Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Power of Exorcists
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:07 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
So I have read and heard an exorcist requires the authority of the bishop to cast out demons.

However, the Gospel we read of effective exorcism done without the authority of the Apostles.

Can exorcism be done without Church authorisation or not?

Tiber swim team '13

Post subject: Re: Power of Exorcists
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:33 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
No, at least with respect to major exorcisms. And from what I've been told, demons know that and will tell a would-be exorcist so. You will understand that I am not eager to test this.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:39 pm 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
No, at least with respect to major exorcisms. And from what I've been told, demons know that and will tell a would-be exorcist so. You will understand that I am not eager to test this.

I hope no one is.

But I wonder what is meant by these verses (Luke 9:49-50)

And John, answering, said: Master, we saw a certain man casting out devils in thy name, and we forbade him, because he followeth not with us.And Jesus said to him: Forbid him not; for he that is not against you, is for you.

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:54 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The state of affairs during Jesus's earthly ministry does not necessarily correspond to the current state of affairs.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:48 am 

Religion: Looking for answers
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The state of affairs during Jesus's earthly ministry does not necessarily correspond to the current state of affairs.

Couldn't the same be said about many things, the current state of affairs in regard to marriage, divorce, relationships, homosexual relationships, etc?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:34 am 
Master
Master

Denise Dee wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Couldn't the same be said about many things, the current state of affairs in regard to marriage, divorce, relationships, homosexual relationships, etc?

The OP pertains to a question of authority, just as there were different arrangements of authority before Christ (the transition from the pre-Mosaic system of patriarch priests to the institutional levitical priesthood) it makes perfect sense for such a transition to take place after the establishment of Holy Orders or on Pentecost once Christ has ascended and given the Great Commision to the Apostles. This would be like a nation adopting a new constitution.

But in regards to marriage, Christ restored the true meaning of marriage and gave it to His Church in the sacrament of matrimony. He did not leave us the power to change it, and in consequence, it will remain as it was when He defined it both in Eden and in the Gospel until marriage is no more.

As for homosexuality, we're not talking about a constitutional element of the covenant or the definition of a sacrament, but the intrinsic nature of a thing. A square is a square, and it will never be a circle. Since our sexual faculties exist for a purpose, actions directly exclusive of that purpose are per se and necessarily wrong. Contraception, homosexuality and the like will always be wrong.

Tiber swim team '13