Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bp. Barron and The Door to Hell
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:48 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Ok, I know that people on this forum much wiser than I have issues with Bp. Robert Barron, especially in his beliefs regarding hell. My question really isn’t about what is or isn’t compatible with the CCC and/or the magisterium re: Bp. Barron’s beliefs. At least, I don’t think it is.

For context, I’m including a link to the excerpt from Bp. Barron’s Book Catholicism from which my question originates, specifically from the final paragraph. Long story short, if I understand correctly what I read, Bp. Barron acknowledges that hell does indeed exist, and the Catholic Church does not state definitively that any particular individual is known to be there (I know that much is correct). He then goes on to say that, were there (for lack of a better word) a “formula” for ensuring condemnation to hell, it would mean that the power of sin is greater than God’s mercy and grace (which we know to be false). Am I correct in my understanding of the passage so far, and if there is a controversy with the assertions up to now, could someone please explain?

Now for the part I’d like to discuss. Bp. Barron follows by saying this:
Quote:
As C.S. Lewis put it so memorably: the door that closes one into Hell (if there is anyone there) is locked from the inside not from the outside.

To the best of anyone’s understanding, is this a valid analogy? It seems to meet all the requirements in that God’s saving grace and mercy are available to a gift paid by Christ’s sacrifice on the Cross, it has redemptive power over all sin, but it must be freely accepted. To reject God’s offer of redemptive grace is to close the door to hell behind oneself, at some point (death, no?), that door is locked by the unrepentant, never to be unlocked.

Did I get the analogy right, and if so, is it a valid analogy? Thanks for your help.

ETA the link I promised and subsequently forgot: https://www.wordonfire.org/resources/ar ... ctive/405/

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

Post subject: Re: Bp. Barron and The Door to Hell
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:48 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
He's right that that belief can be ascribed to C. S. Lewis.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:17 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
We do know that there are people in hell--namely, the Devil and his angels.

We also know that there is at least one "formula" for condemnation to hell--namely, dying with unrepented mortal sin on your soul. I don't know precisely what he's getting at when he talks about the "formula," and didn't notice your source for that thought in the link, but if he's denying what I just mentioned, I'd say he's off the reservation.

The link also includes standard-issue modernist Catholic mockery of the teaching of St. Thomas Aquinas, naturally ripped out of context and hence distorted. That's just the balthasarian thing. They're contractually required to do that kind of thing. I think it shows what we need to know about their relation to the traditional teaching of the Church, though.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:54 pm 

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
In all fairness, gherkin, “formula” was my word, not Bp. Barron’s. In a struggle to find the right word, it appears I chose the wrong one. My apologies. :oops:

But the rest of your pickly post did pretty much provide the information I was seeking, as well as valuable insights as to the error that pervades this line of thinking. You have succeeded in evading a ban, at least for today. :wink:

Thanks!

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:02 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
gherkin wrote:
We do know that there are people in hell--namely, the Devil and his angels.

We also know that there is at least one "formula" for condemnation to hell--namely, dying with unrepented mortal sin on your soul. I don't know precisely what he's getting at when he talks about the "formula," and didn't notice your source for that thought in the link, but if he's denying what I just mentioned, I'd say he's off the reservation.

The link also includes standard-issue modernist Catholic mockery of the teaching of St. Thomas Aquinas, naturally ripped out of context and hence distorted. That's just the balthasarian thing. They're contractually required to do that kind of thing. I think it shows what we need to know about their relation to the traditional teaching of the Church, though.

when i think "people" , i think flesh and blood... if true, are the devil and his angels "people" :scratch:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:53 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Ok, I know that people on this forum much wiser than I have issues with Bp. Robert Barron, especially in his beliefs regarding hell. My question really isn’t about what is or isn’t compatible with the CCC and/or the magisterium re Bp. Barron’s beliefs. At least, I don’t think it is.

For context, I’m including a link to the excerpt from Bp. Barron’s Book Catholicism from which my question originates, specifically from the final paragraph. Long story short, if I understand correctly what I read, Bp. Barron acknowledges that hell does indeed exist, and the Catholic Church does not state definitively that any particular individual is known to be there (I know that much is correct).

