Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Middle Knowledge: How does that work?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:23 am 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I would substitute the word "allows" for "causes" in Thomist point #2, but otherwise, while I could quibble, that's a reasonable approximation.

So Fr. Most seems to suggest the people God allows to stay in sin where foreknown to be more resistant to grace than the elect (which does not entail meriting election so says Fr. Most because their role is a "metaphysical zero")

Does the Thomistic account allow for such a distinction?

Does Christ allow for such a distinction?

And he answering, said to them: Think you that these Galileans were sinners above all the men of Galilee, because they suffered such things? No, I say to you: but unless you shall do penance, you shall all likewise perish. (Luke 13:2-3)

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:51 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Quick clarification

1. All orthodox - complete predestination, including both grace and glory, before foreseen merits

2. Thomists and most Congruists and Fr. Most (sort of), predestination to glory is prior to grace in order of intention and hence unconditional

3. Most other Molinists, while predestination to grace is unconditional, God predestines to glory based on foreseen merits (that are given in the election to grace)

4. All orthodox - the decree of damnation, i.e positive reprobatikn, i.e God's judgment that Bob goes to hell, is based on foreseen demerits

5. Thomists and most Congruists, negative reprobation, i.e the permission of God to fall into sin, which most Thomists hold as "not being elected" rather than a positive will to exclude, precedes in intention positive reprobation and so is unconditional

6. Most other Molinists, and Fr. Most, hold negative reprobation conditional.

This, I think is nonsense. It rests on Fr. Most's willingness to radically autonomize the will, denying God is first act of all acts, hold a wildly inconsistent metaphysics, and rashly impugn the reading of scripture by the Fathers and Theologians (apparently Jean Marie Garrigou-Lagrange is sufficient authority to dismiss all other exegesis)

This means it is unfair to Molinists to group Most with them.

Also, his account of Thomism in his opus magnum reads as if a Thomist killed his mom. He, and I mean this, is dishonest in the subject, quoting Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange with "..." Putting words in his mouth he was in fact refuting. Moreover , he begs the question a lot.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:14 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Thank you. You are much better versed in these things than I.

Need something to read?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2