The Catholic Message Board
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/

Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=169902
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Howard Kopsho [ Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:22 am ]
Post subject:  Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

Why would any Catholic not want to receive both the bread and the chalice of wine during Holy Communion? Everybody present at the Last Supper received both bread and wine. So every Catholic parish should have the wine available to the laity.

Author:  gherkin [ Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

How many laymen, exactly, were present at the Last Supper? :scratch:

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

No one at the Last Supper received bread and wine, and no one does at Mass either.

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

I should also note that everyone who receives, receives both the Body and the Blood, even if they commune under only one species.

Author:  Pro-Zak [ Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

Many still do offer both, but not during flu season.

Author:  Jack3 [ Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

gherkin wrote:
How many laymen, exactly, were present at the Last Supper? :scratch:

I have never thought of it this way. Thank you.

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

Jack3 wrote:
gherkin wrote:
How many laymen, exactly, were present at the Last Supper? :scratch:

I have never thought of it this way. Thank you.

Banned for agreeing with gherkin.

Author:  Speed Racer [ Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
gherkin wrote:
How many laymen, exactly, were present at the Last Supper? :scratch:

I have never thought of it this way. Thank you.

Banned for agreeing with gherkin.

The banning thread is thataway -------------------->

Author:  gherkin [ Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
gherkin wrote:
How many laymen, exactly, were present at the Last Supper? :scratch:

I have never thought of it this way. Thank you.

Banned for agreeing with gherkin.

In fairness to the lad, he doesn't actually go quite so far as to agree with me. :fyi:

Author:  Jack3 [ Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

I was about to point out the same thing!

I still haven't said I agree with you though.

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

It's implied.

Author:  Highlander [ Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

Backpedaling?

Author:  Closet Catholic [ Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

I always point out that (1) there were no laymen present at the Last Supper, as far as we know, and (2) that St. Paul, when speaking of the unworthy reception of the Eucharistic gifts, say, "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord" (1. Cor. 11:27). There is nothing in Scripture that indicates that you have to commune under both kinds and we have indication that you don't.

Author:  Peetem [ Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

Closet Catholic wrote:
I always point out that (1) there were no laymen present at the Last Supper, as far as we know, and (2) that St. Paul, when speaking of the unworthy reception of the Eucharistic gifts, say, "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord" (1. Cor. 11:27). There is nothing in Scripture that indicates that you have to commune under both kinds and we have indication that you don't.


I’ve read those verses a million times and never noticed that distinction.

Thank you! :clap:

Author:  Norwegianblue [ Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

Howard Kopsho wrote:
Why would any Catholic not want to receive both the bread and the chalice of wine during Holy Communion? Everybody present at the Last Supper received both bread and wine. So every Catholic parish should have the wine available to the laity.


We receive neither bread nor wine when we receive Holy Communion. :fyi:

Edit: I see Father already made this point.

Author:  Jack3 [ Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

Did Father force-finger you? It was an accident. :wink:

Author:  Speed Racer [ Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

Jack3 wrote:
Did Father force-finger you? It was an accident. :wink:


Are you trying to make a funny, young man? (i.e. the "accidents" of bread and wine)

Author:  Jack3 [ Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Holy Communion For The Laity Under Both Bread And Wine

Yes.

I italicised that for emphasis. Just in case someone doesn't get it. :fyi:

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/