremony in the Vatican are deeply disturbing. The Popes presence, more so.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:21 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I agree that it seems he was not easy with it; still, it was not a good look and I wish he had said, "I didn't anticipate all of that," or some such thing. It might have looked like throwing people under the bus, but I still would like to have seen even a mildly-worded statement saying that the whole thing hadn't gone as planned. And I would have been even happier if the idols had never been seen again after that.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:25 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

And if the Holy Father's writeup when he's done addresses these issues, I will be profoundly grateful and withdraw my objections.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:44 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
But he shouldn't have been blindsided. Heck the Italian bishops had already composed an idolatrous prayer to Pachamama.

The problem, and one lost upon some here apparently, is not fraternal correction of the pope (many have tried), but repair of the scandal he has wrought.

People need to here "No, you don't grind axes against people and gossip. It doesn't matter that the pope has from the pulpit" "No, Christ did not set aside His divinity. Oh Scalfari interviewed him and the pope said it? Well Scalfari cannot be trusted. Well the pope has gjven him numerous interviews despite each one causing scandal? Well I cannot say what his intent was, but the reported interviews are wrong, regardless of if the pope said it and yes, if Scalfari cannot be trusted, the pope shouldn't talk to him. But he doez, who knows why?"

I need to be able to say when I teach that no, you cannot continue in a state of mortal sin and receive communion. "But what if keeping the moral law here is real hard? The pope said not all can keep it" and I need to be able to say "God gives all sufficient means to keep the law. " And I need to be able to defend my gainsaying the pope.

Ditto on the death penalty, the impossibility of pleasing God without faith, the defective nature of other religions (and that there is one true faith revealed by God) and many other issues where authentic Catholic doctrine is flatly contradicted or seemingly contradicted, whether in off the cufc remarks or even in more authoratative instruments

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:34 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Quote:
No to clericalizing the laity
Setting aside his prepared text, Pope Francis warned against the danger of what he termed as “clericalizing the laity”. Sometimes, he said, permanent deacons, who are to be the custodians of service in dioceses, soon find themselves “looking at the altar” and end up as “wannaby priests”. Work with the laity but don’t clericalize them, the Pope said. "Move the deacons away from the altar… They are the custodians of service, not first-class altar boys or second-class priests,” he added.

https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope/news ... enary.html

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

OK, it's a news report, so who knows what happened? But first there's the attack on the deacons themselves, who he calls "wanna-be priests." That's your open, inviting, compassionate, loving pontiff for you. Second, there's the apparent belief that deacons are laymen. Which, I mean, is--if he actually said this and it wasn't misreported--a pretty stunning mistake. Third, there's the effortless way in which he waves away the role of permanent deacons in the novus ordo. Why would anyone think this is a bad pope? Hard to imagine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:36 am 

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I agree that it seems he was not easy with it; still, it was not a good look and I wish he had said, "I didn't anticipate all of that," or some such thing. It might have looked like throwing people under the bus, but I still would like to have seen even a mildly-worded statement saying that the whole thing hadn't gone as planned. And I would have been even happier if the idols had never been seen again after that.

Right. He'd never throw anyone under the bus.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:06 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Some he might have to throw in the salad shooter instead.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:16 am 

:swoon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:37 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Some he might have to throw in the salad shooter instead.

"salad shooter"? I say again, "salad shooter"?

Gentlemen,

This reminds of the "armchair general" discussions out there. "I say, Smithers. If I was in charge I would have... so on and so forth, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:04 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
long running inside joke between the board and the pickle, amon

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:05 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

faithfulservant wrote:
long running inside joke between the board and the pickle, amon

Ah, yes. The old long-running joke. I am now fully informed. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:18 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Don't tell gherkin that we actually like him. It's one of our favorite ways to threaten gherkin's demise.

Need something to read?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 14 of 18   [ 347 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next