Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mary's Knowledge
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:48 am 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
If the humanity of Chirst knows all facts on account of its dominion over all of heaven and earth,

Would not Mary share a similar knowledge in the beatific vision on account of her queenship of heaven and earth?

What would Mary not know?

Tiber swim team '13

Post subject: Re: Mary's Knowledge
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:56 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
ForeverFaithful wrote:

She knows that which God has willed her to know, and nothing more. Of course what she doesn't know may be very little, or nothing at all. I would speculate that she doesn't know the day of Christ's second coming.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:16 am 
Master
Master

Peregrinator wrote:
ForeverFaithful wrote:

She knows that which God has willed her to know, and nothing more. Of course what she doesn't know may be very little, or nothing at all. I would speculate that she doesn't know the day of Christ's second coming.

So I guess what I'm saying is this:

"Yet no beatified intellect fails to know in the Word whatever pertains to itself. Now to Christ and to His dignity all things to some extent belong, inasmuch as all things are subject to Him. " (ST III q 10 a 2)

It would seem then that Mary must share a similar extent of knowledge, as she is queen of the universe.

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:00 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
ForeverFaithful wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
ForeverFaithful wrote:

"Yet no beatified intellect fails to know in the Word whatever pertains to itself. Now to Christ and to His dignity all things to some extent belong, inasmuch as all things are subject to Him. " (ST III q 10 a 2)

It would seem then that Mary must share a similar extent of knowledge, as she is queen of the universe.
Did the Queen Mother in the Old Testament share all authority and knowledge that the king had?

And doesn't any analogy break down at some point?

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten

http://twitter.com/katolikken

http://thecatholic.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:34 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
CC is correct. Mary's role as queen of the universe is not to rule it as Christ does.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:38 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Does your question pertain to Mary as she is now, or when she was on earth?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 pm 

Like the angels and saints, whatever she knows now, she knows through the Church:

Quote:
His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms ~ Eph. 3:10

While on Earth, she was described by Luke as 'pondering these things in her heart'. Likewise when Mary and Joseph found him in the Temple, Luke also relates that they did not understand what He was saying.
What Jesus may or may not have told her when He reached adulthood, is for anyone to guess.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:01 am 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Does your question pertain to Mary as she is now, or when she was on earth?

As she is now. I am not aware of any indication she received the beatification prior to her assumption.

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:03 am 
Master
Master

Closet Catholic wrote:
ForeverFaithful wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
ForeverFaithful wrote:

Did the Queen Mother in the Old Testament share all authority and knowledge that the king had?

And doesn't any analogy break down at some point?

I don't think it's a matter sharing the authority in so far as execution, but rather at least from that quote from the summa, it seems to be that insofar as something is subject to the beatified soul it must be known by the beatified soul.

The king has more authority and executive power, but all in domain are subject to the king and queen equally.

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:05 am 
Master
Master

To clarify:

Subject equally in that there subjection is equally factual, it really is in both cases;

Subject unequally insofar as we owe more to the king than the queen, and of course in the case of Christ a qualitatively different kind of allegiance is required.

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:43 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You're misconstruing the nature of Mary's Queenship, I believe, and coming rather too close to making her divine.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:18 am 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
You're misconstruing the nature of Mary's Queenship, I believe, and coming rather too close to making her divine.

Well in that case; I'll ask what is the upper limit for the knowledge of beatified souls other than Christ's?

Mary as the must holy, most obtain to that upper limit. The difference between that upper limit and beyond it should be qualitative right?

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:33 am 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

I found this article http://www.motherofallpeoples.com/2006/ ... knowledge/

It seems like my question is answered:

"However, it would not necessarily follow from this fact that Mary knows the ultimate fate of every human being—who will be saved, who will be lost. On this question we can have only conjectural knowledge. Yet, the great theologian Suárez did not hesitate to express the opinion that Mary’s perception of created objects in the beatific vision embraces all things actual—past, present, and future—except those that are proper to her divine Son. (37) Such extensive knowledge might include the discernment of the saved and the lost, past, present, and future"

If there is no objection to this opinion, it seems to resolve my difficulties.

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:02 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm not in a position to check right now, but I believe the place I checked last night was not for of Suarez's opinion on this.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I definitely think Mary's knowledge extends to all that actually exists in the present, and I see no objection to saying it extends to all that has actually existed at some point in time. I think we need to be careful with the question of future contingents, though. I think one can certainly believe that God gives Mary knowledge about some things in the future, even to the point of knowing who the predestined will be (since they are her children), but I definitely don't think she knows everything about those things which will exist in the future.

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:05 pm 

She knows all things that are, insofar as she knows God.