Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Benedict XIV on Ignorance and Salvation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:17 am 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
Benedict XIV, had just cause to write: "We declare that a great number of those who are condemned to eternal punishment suffer that everlasting calamity because of ignorance of those mysteries of faith which must be known and believed in order to be numbered among the elect." (Pope Pius X, quoting his predecessor in Acerbo nimis, April 15, 1905)

1. Does the phrase "We declare ..." entail that is statement is ex cathedra?

2. Supposedly this is only meant to apply to culpable ignorance, however what does the phrase "must be known" entail? If there are truths of faith that must be known, does that not rule out entirely the category of invincible ignorance?

3. How does this relate to many Mass attending Catholics who are just uncatechized, but don't even know that they do not know? Are people who are practicing the faith to the best of their knowledge in danger because of their ignorance?

Tiber swim team '13

Post subject: Re: Benedict XIV on Ignorance and Salvation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:28 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
1) No.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:42 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
ForeverFaithful wrote:
Benedict XIV, had just cause to write: "We declare that a great number of those who are condemned to eternal punishment suffer that everlasting calamity because of ignorance of those mysteries of faith which must be known and believed in order to be numbered among the elect." (Pope Pius X, quoting his predecessor in Acerbo nimis, April 15, 1905)

1. Does the phrase "We declare ..." entail that is statement is ex-cathedra?

No. There is no special formula or wording that automatically makes something ex-cathedra, and the reason for this is logical if saying a certain formula made something ex-cathedra, then it quickly becomes an infinite loop, because the question then the question becomes is the statement 'we declare, define etc' ex-cathedra? So then a new statement needs to be added

The following is ex-cathedra

We declare etc

Then the question becomes is the statement 'the following is ex-cathedra' an ex-cathedra statement? Better clarify it by adding another statement

We declare etc

And so on and so on ad infinitum

So it would then be necessary for the Pope to begin an ex-cathedra statement with

'the following is ex-cathedra (times infinity)'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:55 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Doom wrote:
So it would then be necessary for the Pope to begin an ex-cathedra statement with

'the following is ex-cathedra (times infinity)'

That would be funny. :fyi:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:15 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
ForeverFaithful wrote:
2. Supposedly this is only meant to apply to culpable ignorance, however what does the phrase "must be known" entail? If there are truths of faith that must be known, does that not rule out entirely the category of invincible ignorance?

No, because God will provide them (that is, those who are invincibly ignorant) with whatever they need for salvation, including instruction in the faith, whether by interior illumination or by sending some minister as He sent Peter to Cornelius.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help