Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 11   [ 203 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:47 pm 
Offline
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:26 am
Posts: 102901
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
Xavier wrote:
While traveling this week for work, I've had extra time to think and pray. Even if Rome is burning, I can continue to practice the Catholic faith as best I know how.

Plus, if this man who was sexually abused by Cardinal McCarrick for 18 years can remain a Catholic, then so can I. His story is powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvYs6fo-HiE


:clap: :cloud9: :fyi:

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:48 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:38 pm
Posts: 838
Religion: Roman Catholic
The broader question is

What the heck is going on in Christ's True Church?

a lot of hideous evil, that's what

But Jesus DID tell us that few believers (not pagans, but BELIEVERS) would make it to Heaven... He even said that those who do great deeds in His name would be rejected.. :shock: I believe that is either Mt 7:21 or thereabouts or (and/or) Lk 13:24 and thereabouts..

He spoke of building your house on sand.. sand being: the ways of the world, the flesh and the devil, all of which dominate society but then, it has always been that way.. we just forget bc we didn't live in those old days which we always tend think of as being so mcuh better, more moral, etc.. Well, it IS true that the 50s in the USA were far more moral and wholesome than 2000s but human nature has always been sinful and God rejecting

In any case, people who reject the Church just bc most of its members are egregious sinners... well, I find that short-sighted, even though I can totally understand.. I have often felt very rejecting of the Church msyelf, for same reasons listed by OP

But Jesus said that he would not.. promised that He would not abandon us, would never "forsake" us.. and by gosh, that means NEVER (Mt 28:20)

His Presence is still in His Church (although of course, He is free to leave a given Church if...)

You can't abandon Jesus and HIS Church just because members therein are sinners.. In that case, you would be Church-less and Jesus spoke of the importance of the Church.. Mt 16:18.. Then we have our personal experiences that also testify to the efficacy of the Church... I can say for myself that i NEED.. don't just want but NEED that Real Presence.. and so I say that all humans need "it' also... (God is no respecter of persons, as it says somewhere in the Word)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:52 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:38 pm
Posts: 838
Religion: Roman Catholic
faithfulservant wrote:
Xavier wrote:
While traveling this week for work, I've had extra time to think and pray. Even if Rome is burning, I can continue to practice the Catholic faith as best I know how.

Plus, if this man who was sexually abused by Cardinal McCarrick for 18 years can remain a Catholic, then so can I. His story is powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvYs6fo-HiE


:clap: :cloud9: :fyi:

thank you for this, and I will now go to that site...

:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:44 pm 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:47 am
Posts: 7558
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Sabbath wrote:
Ok, this is disturbing as well...

"Pray very much the prayers of the Rosary. I alone am able still to save you from the calamities which approach. Those who place their confidence in me will be saved."


Yes, believers need to pray much. It is a gift from the Lord to have the gift of faith, and we need to use it more strongly.

Prayers on the part of many will begin to change the scene going on in the church now. Our Blessed Mother always asks us to pray during her apparitions. As we become holier the Light of Christ will cause the darkness to recede.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:04 pm 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:47 am
Posts: 7558
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Xavier wrote:
While traveling this week for work, I've had extra time to think and pray. Even if Rome is burning, I can continue to practice the Catholic faith as best I know how.

Plus, if this man who was sexually abused by Cardinal McCarrick for 18 years can remain a Catholic, then so can I. His story is powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvYs6fo-HiE


I am so happy to hear that. Thanks be to God!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:52 am 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:53 pm
Posts: 441
Religion: Looking for answers
https://catholicinbrooklyn.blogspot.com ... e.html?m=1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:28 am 
Offline
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 18788
Location: Just visiting this planet.
Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Denise Dee wrote:
https://catholicinbrooklyn.blogspot.com/2018/11/why-do-so-many-converts-reject-pope.html?m=1

The TL:DR version - yet another individual with a keyboard and a modem who forgot to take out the beam before pointing out the mote. :roll:

ETA - calling the likes of Steve Ray and Fr. Longernecker theologically shallow [my summarizations, not a direct quote] is not the way to win friends and influence people in this neck of the woods. :fyi:

_________________
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." --Douglas Adams

Image

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:12 am 
Offline
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:20 pm
Posts: 33052
Location: The countertop
Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
That's a pretty astonishing piece! I guess, as Mrs. Timmy notes, the "speck/plank" thing applies only in limited circumstances. Apart from that, there's some alarming bad thinking. For example:

Quote:
...yet they all manage to come to the same conclusion: the Catholic Church is dying and Pope Francis and his "henchman" bishops are actively participating in that destruction...

Yes, it's hard to imagine how anyone could reasonably come to that conclusion, given all that we've learned about Pope Francis and his henchmen bishops actively participating in either homosexual abuse or else covering up for it. :roll:

Quote:
Here are just a few prominent converts who have publicly rejected Pope Francis...

They've publicly rejected him? Really? Where?

It's hard to know where to start with the unspeakably grotesque accusations that these converts never really converted. Really? This author is capable of making such judgments?

