All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sorrow and the Beatific Vision
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:02 am 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
Sorry I've been gone so long.

I was speaking with a priest recently who was sure that the Virgin Mary experiences anxiety in heaven, and he claimed that the Cure of Arcs mentions this.

On his side, I must admit that it would seem from the private revelation of Our Lady of Akita it would appear Our Lady does weep.

Yet Aquinas writes of the angels and the blessed:

"Angels do not grieve, either for sins or for the pains inflicted on men. For grief and sorrow, according to Augustine (De Civ. Dei xiv, 15) are for those things which occur against our will. But nothing happens in the world contrary to the will of the angels and the other blessed, because their will cleaves entirely to the ordering of Divine justice; while nothing happens in the world save what is effected or permitted by Divine justice. "(ST I q 113 a 7)

Is there a way to reconcile these that I am not seeing?

Tiber swim team '13

Post subject: Re: Sorrow and the Beatific Vision
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:14 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
I don't think Our Lady experiences what we call "anxiety" here on earth. We might say, analogically, that she is "anxious" over her children and desires that they go to heaven. Even Holy Scripture attributes things to God (e.g. wrath) that can only really be understood analogically.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:07 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
Peregrinator wrote:
I don't think Our Lady experiences what we call "anxiety" here on earth. We might say, analogically, that she is "anxious" over her children and desires that they go to heaven. Even Holy Scripture attributes things to God (e.g. wrath) that can only really be understood analogically.

Analogous for what? I suppose we mean that Mary is busy about our salvation all the time?

What as for tears?

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:58 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
I mean we speak of God and the Saints having attributes that are analogous to human ones because we don't have better words for it. So we speak of God's wrath only by analogy - God is unchangeable, immutable, so He isn't angry one moment and not angry the next. Likewise, while the Saints are subject to change (they are in aeviternity, not eternity), I can't imagine they experience negative human emotions like sadness or anxiety.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help