Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Catholic Faith on Asexuality....I want opinions please
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:44 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Okay so my fiancé and I were talking about what is called Asexuality, from what I understand it someone who is not sexually attracted to either gender OR is someone who have very little to no interest in sex. He doesn't believe that this is a real thing. He believes obviously in different sexualities but he doesn't see how someone can just not be attracted to SOMETHING. I get where he is coming from because as a person who is attracted to someone/something it's tough to grasp but I also believe that some people just aren't attracted to anyone. It is my personal opinion that being homosexual or bisexual is a cross to carry given by God, so since I believe that, I also believe that God could give someone the cross of not being attracted to either gender. I've tried googling what the Catholic church says about it or even if they say anything at all and I've come up short, so I'm looking for answers or opinions. :) God bless

Post subject: Re: The Catholic Faith on Asexuality....I want opinions plea
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:55 pm 

Hi, I don't know anything about official Catholic teachings on Asexuality, but I'm not even sure if there are any.
My opinion is that God gave everyone his own sexuality. Most people are heterosexual which is good, others have different sexualities which CAN be a problem. However, I don't think Asexuality could be a problem. I mean, you're not doing anything wrong when you don't have sex, right? Plus there is such a thing as consecrated virginity so maybe that could be a path for someone who is asexual.

I don't see why Asexuality shouldn't exist, though...

Get encouraged at our blog!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:47 pm 

Right! I was googling to see what I could find and wasn't finding anything and he was saying "see because it's not real" but I don't think that is the case, I mean why would the church comment on something that doesn't conflict with their beliefs or teachings. They have to be upfront about homosexuality and things of that nature because it goes against what the church teaches but someone who is Asexual who isn't doing anything doesn't seem to be a problem, in my opinion. They can still belong to two of the three vocations.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:37 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Hello!

The Church teaches that there are two vocations, those called to the Priesthood/Religious Life and those called to marriage. This is a good article about vocations https://www.osv.com/TabId/735/ArtMID/13 ... leID/4580/

That being said, the desire for sex is something that is part of the human being, just as the having two legs or one nose. Sometimes there are people born with deformities of the body, people who develop diseases, people with mental and emotional illness and wounds, there is no reason to assume a person could not born without a sex drive. They could also have had an experience that wounded or distorted their desires, or simply having been exposed to our over sexed culture they could simply not want anything to do with it.

The Church does not have teachings on various diseases or deformities, illnesses, wounds, other than we should unite our sufferings with Christ. There is a bounty of teaching on the redemptive value of suffering.

I would advise your friend to seek spiritual direction from a holy priest to help discern their true vocation and to help work through any issues that may interfere with living out that vocation to the glory of God.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:42 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
I still haven't thought of anything to say about this. Some people may simply have no sex drive. I would think it is more common to have a low sex drive than none at all. Whether or not this actually happens I don't think matters all that much. Nor do I think the Church has ever really addressed this.

The interpretation of St. Paul's exhortations to remain single by many fathers and theologians is that if one is so able it is better to devote oneself entirely to God.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:34 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I know one person like this. I don't think that it is healthy in him [and I'm inclined to think that it would not be healthy in anyone] - although to have a disordered desire to avoid sexual relations seems in some ways less problematic than a disordered desire for sexual relations.

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:09 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
I doubt that asexuality would be a bar to marriage, as long as the person intends to consummate the marriage, to render the marriage debt when requested by the other spouse, and to raise the children that God sends (etc). You don't need to be sexually attracted to your spouse to be married, nor do you need to be in the grips of sexual desire to seek the good of marriage.

The flip side is that I'm not 100% sure that asexuality would not be a bar to the priesthood or religious life.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:58 am 
The Exterminator

gherkin wrote:
I doubt that asexuality would be a bar to marriage, as long as the person intends to consummate the marriage, to render the marriage debt when requested by the other spouse, and to raise the children that God sends (etc). You don't need to be sexually attracted to your spouse to be married, nor do you need to be in the grips of sexual desire to seek the good of marriage.

The flip side is that I'm not 100% sure that asexuality would not be a bar to the priesthood or religious life.

Current norms are unknown to me, but this may be of more than just historical interest. It struck me that the best analogue to this idea of asexuality, if it indeed be accepted, would be that of the eunuch. Of course there are various references to eunuchs in the Bible and in Church teachings and writings, although one must be careful that the term is often used metaphorically and not literally. One may be referred to as a eunuch simply because he carries out work generally reserved to eunuchs, or because he has remained single, or is continent, etc., it does not always mean that he has been castrated. I know you know this, but for everyone else I point this out. This reminded me of how eunuchs were specifically addressed at Nicea in regards to admission to the clerical state.

First Council of Nicea

Canon 1

If any one in sickness has been subjected by physicians to a surgical operation, or if he has been castrated by barbarians, let him remain among the clergy; but, if any one in sound health has castrated himself, it behooves that such an one, if [already] enrolled among the clergy, should cease [from his ministry], and that from henceforth no such person should be promoted. But, as it is evident that this is said of those who wilfully do the thing and presume to castrate themselves, so if any have been made eunuchs by barbarians, or by their masters, and should otherwise be found worthy, such men the Canon admits to the clergy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:23 am 
The Exterminator

The Bible does say there are eunuchs who are that way from nature, from their mother's womb. Or something to that effect. I rather doubt it means one who is anatomically correct yet has no sex drive, though it may. It could include one who just has an easy time of remaining continent.