Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Non Denominational Bible Studies
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:34 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Christian
What do you think of people of different religions attending a non denominational Bible study?

Post subject: Re: Non Denominational Bible Studies
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:09 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
You spelled "Baptist" wrong :fyi:

http://babylonbee.com/news/non-denomina ... -baptists/

90% of the time--maybe more--it's a terrible idea for Catholics to attend one.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:16 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
The Southern Baptist church I went to (a loooong time ago) did everything it could do to separate itself from its Baptist roots. The church's name didn't have Baptist in it. The Sunday School material was not Baptist. No Baptist events were posted on the bulletin board. The word Baptist was not mentioned on Sunday morning. (Although, if you went to a business meeting the SBC affiliation was not hidden.)

Anyway, a friend who had been away from the Baptist fold for a very long time came to the service one Sunday morning. After about ten minutes he leaned toward me and whispered, "You tried to fool me. This is a Baptist church, isn't it."

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:41 am 

I went to a study at an Episcopal church that said everyone should check their doctrine at the door. It was intended as a study to apply teachings to our life (i.e., grow in holiness). After a couple of weeks, the leader mentioned that "obviously there's no such thing as purgatory". I said, "I thought we were suppose to check out doctrine at the door". At first she defended it as Biblical, but then she apologized, but it was the last time that I went.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:48 am 
Citizen
Citizen

No thanks. Why muddy the waters any further?

I have witnessed positive cooperation among Catholics and different Christian communities in areas of serving the poor/food banks - there is a positive way to come together.

---
Good can exist without evil; whereas evil cannot exist without good.
The Summa Theologica - St. Thomas Aquinas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:49 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Non-denominational is an oxymoron.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:04 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Attended one in Houston (used to have an office there, and traveled there often). The group was Catholic, but, there were couples who were mixed faith.

We used the Serendipity Study Bibles' Lectionary stream of discussion points. I very much enjoyed that group, but, I think it was a unicorn.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:35 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

What would be the best Bible to use in a non denominational Bible study?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:04 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Petronius wrote:
What would be the best Bible to use in a non denominational Bible study?

One with a cover made of unicorn skin, because you have better odds of finding a unicorn than finding a 'nondenominational' Bible study that is worth attending.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:06 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Petronius wrote:
What do you think of people of different religions attending a non denominational Bible study?

Lets back up a minute and ask: (1) What is your understanding of what a non denominational Bible study is, and (2) why would you want to attend it?

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:11 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

TreeBeard wrote:
Petronius wrote:

Lets back up a minute and ask: (1) What is your understanding of what a non denominational Bible study is, and (2) why would you want to attend it?

(1) A non denominational Bible study would include people of different denominations who want to learn about the Bible and Scripture verses.
(2) I would want to attend to learn about the Bible.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:58 pm 
King of Cool

Petronius wrote:
TreeBeard wrote:
Petronius wrote:

Lets back up a minute and ask: (1) What is your understanding of what a nondenominational Bible study is, and (2) why would you want to attend it?

(1) A nondenominational Bible study would include people of different denominations who want to learn about the Bible and Scripture verses.
(2) I would want to attend to learn about the Bible.

One of two things is likely to happen:

1. the discussion is so vague and content-free that it is useless
2. the leader of the group is going to try to force everyone else to accept his interpretation by insisting that what everyone else says is 'sectarian'

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:41 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I have thought of this: The Catholic Bible has more books than the King James Bible. How would one know which Bible to use?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:56 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
This isn't a Catholic problem, per se. Would an Assembly of God be comfortable at a non-denominational Bible study? A Seventh Day Adventist? A Presbyterian? A Methodist?

The problem, if there even is one, is how the study is taught and the perspective of the teacher/facilitator. If they have any theological hobby horse and are inclined to bounce from book and verse to book and verse, then absolutely anyone with a different theology is going to get uncomfortable or confused. But if they pick a book and just work through it in an expository manner, then no one at all should have a problem regardless of their faith background. And to make the claim stronger. I would contest the notion that the Bible-bouncer is doing a Bible study at all! (Just like I don't regard Bible bouncing in the pulpit as a sermon.)

So much for my two cents. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:58 am 
Adept
Adept

And in the general realm of offering opinion, Baptist and non-denominational are most definitely not the same thing. They tend to be more closely related than others, but there are major differences as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:28 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If I believed in the persepecuity of Scripture, I would agree with your two cents. Since I don't, I don't.

The Babylon Bee is not a Catholic site :) Of course not all non-denominational groups are Baptists.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:43 pm 
King of Cool

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Of course not all non-denominational groups are Baptists.

Baptist in affiliation? No. Baptist in theology? Most of them, yes. The nondenoms that don't teach Baptist theology are probably either charismatic or prosperity gospel types. Theologically, charismatics can be all over the map. Most of what goes by the name of 'evangelical theology' in the United States is basically a kind of watered-down Baptist theology

All the talk you hear from evangelicals about 'being born again' or 'inviting Jesus into your heart' originated in Baptist theology. If you read a tract on evangelical theology, they usually end by saying that the way to become a Christian is to say the sinner's prayer and 'accept Jesus into your heart' and 'become born again', this is little more than an altar call, which again, is straight out of Baptist theology. At no point do these little tracts ever suggest that either baptism or church membership is required to become a Christian, and often these tracts will actually insist that neither baptism nor church membership is really necessary to be a Christian. This again is Baptist theology.

With the exception of the hardcore Lutherans and Calvinists who insist on preserving the 'correct' Reformation era doctrine, the theology of most evangelicals is essentially Baptist.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:58 pm 
King of Cool

Petronius wrote:
I have thought of this: The Catholic Bible has more books than the King James Bible. How would one know which Bible to use?

Exactly. Now you're seeing why a truly 'non-denominational' Bible study is impossible. The best you could do is a purely academic study where the Bible is treated not as a sacred or holy book, but merely as literature, similar to a college course.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:37 pm 
Adept
Adept

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
If I believed in the persepecuity of Scripture, I would agree with your two cents. Since I don't, I don't.

And since my position makes no presumption of the perspicuity of Scripture, I must assume that you have failed to understand my position.

Quote:
The Babylon Bee is not a Catholic site :) Of course not all non-denominational groups are Baptists.

I don't know what "the Babylon Bee" is.

Beyond that, for those interested in real historical sources and not asinine, unsourced claims from the uninformed, "born again" theology does not come from Baptists, nor is "non-denominationalism" baptistically oriented. I recommend a book titled The Heart of the Gospel by Bernie Van de Walle, which traces the history of American evangelicalism and offers some major, much needed corrections to myths like the few repeated here. As it relates to this conversation, though, the modern usage actually goes back to John Wesley, which anyone who has read Walle would immediately expect.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:48 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The Babylon Bee is a satire site--a Christian Onion, sort of, though not nearly as edgy--and the source of the article I linked.

Need something to read?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next