Except that isn't correct, because we know for a certainty that Judas Iscariot is there, Our Lord specifically and directly said so, there is no other way to interpret his curse of Judas that 'it would be better for him if he had not been born' except to interpret it categorically as a statement that Judas is in hell.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:19 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
faithfulservant wrote:
when i think "people" , i think flesh and blood... if true, are the devil and his angels "people" :scratch:

Sure

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:39 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Persons are any incommunicable hypostases of an intellectual essence.

It is a name of dignity in fact more properly said of angels. So if the higher nature can go to hell...

But what makes this error more egregious is not the ignoring of scripture that plainly has humans lost (after all Bishop Barron rejects Catholic tradition on how to read scripture, especially history... He has an almost Marcionist view of the OT)

No. It is the pathological need never to speak of the damned without the immediate addition of parenthetical doubt. The damned (if there are any) absolutely neuters the force of any statement following.

Let me be frank, his strong point is his weakest. He is acutely aware of what offends and what attracts modern ears. But this leads him to downplay or outright deny unsettling truths. See his strained attempt to explain violence in the OT.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:53 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Doom wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Ok, I know that people on this forum much wiser than I have issues with Bp. Robert Barron, especially in his beliefs regarding hell. My question really isn’t about what is or isn’t compatible with the CCC and/or the magisterium re Bp. Barron’s beliefs. At least, I don’t think it is.

For context, I’m including a link to the excerpt from Bp. Barron’s Book Catholicism from which my question originates, specifically from the final paragraph. Long story short, if I understand correctly what I read, Bp. Barron acknowledges that hell does indeed exist, and the Catholic Church does not state definitively that any particular individual is known to be there (I know that much is correct).

Except that isn't correct, because we know for a certainty that Judas Iscariot is there, Our Lord specifically and directly said so, there is no other way to interpret his curse of Judas that 'it would be better for him if he had not been born' except to interpret it categorically as a statement that Judas is in hell.

St. John Paul II thought otherwise, though I think he was wrong.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:55 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Let me be frank, his strong point is his weakest.

This is pretty much a general rule for anyone.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:06 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Now that I'm on a computer rather than a phone:

Lewis's statement, however unhappily phrased it may be, is correct in that there is nothing in Heaven that the damned are capable of enjoying.

Here's how Pohle/Preuss put it:

Quote:
When the damned enter Hell, where grace ceases and conversion becomes impossible, they are smitten with great confusion of spirit and a corresponding sentiment of impenitence. Being permanently deprived of grace makes them enemies of God. It is not necessary to conceive this state as a sort of confirmed “Satanism.” No doubt there are degrees of malice and impenitence in Hell. But all the damned hate God more or less because He is no longer their friend. Herein lies the dreadfulness of eternal punishment. The natural will, being a gift of God, remains good; but it no longer wills that which is good. It wills the bad, or if it wills the good, wills it with a wrong intention. St. Thomas explains the reason as follows: “The damned are absolutely turned away from the final end of the rightly directed will. The will cannot be good except it be ordered to that end, so that, even if [the damned] willed something good, they would not will it in the right way, i.e. so that their will might be called good.”

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:12 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Peregrinator wrote:

PROBLEM OF PAIN, 1st American ed., chap. 8, p. 115.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:12 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
GKC wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:

I just finished reading that again for the umpteenth time a couple of nights ago. I had just completed Miracles, so I guess I'm on a bit of a Lewis run (I finished The Abolition of Man for the first time, actually, a few months back). After I finish Wright's Evil and the Justice of God, I want to go through Lewis' Grief Observed again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:36 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

theJack wrote:
GKC wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:

I just finished reading that again for the umpteenth time a couple of nights ago. I had just completed Miracles, so I guess I'm on a bit of a Lewis run (I finished The Abolition of Man for the first time, actually, a few months back). After I finish Wright's Evil and the Justice of God, I want to go through Lewis' Grief Observed again.

Keep it up. I tend to let too much time go between reading Lewis. OTOH, my wife is rereading the Space Trilogy, and greatly enjoying it. I read McGrath's bio a couple of months ago, and started his INTELLECTUAL WORLD OF C.S. LEWIS and Reppert's C.S. LEWIS'S DANGEROUS IDEA, but got distracted by shiny things.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:00 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
8-)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:01 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

faithfulservant wrote:
8-)

That was one of them.