Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]   
 Post subject: Positive thread about Pope Francis
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:01 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Looking for answers
I want to say something good about Pope Francis. If I said it in the other disagreeable threads, it would only get buried amongst all the negativity.

Pope Francis genuinely inspires me. He really helps me spiritually in my life.

Even if you disagree with some things Pope Francis says or does, you cannot deny that he has some very good admirable qualities.

So if anyone wants to add any positive comments about Pope Francis, feel free.

If you have nothing good to say about him, say nothing in this thread.

Post subject: Re: Positive thread about Pope Francis
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:35 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
I have read only the thread title and can't see your posts, but anyway, here:
Quote:
...writing at times quite incisively about what Christian life in 2018 demands. More than that, he has a set of rhetorical strategies that he uses whenever he can. It is hard to read Francis’s exegesis on the Beatitudes (¶¶ 63–94) without thinking of his exegesis on First Corinthians 13:4–7 in Amoris laetitia (ch. 4). Consequently, there is much to admire in Gaudete et exsultate.

Consider some examples. Francis also offers a healthy dose of the practical, almost earthy, pastoral advice that is his second-best mode. (More on his best mode in a minute.) A striking passage comes when he follows a woman through her day, pointing out definite steps she can take to advance in holiness. He also speaks frankly about evil, warning us that “we should not think of the devil as a myth, a representation, a symbol, a figure of speech or an idea. This mistake would lead us to let down our guard, to grow careless and end up more vulnerable.” (Gaudete et exsultate ¶ 161.) He concludes the exhortation with a stirring passage about Our Lady: “She does not let us remain fallen and at times she takes us into her arms without judging us. Our converse with her consoles, frees and sanctifies us. Mary our Mother does not need a flood of words. She does not need us to tell her what is happening in our lives. All we need do is whisper, time and time again: ‘Hail Mary….'” (Ibid. ¶ 176.)

Francis also reaches into what we consider his best mode: critique of the sickness in modern society. His ecological encyclical, Laudato si’, setting to one side the specific policy considerations that have since come to characterize the encyclical, is a brilliant dissection of the fundamental disorders of liberalism. Francis returns to the theme throughout Gaudete et exsultate. Francis clearly identifies the symptoms of the disease when he says, “The presence of constantly new gadgets, the excitement of travel and an endless array of consumer goods at times leave no room for God’s voice to be heard. We are overwhelmed by words, by superficial pleasures and by an increasing din, filled not by joy but rather by the discontent of those whose lives have lost meaning. How can we fail to realize the need to stop this rat race and to recover the personal space needed to carry on a heartfelt dialogue with God? Finding that space may prove painful but it is always fruitful.” (Gaudete et exsultate ¶ 29.) And he identifies the bacillus at the root of the disease: “Saint John Paul II noted that ‘a society is alienated if its forms of social organization, production and consumption make it more difficult to offer this gift of self and to establish this solidarity between people’. In such a society, politics, mass communications and economic, cultural and even religious institutions become so entangled as to become an obstacle to authentic human and social development.” (Ibid. ¶ 91.)

When Francis is at his best—and he is at his best when he plays the country pastor offering blunt advice to his flock and when he criticizes the incoherence and unsustainable nature of life under neoliberalism—there is every reason to be happy that Francis returns to his favorite themes, well worn though they may be.

https://semiduplex.com/2018/04/09/this- ... ways-been/

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:02 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Jack3 wrote:
I have read only the thread title and can't see your posts, but anyway, here:
Quote:
...writing at times quite incisively about what Christian life in 2018 demands. More than that, he has a set of rhetorical strategies that he uses whenever he can. It is hard to read Francis’s exegesis on the Beatitudes (¶¶ 63–94) without thinking of his exegesis on First Corinthians 13:4–7 in Amoris laetitia (ch. 4). Consequently, there is much to admire in Gaudete et exsultate.

Consider some examples. Francis also offers a healthy dose of the practical, almost earthy, pastoral advice that is his second-best mode. (More on his best mode in a minute.) A striking passage comes when he follows a woman through her day, pointing out definite steps she can take to advance in holiness. He also speaks frankly about evil, warning us that “we should not think of the devil as a myth, a representation, a symbol, a figure of speech or an idea. This mistake would lead us to let down our guard, to grow careless and end up more vulnerable.” (Gaudete et exsultate ¶ 161.) He concludes the exhortation with a stirring passage about Our Lady: “She does not let us remain fallen and at times she takes us into her arms without judging us. Our converse with her consoles, frees and sanctifies us. Mary our Mother does not need a flood of words. She does not need us to tell her what is happening in our lives. All we need do is whisper, time and time again: ‘Hail Mary….'” (Ibid. ¶ 176.)

