Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Question about God's infinity.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:41 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Hi everyone. It's my understanding that actual infinities, in the quantitative sense, don't exist: e.g., there isn't infinite distance between me and a mulberry bush). But then how is that God is infinite? I looked online and all I could find was William Lane Craig talking about how God's infinitude is qualitative; not quantitative. Is he right? Or is there more to this?

Post subject: Re: Question about God's infinity.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:08 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Are you referring to “Can God create a rock too heavy for Him to lift?” -type questions? Not being snarky; just trying to get a layman’s grasp on the scope here. Normally, I’d recommend new users to post questions in Catholicism 101, but this question, if it’s as deep as I suspect it may be, deserves the attention of our philosophical, theological, and debate team heavy-hitters. So I think this question is in the right place here, at least for now.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:31 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The arguments against completed infinities don't apply to God, which is one reason He is incomprehensible (not able to be known comprehensively).

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:22 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
The arguments against completed infinities in number or magnitude deal with a different sort of thing. As Aquinas says the infinity of quantity is the infinity of matter, and is not said of God. (We needn't consider tranfinite numbers or infinity in modern math, still not the same)

The infinity of God is that He is not bound, or limited in anyway. This means no beginning or end, no limitation of His essence (as our form is bound by our matter), no divisions... Even were something to always have existed and always will but existed as we do, it would still be limited to possession of its life only now. I am not 12 yr old me or 40 yr old me, but just the now-me

God possesses His entire self- life and existence - eternally, not in parts, not in succession, but all at the same time.

This is the sort of infinity we are talking about here

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/