Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 61 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: The Purpose of Purgatory
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:49 am 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
So Purgatory has been explained to me two ways

1. Purgatory is a post-mortem period of punishment which satisfies the debts of venial sins committed in this life.
2. Purgatory is post-mortem suffering which perfects the soul.

In the case of (2) it seems that Purgatory is primarily addressing the internal disorder caused by sin, but in the case of (1) it would appear that Purgatory is primarily addressing the external debt of sin.

(1) and (2) are not mutually exclusive per se, but if (2) is the case I do not understand how indulgences work.

Indulgences satisfy a debt, but do not make one internally holy correct? So how would an indulgence help a soul in purgatory if the sufferings are directed towards internal disorders?

Tiber swim team '13

Post subject: Re: The Purpose of Purgatory
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:04 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
I don't understand the question

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:10 pm 
Master
Master

Doom wrote:
I don't understand the question

Under (1)

I commit venial sins A, B, and C. I go to Purgatory, there I am given a punishment corresponding to the debt due to A, B, and C. And indulgence allows me to pay part of that debt.

Under (2)
I commit venial sins A, B, and C. Because of said sins, I am less holy than I should be. I go to purgatory and am punished until I am as holy as I should be.

But indulgences do not make one holy, so how would an indulgence help me if Purgatory is like (2)

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:15 pm 
King of Cool

Who says that indulgences don't make one holy? Where's your citation for that assertion?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:18 pm 
Master
Master

Doom wrote:
Who says that indulgences don't make one holy? Where's your citation for that assertion?

The Church has authority over indulgences, not over making people holy. Ergo indulgences do not make people holy.

CCC 1471 defines indulgences simply as the remission of temporal punishment as they would operate under (1)

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:03 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
I understand what you're asking but not sure of the answer, so take this for what it's worth.

Going by memory of what I've read, purgatory is about retributive justice - paying off the temporal punishment due to sin. It doesn't make one holier, as that can only happen in this life. Once one dies, the time for spiritual growth is over (no more ability to merit, or grow in sanctifying grace). Your level of holiness is set so to speak.

I know a lot of people explain purgatory with the metaphor of being dirty and having that dirty scrubbed off before one gets to heaven, but I'm not sure if that literally means one is growing in holiness in the after life.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:22 pm 
Master
Master

DominiCanis wrote:
I know a lot of people explain purgatory with the metaphor of being dirty and having that dirty scrubbed off before one gets to heaven, but I'm not sure if that literally means one is growing in holiness in the after life.

There was a quote from the priest last night at mass from Pope Benedict XVI suggesting it was the necessary punishments to become the images of God.

Otherwise I see it as largely retributive because that seems to be entailed by the doctrine of indulgences

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:10 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I would definitely tend to hold the "both/and" view.

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:26 pm 
Master
Master

ThomisticCajunAggie wrote:
I would definitely tend to hold the "both/and" view.

In which case, purgatory would involve some punishments not remitted by indulgences.

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:28 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Why? Both/and means the theories apply together, not some of each.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:46 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

:iws

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:47 pm 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

In (2) a soul in purgatory requires something indulgences do not give.

It would seem to entail one can die in grace and with a plenary indulgence and still have to suffer to become holier.

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:58 pm 
King of Cool

ForeverFaithful wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

It would seem to entail one can die in grace and with a plenary indulgence and still have to suffer to become holier.

It has already been explained that one CANNOT 'become holier' after death, either on purgatory or in any other way. So no, one does not have to suffer in purgatory 'to become holier' one cannot achieve that which is ontologically impossible in purgatory.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:19 pm 
Master
Master

Doom wrote:
ForeverFaithful wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

It has already been explained that one CANNOT 'become holier' after death, either on purgatory or in any other way. So no, one does not have to suffer in purgatory 'to become holier' one cannot achieve that which is ontologically impossible in purgatory.

So (2) is again disqualified.

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:04 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
They are two ways of looking at the same process. You're introducing a mistaken distinction.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:14 am 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
They are two ways of looking at the same process. You're introducing a mistaken distinction.

I think I found what my priest was quoting from:

Spes Salvi
47. Some recent theologians are of the opinion that the fire which both burns and saves is Christ himself, the Judge and Saviour. The encounter with him is the decisive act of judgement. Before his gaze all falsehood melts away. This encounter with him, as it burns us, transforms and frees us, allowing us to become truly ourselves. All that we build during our lives can prove to be mere straw, pure bluster, and it collapses. Yet in the pain of this encounter, when the impurity and sickness of our lives become evident to us, there lies salvation. His gaze, the touch of his heart heals us through an undeniably painful transformation “as through fire”. But it is a blessed pain, in which the holy power of his love sears through us like a flame, enabling us to become totally ourselves and thus totally of God.

I guess I have trouble seeing how a retributive penalty is transformative. There's some nuance I am missing.

A retributive penalty is a payment of debt, a transformation is an internal process, are those not really distinct?

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:06 am 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
ForeverFaithful wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

I think I found what my priest was quoting from:

Spes Salvi
47. Some recent theologians are of the opinion that the fire which both burns and saves is Christ himself, the Judge and Saviour. The encounter with him is the decisive act of judgement. Before his gaze all falsehood melts away. This encounter with him, as it burns us, transforms and frees us, allowing us to become truly ourselves. All that we build during our lives can prove to be mere straw, pure bluster, and it collapses. Yet in the pain of this encounter, when the impurity and sickness of our lives become evident to us, there lies salvation. His gaze, the touch of his heart heals us through an undeniably painful transformation “as through fire”. But it is a blessed pain, in which the holy power of his love sears through us like a flame, enabling us to become totally ourselves and thus totally of God.

I guess I have trouble seeing how a retributive penalty is transformative. There's some nuance I am missing.

A retributive penalty is a payment of debt, a transformation is an internal process, are those not really distinct?

But, indulgences are gained by doing things which lead to perfection in holiness. It's not just community service where you are in a tit for tat paying of debt, but also participating in the life of the Church toward holy living and praying. So, I would say that indulgences do address the both/and. This is where the "attachment to sin" part of the procedure comes in. A plenary indulgence is more difficult than people think, because there is a call to holiness in its success that accomplishes what purgatory will... and that is dying to self to detach from sin.

So, I see the discipline of gaining indulgences as serving both aspects of the purgatorial experience. There is the punitive "community service" aspect that addresses "time served," but also the specific holy acts and call to detach from sin as addressing the perfection of the soul.

FJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:31 am 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Not to mention that a person needs to put himself in a state of grace by confessing his sins, making an act of contrition, uniting himself with the Lord in the reception of Eucharist, and prayer for another (the Holy Father). I would say that there is much in the idea of indulgences that has the both/and in it.

FJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:02 am 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Sorry Doom... One last thing...

I would say that the requirement to be free from attachment to sin, otherwise the indulgence is partial, implies that something is indeed "left over" to do in purgatory... namely personal perfection in holiness.

FJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:56 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
ForeverFaithful wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Yes, which is given by purgatory… I don't understand your objection. Indulgences help with some things but not with others. So what?

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten

http://twitter.com/katolikken

http://thecatholic.wordpress.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 61 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next