Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: What is the purpose or goal of eternal punishment?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:18 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Light of the East wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Other prominent advocates of "Dare We Hope?" also seem not address the question of the following angels. Unless you want to go all Origen (or at least his loopier followers), I don't see a way around it.

But my question (let's ignore the firestorm that will come from discussing Origen for now) remains - to what purpose is making souls suffer without remediation?

There are five questions regarding purpose in the piece. Could we address them and purpose, rather than getting side tracked?

I could - almost - see more purpose in annihilation after punishment (so satisfy justice) than I could see eternal torment. The purpose of annihilation would be that which is found in Corinthians - that God be "all in all," which would mandate in some form, the removal and eradication forever of all sin.

ns.

sometimes we all would just like to be annihilated (painlessly, if we can arrange it). There is NO punishment in that (unless there is pain of course)

but when the pain ends, all the pain ends and so.. again, no punishment

but the soul never dies. I have no idea why it never dies but it doesn't. Faith tells me that so don't expect me to come up with proof or anything..

if people did not have the desire to cease to exist no one would ever commit suicide but of course they do.. They will not find a cessation of existence, though and some will deeply regret doing that

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:30 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I thought this wasn't going to be a debate.

... ::): :laughhard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:53 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Norwegianblue wrote:
gherkin wrote:
Norwegianblue wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Can I recommend a book? God is not Nice.

By whom?

ETA: Is it this one: https://www.amazon.com/God-Not-Nice-Rej ... s+not+nice ?

:scratch: Father mentioned a book. You linked to something...I dunno...electrical or something. Not a book. :fyi:

Here's something electrical for you: https://www.amazon.com/Presto-Professio ... mp_s_a_1_4 :fyi:

:swoon

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2