Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 8 of 8   [ 151 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Limbus Infantium
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:02 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
MichaelD14 wrote:
Understanding Natural Law would lead one to understand the abomination of abortion would make a martyr of the lost soul. Such a soul would not be in Hell.

How is abortion, generally speaking, martyrdom?

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:58 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
MichaelD14 wrote:
gherkin wrote:

I'm reading this as an attempt to say what Limbo is. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Are the first two sentences a statement about what you think Limbo is, and the rest of the post an attempt to argue against it? :scratch:

I am noting Thomasism remains the predominant Philosophy of the Catholic Church.

Understanding Natural Law would lead one to understand the abomination of abortion would make a martyr of the lost soul. Such a soul would not be in Hell.

Of course, the back and forth discussion between you and The Pickle is predicated on the belief that unborn children and born infants have some guilt of sin upon them, even though they have no rational ability to choose evil, which is the heart of sin.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:03 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Hijack threads much?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:28 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Hijack threads much?

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: Are you saying, Father, that the idea of Original Sin and Limbo are not relatives?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:13 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I am saying that you've covered this ground repeatedly.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:37 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I point out that the Council of Trent made the doctrine of Original Sin binding on Catholics.

You say something about the Eastern point of view and something about St. Augustine.

Someone asks if Eastern Catholics are bound by the decisions of Trent etc.

And so on and so on.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:43 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I guess it was your thread to begin with, so I guess it's not a hijack, exactly, or at worst a self-hijack, but I still maintain that we've gone over this ground repeatedly.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:51 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Light of the East wrote:
MichaelD14 wrote:
gherkin wrote:

I'm reading this as an attempt to say what Limbo is. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Are the first two sentences a statement about what you think Limbo is, and the rest of the post an attempt to argue against it? :scratch:

I am noting Thomasism remains the predominant Philosophy of the Catholic Church.

Of course, the back and forth discussion between you and The Pickle is predicated on the belief that unborn children and born infants have some guilt of sin upon them, even though they have no rational ability to choose evil, which is the heart of sin.

I reject your formulation of the belief in question. But I do grant that the conversation is predicated on Catholic dogma, which includes, inescapably, the teaching of Original Sin and of the necessity of baptism. That's not unusual in a conversation between Catholics, I'd have thought. Hoped.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:23 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

gherkin wrote:
Light of the East wrote:
MichaelD14 wrote:
gherkin wrote:

I reject your formulation of the belief in question. But I do grant that the conversation is predicated on Catholic dogma, which includes, inescapably, the teaching of Original Sin and of the necessity of baptism. That's not unusual in a conversation between Catholics, I'd have thought. Hoped.

Just call it an ancestral curse instead of original sin.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:45 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

gherkin wrote:
Light of the East wrote:
MichaelD14 wrote:
gherkin wrote:

Understood. However, you will find that Eastern Churches of all varieties and stripes do not accept Augustine's formulations of Original Sin and the guilt he believed came upon each and every person who is conceived.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:57 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Since we're all nice and peaceable these days, can I ask you to reformulate that without burying a knife in St. Augustine? The doctrine did not arise new-born from his brow, nor did he fill out its borders, and you're doing yourself no intellectual favors here.

Need something to read?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 8 of 8   [ 151 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8