Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 6   [ 119 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Trinity question
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:00 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
nm

Post subject: Re: Trinity question
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:29 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
az

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:44 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
nv

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:05 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

ca

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:59 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

:roll: :nooo: or

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:59 am 

It was a good question. But explaining the trinity is difficult if not impossible. It's a mystery.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:26 am 
Adept
Adept

That's why I deleted it. It dawned on me about an hour after typing it that I was asking for the impossible. I understand it (to the extent that I do) precisely because I've spent so much time studying the finer distinctions (to the extent that I have). To ask how to explain that without explaining those distinctions really is rather self-contradictory. It's enough, I think, to tell people that all of what God is He is absolutely and so all of the Persons are, and yet there are things we can speak of as properly relating to each of the three Persons. The Son was sent, the Father wasn't. The Father begat the Son, etc. Most won't even know enough to ask further questions, so why try to answer questions people aren't asking? And for those who do ask, well, there's no need to try to overly simplify it. Either they want to understand it and are willing to do the hard mental work or they aren't. *shrug*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:54 am 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

A good starting place for those who may not know the questions to ask ...
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s2c1p2.htm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:41 pm 
Adept
Adept

If they are Catholic, I imagine that would be a fine place to start. The language is, as you would expect, pretty clear. I assume, however, that you'd like non-Catholics to have that same view of God. The unfortunately reality is that the CCC isn't going to be incredibly helpful for them (or to my ordination committee, in this case). Whether or not it should be is unrelated. We have to meet people where they are.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:05 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

theJack wrote:
If they are Catholic, I imagine that would be a fine place to start. I do assume that you'd like non-Catholics to have a correct view of God, however. The unfortunately reality is that the CCC isn't going to be incredibly helpful for them (or to my ordination committee, in this case). Whether or not it should be is unrelated. We have to meet people where they are.

Yes, a correct view God is essential for all who profess to be Christian in belief.
Are there teachings there that are contrary to your understanding, or are they verboten only because they're found in the Catholic Catechism?

The 'In Brief' sections were very helpful to me in early searches I made - before I began my journey to conversion.
So I would say that is 'meeting people where they are'.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:12 pm 
Adept
Adept

Nothing in that section is contrary to my understanding, or for that matter, to the understanding of my evangelical peers. There is, however, quite a bit of misinformation as to what the Catholic Church believes, and the reality is that when you refer people to it, they don't expect to have their misunderstandings cleared up (and, in fact, they probably wouldn't even if they did read it); they feel like they're being asked to read heretical nonsense. It's better to meet people where they are, to actually explain to them the correct view of God. When they've come to accept it and see for themselves it's true, you can then say, "By the way, that's exactly what the Catholic Church has always said. Here's the CCC as a bit of evidence of that."

There are, of course, exceptions to that. I'm sure there are myriads of people who have read the CCC and found their way through that into the Church. But it's not the best of ideas, in my assessment, to offer general advice on exceptions to the rule. And the rule is definitely (I say definitely, anyway) that personal conversation is far more effective than the official documents of an entity of which you are already suspicious.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:16 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

theJack wrote:
Nothing in that section is contrary to my understanding, or for that matter, to the understanding of my evangelical peers. There is, however, quite a bit of misinformation as to what the Catholic Church believes, and the reality is that when you refer people to it, they don't expect to have their misunderstandings cleared up (and, in fact, they probably wouldn't even if they did read it); they feel like they're being asked to read heretical nonsense. It's better to meet people where they are, to actually explain to them the correct view of God. When they've come to accept it and see for themselves it's true, you can then say, "By the way, that's exactly what the Catholic Church has always said. Here's the CCC as a bit of evidence of that."

There are, of course, exceptions to that. I'm sure there are myriads of people who have read the CCC and found their way through that into the Church. But it's not the best of ideas, in my assessment, to offer general advice on exceptions to the rule. And the rule is definitely (I say definitely, anyway) that personal conversation is far more effective than the official documents of an entity of which you are already suspicious.

To the 'contrary' question - I didn't see anything there that would be - so that was mostly a curiosity question.

It's better to meet people where they are, to actually explain to them the correct view of God.

Yes, I posted it more as a resource from which you might format a teaching guide - because I found it clear and understandable -
(to the extent that the Holy Trinity can be understood by those with limited knowledge of the Holy Trinity, myself included).

Not that I expected you to hand them a section of the Catechism. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:34 pm 
Adept
Adept

Ah, well pardon me for the uncharitable interpretation! Actually using that as a format of sorts wouldn't be a bad idea. Gracias. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:29 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

Ah! yw! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:33 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
theJack wrote:
There are, of course, exceptions to that. I'm sure there are myriads of people who have read the CCC and found their way through that into the Church.
Yes, and in my experience those who have told me that this - or similar methods - was their way into the Roman Catholic Church have also told that they were curious and decided themselves to read it. It wasn't thrust upon them.

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten

http://twitter.com/katolikken

http://thecatholic.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:51 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

faithfulservant wrote:

wa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:01 pm 
Defender
Defender

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
ThomisticCajunAggie wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

wa

id

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:25 pm 

Speed Racer wrote:

wa

id

WA doesn't border CA, which was the last state mentioned. So if I pick OR, then I end the game. :D

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:57 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

anawim wrote:
Speed Racer wrote:

wa

id

WA doesn't border CA, which was the last state mentioned. So if I pick OR, then I end the game. :D

except i chose or when i chastised the young man from college station for picking the lala state of ca in the first place .... which is why he picked wa and zoom picked id... so i'm picking mt and the game can go on :fyi: :wave

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:18 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

faithfulservant wrote:
anawim wrote:
Speed Racer wrote:

wa

id

except i chose or when i chastised the young man from college station for picking the lala state of ca in the first place .... which is why he picked wa and zoom picked id... so i'm picking mt and the game can go on :fyi: :wave

I live in Bryan. :fyi:

wy

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 6   [ 119 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next