Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 33 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: children's books
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:58 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Moby Dick is deadly dull.

I've tried and tried, tried the audio book, I've accepted that I will NEVER finish Moby Dick.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:00 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
When I was that age, I loved Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, Three Musketeers, Swiss Family Robinson, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, David Copperfield, the Anne of books, Little Women.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:36 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Another good one that I am surprised no one mentioned yet is Treasure Island. It is sometimes claimed that this was originally written as a book for adults and it was only later that it was relegated to 'children's literature'. This is false, Treasure Island was always intended as a story for children, which is why it was first serialized in a literary journal that was devoted to children's literature.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:20 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
I have girls that age, so I'm mostly familiar with that group. So the aforementioned Anne books are good as are the original American Girl series (not the new ones -- they're garbage). My nine year old daughter is very much into the Magic Tree House series. There's also a series about a young girl detective that escapes my mind. She also loves Louis Sachar, so Wayside School Is Falling Down, Sideway Stories from Wayside School, There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom, and so on. You mentioned seven year olds, and when she was that age, she was really into Fancy Nancy books. If they read particularly well, they could probably get into the Chronicles of Narnia, and if one of them is a boy, when I was in fourth grade, I LOVED the Chronicles of Prydain. My nine year old also has the A Wrinkle in Time series on her list. I don't know much about The Princess Tales, but I've heard something about them from her, too.

As far as all the classics you've mentioned, I've not even bothered to try to recommend most of them to Elly. There are some on my list, I know, but they're not the bulk on purpose. It's not that she isn't smart enough to read them. It's just that they're written in a style that is so very far removed from the way books are written and stories are even told these days that I think she'd have trouble not only getting into them but then transitioning to the things her friends are reading and that they're talking about in school. I mean, if they can read them, great (I did). But there's enough "new" stuff that is worth reading . . . I mean, I honestly can't imagine Elly having a meaningful conversation with her friends about Tom Sawyer. I could (with SOME of my friends) almost thirty years ago. But I figure that even Tom Sawyer was a new release once.

So there ya go, my $.02.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:47 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auLBLk4ibAk

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:58 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

kage_ar wrote:
When I was that age, I loved Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, Three Musketeers, Swiss Family Robinson, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, David Copperfield, the Anne of books, Little Women.

Ah. The best of Edmund Wells.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:30 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
kage_ar wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Moby Dick is deadly dull.

I've tried and tried, tried the audio book, I've accepted that I will NEVER finish Moby Dick.

i saw the movie and read the comic book... does that count?

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:10 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I recommend the abridged versions of a lot of the classics found in the "Great Illustrated Classics" series. In most cases, the full novel is better, but maybe not as easy to appreciate for a kid (because there's frequently passages without much plot that are difficult for them to wade through). I also loved the Wishbone editions of books when I was a kid (but maybe they don't print those anymore, since the show's not on anymore...)

https://www.greatillustratedclassics.com/Default.asp [That's the site for the "Great Illustrated Classics".]

I also second a lot of the recommendations that have also been made. (The Chronicles of Prydain are excellent; so is The Hobbit and the Narnia series. I also loved Treasure Island, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Robinson Crusoe, The Swiss Family Robinson, and Robin Hood. White's "The Sword in the Stone" is great, but I think it's better for older kids - especially if they can read all of White's "The Once and Future King."

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:56 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

ThomisticCajunAggie wrote:
I recommend the abridged versions of a lot of the classics found in the "Great Illustrated Classics" series. In most cases, the full novel is better, but maybe not as easy to appreciate for a kid (because there's frequently passages without much plot that are difficult for them to wade through). I also loved the Wishbone editions of books when I was a kid (but maybe they don't print those anymore, since the show's not on anymore...)

https://www.greatillustratedclassics.com/Default.asp [That's the site for the "Great Illustrated Classics".]

I also second a lot of the recommendations that have also been made. (The Chronicles of Prydain are excellent; so is The Hobbit and the Narnia series. I also loved Treasure Island, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Robinson Crusoe, The Swiss Family Robinson, and Robin Hood. White's "The Sword in the Stone" is great, but I think it's better for older kids - especially if they can read all of White's "The Once and Future King."

Yes to all in your ultimate para.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:11 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The last book of The Once and Future King makes Rama look action-packed. But the rest is very good to good.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:38 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The last book of The Once and Future King makes Rama look action-packed. But the rest is very good to good.

You mean The Book of Merlyn? That isn't is every edition, it was rejected by the publisher and was only added in some editions after White's death. But I don't agree with your assessment. It records a long conversation, yes, so there is very little action. But the conversation explains everything, it ties everything in the entire book together and finally explains what Merlin's plan was. Without that last chapter, the book not only feel incomplete, but the story is almost completely incoherent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:40 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

No, I mean The Candle in the Wind. Page after page of White's arguments for pacifism, put into Arthur's thoughts.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:18 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Substantial portions of The Book of Merlyn are things that were cut from The Sword in the Stone when that book was put into The Once and Future King.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 33 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2