Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Treasury of Merit
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:27 am 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
I might be slow, but I don't understand this after much searching.

The Catechism reads

Quote:
1476 We also call these spiritual goods of the communion of saints the Church's treasury, which is "not the sum total of the material goods which have accumulated during the course of the centuries. On the contrary the 'treasury of the Church' is the infinite value, which can never be exhausted, which Christ's merits have before God. They were offered so that the whole of mankind could be set free from sin and attain communion with the Father. In Christ, the Redeemer himself, the satisfactions and merits of his Redemption exist and find their effficacy."87

1477 "This treasury includes as well the prayers and good works of the Blessed Virgin Mary. They are truly immense, unfathomable, and even pristine in their value before God. In the treasury, too, are the prayers and good works of all the saints, all those who have followed in the footsteps of Christ the Lord and by his grace have made their lives holy and carried out the mission the Father entrusted to them. In this way they attained their own salvation and at the same time cooperated in saving their brothers in the unity of the Mystical Body."88

So my question is, what do the merits of the saints even add to the treasury? Christ's merits are already infinite, and the Church already can grant indulgences from them, so what do the merits of the saints add to ability of the Church to remit punishment?

Tiber swim team '13