Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thomas Reid
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:49 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
Anybody have any thoughts on and/or have read much Thomas Reid? I've been really impressed with what I take to be bis devastating response to Hume. He has a very practical approach to philosophy that in it's own way reminds me of Aquinas on the one hand and Husserl on the other. So I was curious if any of you were familiar with his work.

Indeed, the Lord Jesus, when He prayed to the Father, "that all may be one. . . as we are one" (John 17:21-22) opened up vistas closed to human reason, for He implied a certain likeness between the union of the divine Persons, and the unity of God's sons in truth and charity. This likeness reveals that man, who is the only creature on earth which God willed for itself, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself. ~ Pope Paul VI, Gaudium et Spes 24.3

Post subject: Re: Thomas Reid
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
i'm sure the pickle is your man, but he'll only be here on sundays for lent

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:55 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
faithfulservant wrote:
i'm sure the pickle is your man, but he'll only be here on sundays for lent

So if Lent is a penitential season, why are we treated to a quasi-gherkin ban on every day BUT Sunday?

He knows he's supposed to do the penance right?

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:20 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It's because of the violence inherent in the system :fyi:

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:23 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
I went through a minor infatuation with Reid about 20 years ago, largely because he is an under-studied figure who is nevertheless obviously cool. Sort of like Malebranche's "empiricist" cousin. He's a funny guy. His rejection of representationalism, for example, was a striking move by his time, since representationalism had been orthodoxy in one form or another since Descartes. But he said, and seems to have seriously believed, that he was the first philosopher ever to reject representationalism (or "the way of ideas"). This, of course, is remarkably ignorant. Moreover, his rejection of representationalism is correct, but his own story of perception lacks the metaphysical depth of the scholastic story. His response to Hume on causation seems compelling to me--on the Humean story, we should think that day causes night, but we don't. He's a smart and underappreciated philosopher.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:05 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
yeah.... what he said :scratch: 8-)

btw gherk.... if you are getting into the march madness brackets , they will be available after the reveal tonight ... iirc the name of the group is dcf march madness maniacs... 2 entries allowed per person

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:14 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
gherkin wrote:
I went through a minor infatuation with Reid about 20 years ago, largely because he is an under-studied figure who is nevertheless obviously cool. Sort of like Malebranche's "empiricist" cousin. He's a funny guy. His rejection of representationalism, for example, was a striking move by his time, since representationalism had been orthodoxy in one form or another since Descartes. But he said, and seems to have seriously believed, that he was the first philosopher ever to reject representationalism (or "the way of ideas"). This, of course, is remarkably ignorant. Moreover, his rejection of representationalism is correct, but his own story of perception lacks the metaphysical depth of the scholastic story. His response to Hume on causation seems compelling to me--on the Humean story, we should think that day causes night, but we don't. He's a smart and underappreciated philosopher.

This is very similar to my own impression of him so far. Glad it seems I'm on the right track. In any case, right now, I'm less concerned about his lack of metaphysical depth than I am about his a) rejection of epistemological representationalism and b) his "common sense" approach to philosophy (or better, his testing of philosophical claims against common sense). Professionally, I'm interested in him because I think he might make a good source against some of the relativism I'm finding in "spiritual care" journals. There is, as you well know, a modern bias against Greek and medieval thinkers, so while I can use the ideas of and defend Aristotle and Aquinas, there's a lot of time that has to go into correcting misrepresentations and just trying to get an audience. Reid doesn't seem to have that baggage, and once I make a case for something like common sense realism, it might open the door to--following Husserl here--a phenomenological account of that realism and what must metaphysically be necessary given what we then have said. That metaphysically depth would provide a much easier introduction of Aristotelian/Thomistic realism. Again, all this within my pretty narrow professional needs.

As an aside, are you aware of any philosophers who aren't particularly known for being Christians or defending theological positions who reject representationalism? I'm sure there is a ton of them, but at the same time, from what I've been able to glean, there's been a move on to other fields of study entirely (really following Foucault and his analysis of power, and all within a general analytic model).

Indeed, the Lord Jesus, when He prayed to the Father, "that all may be one. . . as we are one" (John 17:21-22) opened up vistas closed to human reason, for He implied a certain likeness between the union of the divine Persons, and the unity of God's sons in truth and charity. This likeness reveals that man, who is the only creature on earth which God willed for itself, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself. ~ Pope Paul VI, Gaudium et Spes 24.3