Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 10 of 14   [ 267 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pope: Female Deacons/Married Priests?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:29 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Looking for answers
Highlander wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
... there is absolutely no reason to fear that he ever might express such an opinion.

By your lights, no. By others ....

tAnGo wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
... there is absolutely no reason to fear that he ever might express such an opinion.

By your lights, no. By others ....

About what i was going to say.
Actually, I was going to say something along the lines of, "Your naivete and gullibility are blinding"...

But, out of charity, we'll go with what you said there, H.

That just shows that you don't understand Pope Francis, and you're not paying attention. Pope Francis has made it very clear that there cannot be women priests in the Catholic Church.

Denise Dee wrote:
Those of us who understand what Pope Francis is doing, and trying to do, understand that he is a very good pope. Some Catholics don't understand, some may have difficulty understanding, and some don't want to understand.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:08 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
Denise Dee wrote:
Pope Francis has made it very clear that there cannot be women priests in the Catholic Church.

But why?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:20 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Signum Crucis wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Pope Francis has made it very clear that there cannot be women priests in the Catholic Church.

But why?

PED might be able to answer your question.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:34 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Denise Dee wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:

But why?

PED might be able to answer your question.

Apparently, PED doesn't know the mind of Pope Francis as well as you do. If I wanted his opinion, I would have asked him. I asked you. Why do you think Pope Francis says women can't be priests? Does he believe they are incapable?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:24 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:36 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Denise Dee wrote:
I don't know.

:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:47 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I say it is Tradition.

"[The] Catholic concept of Tradition, both in the general sense (embracing both Holy Scripture and Oral or Apostolic Tradition), and in the more specific sense of those Apostolic Traditions that were not written down. We consider also the related Catholic concept — much abused in our day — of development of doctrine.

I talk about the meaning of Revelation, the Deposit of Faith, and the Church’s Magisterium — among the key concepts to know in order to grasp Catholic Tradition.

Scripture, the Fathers, and the Ecumenical Councils are used to illustrate the notions of Tradition and development of doctrine, and to explore something of the mechanics of the passing on of Tradition in the Church under the influence of the Holy Ghost•"

- Catholicism . org

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:34 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Signum Crucis wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Pope Francis has never expressed any opinion that he thinks it might be possible for women to become priests, and there is absolutely no reason to fear that he ever might express such an opinion.

So, Pope Francis is saying that there are some things men can do that women can't? Like, women are incapable of becoming priests?

From NCR online:

https://www.ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-tod ... -reasoning

Pope Francis has again forcefully rejected the possibility of female priests in the Catholic church, saying simply that his predecessor Pope John Paul II decided "that cannot be done."

In response to a question during a press conference on his flight back to Rome late Sunday/early Monday after an historic ten-day trip to Cuba and the U.S., Francis said that while women may "have the capacity" to be priests John Paul clearly made a negative decision in that regard.

"Women priests -- that cannot be done," the pontiff said bluntly. "Pope St. John Paul II -- after long, long discussions, long reflections -- said it clearly."

"Not because women do not have the capacity," said Francis.

The pope has previously said that the door to ordination for women was "closed" and has spoken of needing to develop a special theology of women.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:05 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Denise Dee wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Pope Francis has never expressed any opinion that he thinks it might be possible for women to become priests, and there is absolutely no reason to fear that he ever might express such an opinion.

So, Pope Francis is saying that there are some things men can do that women can't? Like, women are incapable of becoming priests?

From NCR online:

Pope Francis has again forcefully rejected the possibility of female priests in the Catholic church, saying simply that his predecessor Pope John Paul II decided "that cannot be done."

In response to a question during a press conference on his flight back to Rome late Sunday/early Monday after an historic ten-day trip to Cuba and the U.S., Francis said that while women may "have the capacity" to be priests John Paul clearly made a negative decision in that regard.

"Women priests -- that cannot be done," the pontiff said bluntly. "Pope St. John Paul II -- after long, long discussions, long reflections -- said it clearly."

The pope has previously said that the door to ordination for women was "closed" and has spoken of needing to develop a special theology of women.

But WHY is that door closed to women?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:18 am 
There Can Be Only One

Denise Dee"... wrote:

What is "a special theology of women". God requires that women have a different theology than men? Different practices? Different offices? Lack of clarity springs forth again.

Thank you for the specificity.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:40 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
Signum Crucis wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:

From NCR online:

But WHY is that door closed to women?

Francis said in the article: "Women priests -- that cannot be done. . . . Pope St. John Paul II -- after long, long discussions, long reflections -- said it clearly." That's the answer. What else can be said?

Some people act like you're just looking for things to fret about. You're worried about a pope wanting to ordain women. Francis says it cannot happen, that the door is "closed" and appeals to the formal authority of JPII. Then we want to press further" "But WHY should he listen to JPII?" "But what's a 'special theology of women'?"

The questions just aren't charitable. You can say they come from a place of concern. They look much more like they come from a place of acrimony. It's ugly, and I, for one, find it incredibly discouraging and disappointing.

Indeed, the Lord Jesus, when He prayed to the Father, "that all may be one. . . as we are one" (John 17:21-22) opened up vistas closed to human reason, for He implied a certain likeness between the union of the divine Persons, and the unity of God's sons in truth and charity. This likeness reveals that man, who is the only creature on earth which God willed for itself, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself. ~ Pope Paul VI, Gaudium et Spes 24.3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:56 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
"because JP2 said so" is not an actual reason that women cannot be ordained to the priesthood.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:06 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
:roll:

Indeed, the Lord Jesus, when He prayed to the Father, "that all may be one. . . as we are one" (John 17:21-22) opened up vistas closed to human reason, for He implied a certain likeness between the union of the divine Persons, and the unity of God's sons in truth and charity. This likeness reveals that man, who is the only creature on earth which God willed for itself, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself. ~ Pope Paul VI, Gaudium et Spes 24.3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:31 am 
There Can Be Only One

theJack wrote:
... You can say they come from a place of concern. They look much more like they come from a place of acrimony. It's ugly, and I, for one, find it incredibly discouraging and disappointing.

This is it in a nutshell. When I express genuine concern, coupled with uncertainty, you label it acrimony and find it ugly.

I must conclude then, as you dismiss my assertion of concern, expressed in as many different ways and with as many careful parsings as I am capable of, and then proclaim, publicly, that my concern is not valid nor genuine nor worthy, that you also reject my beliefs and my practice of my religion. And, in effect, label me either deceitful or uncharitable ... or both.

I am not the best Catholic. Nor am I a theologian; I rely upon others. But Francis concerns me; whatever obloquy may result.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:46 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Ooh. Good word.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:51 am 
There Can Be Only One

It's a word! I just made it up on the fly. It was either that or 'kuztpy'.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:56 am 
Citizen
Citizen

tAnGo wrote:
"because JP2 said so" is not an actual reason that women cannot be ordained to the priesthood.

Yes. It is. You should read the full text.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:58 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Highlander wrote:
It's a word! I just made it up on the fly. It was either that or 'kuztpy'.

Please. No more made up words. The secular world loves making up words. I have a long list of "words I'll never use."

Thank you for reading.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:00 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Amon98 wrote:
tAnGo wrote:

No. It is not. It's exactly the opposite. He said it because women cannot be ordained.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:38 pm 
There Can Be Only One

gherkin wrote:
Amon98 wrote:
tAnGo wrote:

No. It is not. It's exactly the opposite. He said it because women cannot be ordained.

OK, I get this.

It underpins the reason so may "why"s have been asked. Because the answers given have not been the answer. And because several do not understand why their answer is not the answer.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 10 of 14   [ 267 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next