Francis also reaches into what we consider his best mode: critique of the sickness in modern society. His ecological encyclical, Laudato si’, setting to one side the specific policy considerations that have since come to characterize the encyclical, is a brilliant dissection of the fundamental disorders of liberalism. Francis returns to the theme throughout Gaudete et exsultate. Francis clearly identifies the symptoms of the disease when he says, “The presence of constantly new gadgets, the excitement of travel and an endless array of consumer goods at times leave no room for God’s voice to be heard. We are overwhelmed by words, by superficial pleasures and by an increasing din, filled not by joy but rather by the discontent of those whose lives have lost meaning. How can we fail to realize the need to stop this rat race and to recover the personal space needed to carry on a heartfelt dialogue with God? Finding that space may prove painful but it is always fruitful.” (Gaudete et exsultate ¶ 29.) And he identifies the bacillus at the root of the disease: “Saint John Paul II noted that ‘a society is alienated if its forms of social organization, production and consumption make it more difficult to offer this gift of self and to establish this solidarity between people’. In such a society, politics, mass communications and economic, cultural and even religious institutions become so entangled as to become an obstacle to authentic human and social development.” (Ibid. ¶ 91.)

When Francis is at his best—and he is at his best when he plays the country pastor offering blunt advice to his flock and when he criticizes the incoherence and unsustainable nature of life under neoliberalism—there is every reason to be happy that Francis returns to his favorite themes, well worn though they may be.

https://semiduplex.com/2018/04/09/this- ... ways-been/

I hope you agree with all of that, Jack3!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:52 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

That is the blog of a traditionalist blogger. The thread was titled "positive thread about Pope Francis" and I quoted text which shows his positive aspects. I do agree with all that; that's the reason why I posted them as positive things in the first place, as can be inferred from context. Your snide remark was unwarranted. I believe in the Catholic doctrine and don't need to be schooled by non-believers about it. I use a feature by which I do not see your posts by default.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:27 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Jack3 wrote:
That is the blog of a traditionalist blogger. The thread was titled "positive thread about Pope Francis" and I quoted text which shows his positive aspects. I do agree with all that; that's the reason why I posted them as positive things in the first place, as can be inferred from context. Your snide remark was unwarranted. I believe in the Catholic doctrine and don't need to be schooled by non-believers about it. I use a feature by which I do not see your posts by default.

I'm sorry you thought my comment "I hope you agree with all of that, Jack3!" was "snide". It was just meant to be a lighthearted comment. I'd like to hear people's own personal positive comments about Pope Francis rather than copying and pasting somebody else's thoughts. I'd like to keep this thread entirely positive, no arguments or negativity. Of course I can't control what other people post but that is my request, I hope it's respected. Peace be with you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:29 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
Today is Pope Francis' birthday.

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:37 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Speed Racer wrote:
Today is Pope Francis' birthday.

I didn't know that! How appropriate then is this thread!

Here's something Pope Francis said recently which got through to my heart:

"And indeed, I would say that the habitual state of the Christian should be consolation. Even in bad moments: The martyrs entered the Colosseum singing; [and] the martyrs of today – I think of the good Coptic workers on the beach in Libya, whose throats were cut – died saying “Jesus, Jesus!” There is a consolation within: a joy even in the moment of martyrdom. The habitual state of the Christian should be consolation, which is not the same as optimism, no. Optimism is something else. But consolation, that positive base… We’re talking about radiant, positive people: the positivity, the radiance of the Christian is the consolation."

https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope-fran ... y-god.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:02 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
I have not read all posts here

I have to admit I am not terribly interested in what the pope does anymore

but I would like to make the point that it is one of Satan's greatest tricks, to mix truth with error

his followers do it all the time. (No, I am not saying the pope follows Satan.. but some people think he does. I am not sure what to think.. prefer not to think about this problem @ all.. so call me an ostrich..)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:59 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Denise Dee wrote:
I'd like to hear people's own personal positive comments about Pope Francis rather than copying and pasting somebody else's thoughts.

1) The two things in the blog, the treatment of SSPX, reference to the existence of the devil, the condemnation of so-called sex change surgeries, and opposition to abortion and women's ordination are the things traditional Catholics like about him, if they do.
2) I'll add one more - dioceses for Syro Malabar Catholics.
3) I have my concerns about many things about this Pope, but if any person becomes a more virtuous, prayerful and faithful person because of his influence, I'm happy for that person.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:57 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

another way Satan mixes truth with error

the pro life issue

some so called pro life people find certain anti-life rhetoric more/less acceptable: Well, abortion is wrong but what about cases of rape or incest? or Abortion after the 5h month should be banned but not early trimester abortions

as if there is ever a time when an innocent person should suffer and be killed for the sins/crimes of the parents--or because of that person's AGE?

so we see how society in general is brainwashed. Again, the devil mixes truth (Women, at least in this freedom loving USA should be FREE.. etc) w/ error. (freedom to kill their children)

I have greatly appreciated some things the pope says, but other things are very troubling

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:41 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Denise Dee wrote:

If you have nothing good to say about him, say nothing in this thread.

You made a cheerleading post in the Lyceum?

But just to add: correcting one's error is technically a 'good' for them.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]