Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Protestants on Faith Alone
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:30 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
gherkin wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
That alleged quotation is usually attributed to Pope St. Pius X, not V, but I have never been able to find anything remotely approaching a primary source that attributes it to him. https://fauxtations.wordpress.com/2015/ ... st-pius-v/

Not to worry--I do not in any sense agree with you. :fyi:

I would never dream of accusing you of such a thing.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:18 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
gherkin wrote:
https://fauxtations.wordpress.com/2015/05/05/lukewarm-catholics-and-pope-st-pius-v/

Even though it's pretty unlikely that St. Pius V said it, there's certainly something important lurking behind the thought: just imagine the power of a billion non-lukewarm Catholics--that is, of a billion saints. It would transform the world. It's a rhetorical excess at best to say it would put an end to all the evils of the world--since it almost certainly wouldn't put an end to cancer (for one example among many)--but still.

I suppose it's the spiritual equivalent of, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing," also, interestingly enough, somewhat disputed. Supposedly it is found in Burke's writings and come very close to the definitely recorded words of John Stuart Mills expressing a similar idea, "Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing."

As an aside, when I was thirteen or fourteen, I came across 2 Chron 7:14 and concluded after reading it, and wrote a brief essay for a class to this end, that all the world's problems were the direct result of Christians' failure to respond to the call of God to repentance and good works. Some truth, sure, but ah . . . I look back at that stage of my spiritual journey with some nostalgia for the naivete and lack of nuance. People would tell me that as I grew older I would start to see shades of gray. I remember explicitly thinking that was just something someone who didn't really understand truth would say. :shock: ::):

edit:

Unrelated, I still don't like this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:35 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SubpzqswJRE

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:58 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
I've never heard that before. I like it. Much better than this, which is where my mind usually goes when discussing such things. Now I have a new and better one. Much obliged!

I think I might actually do a cover of that, now that I think more about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2