_________________
Image
The Medal of St. Benedict

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:57 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 8874
Location: India
Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
This is how Ed Peters once began one of his blog posts. I think the same applies to the above linked page as well.

Quote:
What do the National Catholic Reporter and ‘The Da Vinci Code’ have in common?

They both are packed with so many factual errors and so much utter nonsense that they can only be enjoyed for the comical effect that comes precisely from packing so many errors and so much nonsense into one sitting.

_________________
"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:27 am 
Offline
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 18788
Location: Just visiting this planet.
Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
When it comes to Catholic journalism, I find this to be a handy mnemonic: “Reporter = Distorter”

_________________
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." --Douglas Adams

Image

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:54 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 8874
Location: India
Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
There is the good NCR (Register) and the bad NCR (Distorter).

_________________
"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:47 am 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:47 am
Posts: 7558
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Jack3 wrote:
There is the good NCR (Register) and the bad NCR (Distorter).


Yes!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:04 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:38 pm
Posts: 838
Religion: Roman Catholic
Denise Dee wrote:
https://catholicinbrooklyn.blogspot.com/2018/11/why-do-so-many-converts-reject-pope.html?m=1


that was an interesting read

The thing that continues to disturb me, though, is that the pope really is teaching... un-Catholic stuff

I mean, if you are divorced and remarried with no annulment, you cannot receive Communiion. You are in mortal sin: adultery. You are married to someone e lse and having sex with someone you're not married to. But the pope says that is no big deal.

I recall a saint who wrote about how she used to see Jesus, at Communion, and how reluctantly he entered the mouths of certain people who were in sin. Yes, it sounds out there but this is supposed to have been verified somehow.. and we dont have to beleive every relevation by the saints but in any case.. the point is t hat it is not hard to belive that the Eucharist which is Jesus himself, should not be ingested by someone in mortal sin. Didn't that used to be, like, the first tenet of Catholicism?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:32 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:53 pm
Posts: 441
Religion: Looking for answers
flyingaway wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
https://catholicinbrooklyn.blogspot.com/2018/11/why-do-so-many-converts-reject-pope.html?m=1


that was an interesting read

The thing that continues to disturb me, though, is that the pope really is teaching... un-Catholic stuff

I mean, if you are divorced and remarried with no annulment, you cannot receive Communiion. You are in mortal sin: adultery. You are married to someone e lse and having sex with someone you're not married to. But the pope says that is no big deal.

Who are you to judge whether or not a divorced and remarried person with no annulment is "in mortal sin"? You don't know and understand the circumstances of every divorced and remarried person.

Pope Francis never said "no big deal".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:48 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 8874
Location: India
Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
https://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/2017 ... ally-says/

_________________
"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:52 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 8874
Location: India
Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
https://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/2017 ... s-at-risk/

_________________
"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:21 am 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:53 pm
Posts: 441
Religion: Looking for answers
I see, Jack3, so you would rather choose your own interpretation or somebody on the Internet's interpretation instead of the Pope's interpretation. If I were to do the same about some other issue, what would you say?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:14 am 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 9:16 pm
Posts: 919
Religion: Catholic
Dorothy B. wrote:
Sabbath wrote:
Ok, this is disturbing as well...

"Pray very much the prayers of the Rosary. I alone am able still to save you from the calamities which approach. Those who place their confidence in me will be saved."


Yes, believers need to pray much. It is a gift from the Lord to have the gift of faith, and we need to use it more strongly.

Prayers on the part of many will begin to change the scene going on in the church now. Our Blessed Mother always asks us to pray during her apparitions. As we become holier the Light of Christ will cause the darkness to recede.



That is not what I found disturbing, but rather our Blessed Mother telling us that She alone is able to save us from the calamities that approach, and that if we put our confidence in her we will be saved.

_________________
"Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death, amen!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:22 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 8874
Location: India
Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Denise Dee wrote:
I see, Jack3, so you would rather choose your own interpretation or somebody on the Internet's interpretation instead of the Pope's interpretation. If I were to do the same about some other issue, what would you say?

That canon 915 is not about subjective guilt is taught by the very Pope who approved the code of canon law. Now, I ask you to tell me where the current Pope gave a contradictory interpretation of can. 915.

PS You have already received responses on Papal authority and assent. You should read and understand them. You are asking again what has been answered already.

_________________
"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questioning Catholicism because of Pope Francis
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:23 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 8874
Location: India
Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
https://catholicinbrooklyn.blogspot.com/2018/11/why-do-so-many-converts-reject-pope.html?m=1

The TL:DR version - yet another individual with a keyboard and a modem who forgot to take out the beam before pointing out the mote. :roll:

. :fyi:

It is not just a beam/plank but an entire forest you have in your eye if you think a person has never repented just because you read a sentence in their Wikipedia pages.

The important point she misses is that most of these blogger-converts did try to see the Pope in the best light and gave him the benefit of doubt as long as it was logically possible.

_________________
"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 11   [ 203 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


Jump to: