Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Oneness of God and the Trinity
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:07 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Man for Others
I am wondering about Aquinas' arguments for the oneness of God and how to keep them from bleeding into (and undermining) the three persons of God.

"Again, it has been shown that God is absolutely perfect, lacking no perfection. If, then, there are many gods, there must be many such perfect beings. But this is impossible. For, if none of these perfect beings lacks some perfection, and does not have any admixture of imperfection, which is demanded for an absolutely perfect being, nothing will be given in which to distinguish the perfect beings from one another. It is impossible, therefore, that there be many gods." Summa Contra Gentiles 1:42

All persons of the Godhead are absolutely perfect. And yet, we are able to distinguish them. Therefore, I suspect the answer lies with the difference between God as a being and God as persons. What is the difference between persons and beings in this context?

From the beginning, Christianity has understood itself as the religion of the Logos, as the religion according to reason...It has always defined men, all men without distinction, as creatures and images of God, proclaiming for them...the same dignity: to live a faith that comes from the Logos, from creative reason, and that, because of this, is also open to all that is truly rational.

Post subject: Re: The Oneness of God and the Trinity
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:10 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Beings are distinct in substance. The divine Persons are distinct only in relationship to each other.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:22 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Cool! So is it correct to say the divine Persons are identical in substance? If it's not their substance that defines their relationship to one another then what is it?

From the beginning, Christianity has understood itself as the religion of the Logos, as the religion according to reason...It has always defined men, all men without distinction, as creatures and images of God, proclaiming for them...the same dignity: to live a faith that comes from the Logos, from creative reason, and that, because of this, is also open to all that is truly rational.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:24 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

"Consubtantial with the Father" = the identical substance.

The Father was neither made nor created nor begotten from anyone.
The Son was neither made nor created;
he was begotten from the Father alone.
The Holy Spirit was neither made nor created nor begotten;
he proceeds from the Father and the Son.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:25 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Indeed. But does that mean the Holy Spirit is identical in substance to both? Do any of them have something that another does not?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:38 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
Quote:
does that mean the Holy Spirit is identical in substance to both?

Yes

Quote:
Do any of them have something that another does not?

No

The only thing whatsoever that distinguishes them is their relations. Nothing else.

Indeed, the Lord Jesus, when He prayed to the Father, "that all may be one. . . as we are one" (John 17:21-22) opened up vistas closed to human reason, for He implied a certain likeness between the union of the divine Persons, and the unity of God's sons in truth and charity. This likeness reveals that man, who is the only creature on earth which God willed for itself, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself. ~ Pope Paul VI, Gaudium et Spes 24.3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:50 pm 

God is Three in a circle. God is pi within a circle. He is triune.
(copyrighted)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:17 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

What does God have to do with pi? :scratch:

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:54 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
sunshine1 wrote:
(copyrighted)

Wikipedia is not copyrighted. Either start linking to original source material or stop saying things are copyrighted that aren’t.

BTW, most serious scholars refuse to acknowledge Wikipedia as a credible source. It’s great for a quick “gut check,” but if you want to be taken seriously, find another source.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:06 pm 
Adept
Adept

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
BTW, most serious scholars refuse to acknowledge Wikipedia as a credible source. It’s great for a quick “gut check,” but if you want to be taken seriously, find another source. [/color]

That's what Wikipedia says (source): "Wikipedia is not a reliable source for academic writing or research." But since I can't trust Wikipedia, then I can't trust it when it tells me that it isn't trustworthy. Therefore, Wikipedia must be trustworthy. Except that would mean that it can be trusted when it tells me it can't be trusted. That must be why it's not trustworthy, and I know it isn't trustworthy because there's a Wikipedia article that says so. But since I can't trust Wikipedia, then I can't trust it when it tells me that it isn't trustworthy. Therefore, Wikipedia must be trustworthy. Except that would mean that it can be trusted when it tells me it can't be trusted. That must be why it's not trustworthy, and I know it isn't trustworthy because there's a Wikipedia article that says so. But since I can't trust Wikipedia, then I can't trust it when it tells me that it isn't trustworthy. Therefore, Wikipedia must be trustworthy. Except that would mean that it can be trusted when it tells me it can't be trusted. That must be why it's not trustworthy, and I know it isn't trustworthy because there's a Wikipedia article that says so. But since I can't trust Wikipedia, then I can't trust it when it tells me that it isn't trustworthy. Therefore, Wikipedia must be trustworthy. Except that would mean that it can be trusted when it tells me it can't be trusted. That must be why it's not trustworthy, and I know it isn't trustworthy because there's a Wikipedia article that says so. But since I can't trust Wikipedia, then I can't trust it when it tells me that it isn't trustworthy. Therefore, Wikipedia must be trustworthy. Except that would mean that it can be trusted when it tells me it can't be trusted. That must be why it's not trustworthy, and I know it isn't trustworthy because there's a Wikipedia article that says so. But since I can't trust Wikipedia, then I can't trust it when it tells me that it isn't trustworthy. Therefore, Wikipedia must be trustworthy. Except that would mean that it can be trusted when it tells me it can't be trusted. That must be why it's not trustworthy, and I know it isn't trustworthy because there's a Wikipedia article that says so. But since I can't trust Wikipedia, then I can't trust it when it tells me that it isn't trustworthy. Therefore, Wikipedia must be trustworthy. Except that would mean that it can be trusted when it tells me it can't be trusted. That must be why it's not trustworthy, and I know it isn't trustworthy because there's a Wikipedia article that says so. . . .

Indeed, the Lord Jesus, when He prayed to the Father, "that all may be one. . . as we are one" (John 17:21-22) opened up vistas closed to human reason, for He implied a certain likeness between the union of the divine Persons, and the unity of God's sons in truth and charity. This likeness reveals that man, who is the only creature on earth which God willed for itself, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself. ~ Pope Paul VI, Gaudium et Spes 24.3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:59 pm 

:clap: :clap: :clap: :salut:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:02 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
sunshine1 wrote:
(copyrighted)

[color=#004000]Wikipedia is not copyrighted.

Yes, it is. Everything that is published, and yes, posting on a website IS a form of publication, is automatically copyrighted the moment it is written, one does not have to file for a copyright, copyrights are automatic.

Indeed, one doesn't even have to publish because works 'in progress' that have never been published, such as the half dozen or so different unfinished books that I have written, are automatically copyrighted the moment that they are created.

So if someone breaks into my OneDrive account and takes my barely begun 'History of the Reformation from 1200-1800' that I have been working one for the last 5 years but only have an outline and a couple chapters written, and publishes it without my authorization, it is a violation of my copyright.

Technically, this very post is copyrighted, which means that no one can reproduce on another website without my permission, except under the narrow 'Fair Use' exemption, such as if someone quoted it for the sake of critiquing my argument and responding to it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:02 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:54 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights

Ah, thank you, the articles are copyrighted, but the copyright is owned by the authors, not the website. What an odd system.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:35 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Doom wrote:
Technically, this very post is copyrighted, which means that no one can reproduce on another website without my permission, except under the narrow 'Fair Use' exemption, such as if someone quoted it for the sake of critiquing my argument and responding to it.

Technically, your posts belong to this board.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:15 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

theJack wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
BTW, most serious scholars refuse to acknowledge Wikipedia as a credible source. It’s great for a quick “gut check,” but if you want to be taken seriously, find another source. [/color]

That's what Wikipedia says (source): "Wikipedia is not a reliable source for academic writing or research." But since I can't trust Wikipedia, then I can't trust it when it tells me that it isn't trustworthy. Therefore, Wikipedia must be trustworthy. Except that would mean that it can be trusted when it tells me it can't be trusted. That must be why it's not trustworthy, and I know it isn't trustworthy because there's a Wikipedia article that says so. But since I can't trust Wikipedia, then I can't trust it when it tells me that it isn't trustworthy. Therefore, Wikipedia must be trustworthy. Except that would mean that it can be trusted when it tells me it can't be trusted. That must be why it's not trustworthy, and I know it isn't trustworthy because there's a Wikipedia article that says so. But since I can't trust Wikipedia, then I can't trust it when it tells me that it isn't trustworthy. Therefore, Wikipedia must be trustworthy. Except that would mean that it can be trusted when it tells me it can't be trusted. That must be why it's not trustworthy, and I know it isn't trustworthy because there's a Wikipedia article that says so. But since I can't trust Wikipedia, then I can't trust it when it tells me that it isn't trustworthy. Therefore, Wikipedia must be trustworthy. Except that would mean that it can be trusted when it tells me it can't be trusted. That must be why it's not trustworthy, and I know it isn't trustworthy because there's a Wikipedia article that says so. But since I can't trust Wikipedia, then I can't trust it when it tells me that it isn't trustworthy. Therefore, Wikipedia must be trustworthy. Except that would mean that it can be trusted when it tells me it can't be trusted. That must be why it's not trustworthy, and I know it isn't trustworthy because there's a Wikipedia article that says so. But since I can't trust Wikipedia, then I can't trust it when it tells me that it isn't trustworthy. Therefore, Wikipedia must be trustworthy. Except that would mean that it can be trusted when it tells me it can't be trusted. That must be why it's not trustworthy, and I know it isn't trustworthy because there's a Wikipedia article that says so. But since I can't trust Wikipedia, then I can't trust it when it tells me that it isn't trustworthy. Therefore, Wikipedia must be trustworthy. Except that would mean that it can be trusted when it tells me it can't be trusted. That must be why it's not trustworthy, and I know it isn't trustworthy because there's a Wikipedia article that says so. . . .

So clearly I cannot choose the wine...

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:23 pm 

:laughhard

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:49 am 
Adept
Adept

GKC wrote:

Now that's funny.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:45 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

theJack wrote:
GKC wrote:

Now that's funny.

Statements of veracity about statements of veracity seem to be tricky.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:10 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

GKC wrote:
theJack wrote:
GKC wrote:

Now that's funny.

Statements of veracity about statements of veracity seem to be tricky.

You don't say.

Need something to read?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next