Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dorothy Day on the State and War
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:47 am 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
I have an interest in the history of the Catholic Church's relationship to the working class.

Naturally, I stumbled upon Dorothy Day but I as yet know very little about her.

1) Are there any serious doubts about her orthodoxy?

More specifically

2) Was she actually an anarchist? Did she believe the state as an institution was legitimate and could be Christianized?

3) Did her personal pacifism lead her to reject the established doctrine of the Church on war?

Tiber swim team '13

Post subject: Re: Dorothy Day on the State and War
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:41 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
I don't know a lot about Dorothy Day, but this site may help, there is a lot to read there....(there are other sites as well).

https://everything.explained.today/Dorothy_Day/

Post subject: Re: Dorothy Day on the State and War
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:47 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
I started reading a book about her a long time ago, and came across a story about her--this book was not some kind of take down, mind you, and the story was reported fully approvingly--where she appeared to espouse straight up religious indifferentism. I promptly threw the book away, of course. In the interim, I have often suspected that the story wasn't in fact entirely accurate. But I haven't yet worked my way around to going back to trying to figure out to my satisfaction whether she's solid or not.

However, if you're looking for edification regarding the Church and the working class (I'm not a big fan of that terminology, which smacks a bit too much of Marx for me, but I don't think there's any real harm in it), then the place to start is with Harold Robbins's The Sun of Justice. This book, coincidentally, is strongly endorsed by Dorothy Day.

And start your investigation by refraining from buying it from Amazon. Here's a link: https://www.leafletonline.com/sun-of-ju ... ld-robbins