Post subject: There can be no return to the syllabus
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:34 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
-Cardinal Ratzinger

https://books.google.co.in/books?id=pEa ... er&f=false

What does this mean?

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

Post subject: Re: There can be no return to the syllabus
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:52 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The reference is to the Syllabus of Errors.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:42 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
That page is not available in my preview so I couldn't venture to guess what it means without seeing the context.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:52 pm 
Paladin
Paladin

Religion: Catholic
Googled it:

Quote:
Does this mean that the Council should be revoked? Certainly not. It means only that the real reception of the Council has not yet even begun. What devastated the Church in the decade after the Council was not the Council but the refusal to accept it. This becomes clear precisely in the history of the influence of Gaudium et spes. What was identified with the Council was, for the most part, the expression of an attitude that did not coincide with the statements to be found in the text itself, although it is recognizable as a tendency in its development and in some of its individual formulations. The task is not, therefore, to suppress the Council but to discover the real Council and to deepen its true intention in the light of the present experience. That means that there can be no return to the Syllabus,which may have marked the first stage in the confrontation with liberalism and a newly conceived Marxism but cannot be the last stage. In the long run, neither embrace nor ghetto can solve for Christians the problem of the modern world. The fact is, as Hans Urs von Balthasar pointed out as early as 1952, that the "demolition of the bastions" is a long-overdue task.

Aside from the stuff about the council - which to me means nothing as I believe many parts of the council have no definite meaning to really "accept” it in the first place – I assume he means you cannot read the Syllabus of Errors and have it fully confront the 1960s world. I don’t think Vatican II can do that either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:11 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
I don't think he literally means the Syllabus of Errors, I think he simply meant 'the mentality that produced the Syllabus of Errors', in other words, the kind of intransigent, 'me against the world' mentality of the late 19th century Church which believed that it just issue a condemnation and you would never have to actually engage with anyone, and somehow that was enough, he's saying 'we can't go back to that kind of papacy' and I think he was right. Let's not forget that in the context of his times, Pius IX was a failed pope.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:34 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The reference is to the Syllabus of Errors.

I understood that; I was asking what the sentence meant.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite