The Catholic Message Board
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/

Alien Questions
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=169479
Page 1 of 3

Author:  Pro-Zak [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Alien Questions

Listening to CA the other day when Jimmy Akin was answering a question on if aliens could receive communion. He spent a significant amount of time going into detail on how such a creature had to be properly disposed, had the right digestive system, valid baptism, etc...isn't this all a waste of time and more than a bit ridiculous?! :shock:

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Why? It's a good opportunity to explore what's involved when we do it.

Author:  Jack3 [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Sabbath wrote:
Listening to CA the other day when Jimmy Akin was answering a question on if aliens could receive communion. He spent a significant amount of time going into detail on how such a creature had to be properly disposed, had the right digestive system, valid baptism, etc...isn't this all a waste of time and more than a bit ridiculous?! :shock:

He was answering a question asked to him.

Author:  Jack3 [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Even in fields like Physics, it's not unheard of to contemplate very unlikely "what if" scenarios.

Author:  Pro-Zak [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Christ became man to reconcile humanity to God, He died for humans, it's a moot point.

Author:  Pro-Zak [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Jack3 wrote:
Sabbath wrote:
Listening to CA the other day when Jimmy Akin was answering a question on if aliens could receive communion. He spent a significant amount of time going into detail on how such a creature had to be properly disposed, had the right digestive system, valid baptism, etc...isn't this all a waste of time and more than a bit ridiculous?! :shock:

He was answering a question asked to him.


Should have challanged such a question instead of idulging it.

Author:  Pro-Zak [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Why? It's a good opportunity to explore what's involved when we do it.


For the next Star Wars movie?

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Sabbath wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Sabbath wrote:
Listening to CA the other day when Jimmy Akin was answering a question on if aliens could receive communion. He spent a significant amount of time going into detail on how such a creature had to be properly disposed, had the right digestive system, valid baptism, etc...isn't this all a waste of time and more than a bit ridiculous?! :shock:

He was answering a question asked to him.


Should have challanged such a question instead of idulging it.

Why?

Author:  Jack3 [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Sabbath wrote:
Christ became man to reconcile humanity to God, He died for humans, it's a moot point.

all creation, all things, etc.

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Sabbath wrote:
Christ became man to reconcile humanity to God, He died for humans, it's a moot point.

This itself is a debatable point. See what sort of questions an apparently ridiculous scenario can help us explore?

Author:  Jack3 [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Sabbath wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Why? It's a good opportunity to explore what's involved when we do it.


For the next Star Wars movie?

Communion is important, misunderstood and hotly debated; vide German Lutherans, remarried divorcees, pro-abortion politicians, etc.

Author:  Pro-Zak [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sabbath wrote:
Christ became man to reconcile humanity to God, He died for humans, it's a moot point.

This itself is a debatable point. See what sort of questions an apparently ridiculous scenario can help us explore?



How so?

Author:  Pro-Zak [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Jack3 wrote:
Sabbath wrote:
Christ became man to reconcile humanity to God, He died for humans, it's a moot point.

all creation, all things, etc.



True, but He did not become one w/the animals.

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Sabbath wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sabbath wrote:
Christ became man to reconcile humanity to God, He died for humans, it's a moot point.

This itself is a debatable point. See what sort of questions an apparently ridiculous scenario can help us explore?



How so?

How far does Christ's salvific action extend?

Author:  Pro-Zak [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sabbath wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sabbath wrote:
Christ became man to reconcile humanity to God, He died for humans, it's a moot point.

This itself is a debatable point. See what sort of questions an apparently ridiculous scenario can help us explore?



How so?

How far does Christ's salvific action extend?


To all of creation, yet He only became one w/man, not animals, angels nor other worldly aliens, unless there is something in Sacred Tradition not yet revealed...

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

I can think of at least one science fiction book (Limbo System) that asked the same question. What is sufficient to qualify as "Man"? Does being a rational animal suffice?

Author:  Pro-Zak [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

[quote="Obi-Wan Kenobi"]I can think of at least one science fiction book (Limbo System) that asked the same question. What is sufficient to qualify as "Man"? Does being a rational animal suffice?[/quote


Yes, would be a better question for Art Bell or Fr. Malachi Martin.

Author:  Pro-Zak [ Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I can think of at least one science fiction book (Limbo System) that asked the same question. What is sufficient to qualify as "Man"? Does being a rational animal suffice?



Jesus being the second Adam such humans would have to desend from Adam...

Author:  Doom [ Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

Sabbath wrote:

Should have challenged such a question instead of indulging it.


A radio show host who insults his callers instead of answering their questions probably wouldn't have a job for long.

Science fiction and fantasy writers have not considered these kinds of questions to be stupid or pointless to discuss, there are a surprising number of science fiction and fantasy novels that explore these ideas, written both by Christian and non-Christian authors.

I'm sure you're familiar with CS Lewis, he wrote an entire science fiction trilogy on the question of how aliens, if they existed, might fit into the scheme of salvation, a trilogy which even Arthur C Clarke, a science fiction writer himself, and a friend of Lewis, and a militant atheist, once described as 'excellent'.

And then, after his 'space trilogy' was finished, CS Lewis spent an entire decade to writing an elaborate 7 volume series of fantasy novels dedicated to exploring how the Incarnation might have occurred in another universe which was inhabited by intelligent, talking animals.

And if that isn't enough, the same them of how alien civilizations might fit into the plan of salvation, plays a huge role in some of the novels in Orson Scott Card's 'Enderverse' series. And Arthur C Clarke, in his book 'Rendevous With Rama' imagined a fictional future in which there is an entire religion based on the idea that Christ himself was an alien and that he redeemed the entire universe.

Even if it never becomes relevant in the real world (and it probably never will) it is still a question that is worth exploring because it helps to shine a light on our doctrines and to understand them better.

If aliens cannot receive communion, why not? There has to be an answer other than 'because they are aliens.'

Author:  Denise Dee [ Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alien Questions

I see no reason why aliens couldn't receive communion

as long as they're not divorced and remarried.

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/