Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Miracles
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:34 am 

Religion: Catholic
When was the last time you experienced a miracle?

Post subject: Re: Miracles
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:59 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

The last time I received Our Lord in Holy Communion.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:03 pm 

Signum Crucis wrote:
The last time I received Our Lord in Holy Communion.

Great answers.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:27 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
There's an ongoing one in my house right now. My dad is terminally ill with pancreatic cancer--inoperable and untreatable at this stage and at his age (he's 87). For those not familiar with this particular form of cancer, it is considered to be the most painful--a constant burning sensation that only intensifies as the disease progresses. And yet, he is in no pain at all. The nurses and doctors are all astounded at it, as was I...at first.

Then I remembered a conversation my dad had with me a few months ago--before any of this happened. He was talking to me about his mother, who died of ovarian/uterine cancer when I was 5. It was a story he'd never told me before nor mentioned since. During the course of my grandmother's final illness, she was active and alert until the very end, and never complained of pain. It wasn't until after she died that they discovered that the cancer had spread to her brain, affecting the area where the pain receptors are. She literally was incapable of feeling pain, but never knew it.

That to me is a blessing from God...a miracle. I haven't broached the subject with my dad, but have talked to a couple of doctors, some nurses, and two priests about it. I don't know if my dad has had the same thing happen as what happened to my grandmother. The odds of this happening again are (to me) incalcuable. You call it what you will, but I call it grace from God, and miraculous.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

Last edited by Mrs. Timmy on Mon May 06, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:30 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
How do you define 'miracle'? I have had weird, seemingly inexplicable things happen to me, but I don't know that I would call them 'miracles'.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:35 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian
Ivebeenthere wrote:

Last night.

But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:40 pm 

@Handmaids of the Lord

Thank you for sharing that wonderful story.

Amen

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:45 pm 

@King of Cool.

I would define a miracle as something that occurs in your life because of Devine Intervention.

I am a person who doesn’t believe in coincidences. I’ve had things take place in my life at certain times when I’ve known that only God could have made these things happen.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:47 pm 

EtcumSpiri22-0 wrote:
Ivebeenthere wrote:

Last night.

All praise to God. Glad to hear it.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:43 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Handmaid of the Lord and King of Cool are rank titles, not usernames. A poster's username will be located in the same place as where yours is located --- above the rank title.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:45 pm 

Signum Crucis wrote:
Handmaid of the Lord and King of Cool are rank titles, not usernames. A poster's username will be located in the same place as where yours is located --- above the rank title.

Thank you for letting me know.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:13 pm 

Aside from when I received the Blessed Sacrament, there have been many in my life. Miraculous spiritual rebirths, mystical connections and substitutions, and one healing from blindness.

My second daughter was a preemie. She was due in October and born in August, and she was tiny, fragile, and underdeveloped. She had to stay in the NICU, and she was in an incubator for a long time. As I would go to visit her (I was myself hospitalized for nearly two weeks after the birth; she was not the only one who almost didn't make it), I would express milk, reach into the box and touch, and occasionally be allowed to hold her. I watched her grow stronger, and I was glad. But she was not my first child. I knew something of the way newborns behaved and responded, and I knew there was something wrong with her eyes. So I asked the NICU nurses, who by this time knew me rather well. I said, "She can't see, can she?" And they would not look at me. This being Japan, where they don't even tell you when you are terminally ill, they could not bring themselves even to answer such a direct question. They looked away self-consciously and said, "Let's just wait until her sight test results come in." Sight test? They hadn't even told me she was getting one, and it wasn't standard for a newborn to receive one. I knew then that I was right. She was blind. I was so sad for her, and I prayed so very hard for her.

And when the test results came in, the nurse came running to me. "She can see!" the nurse said. "She can see!" Her amazement and joy were beautiful to see, and I was overwhelmed with gratitude.

My little preemie daughter is now twelve, and no one would ever know she was premature. She is tall, strong, big for her age, and the healthiest of my half-dozen.

Thanks be to God!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:47 am 

@Sillara. Thank you for sharing this story.

Thanks be to God for you and your daughter.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:19 am 
Adept
Adept

Ivebeenthere wrote:

As a Christian, I have experienced/seen personally many diverse, amazing, wonderful miracles, very recently and for many years, as a direct result of prayer to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I hesitate to talk about any of them in this forum because of previous experience here. It has been strongly and repeatedly implied, in this forum, that Christ was most probably not the source and that Satan counterfeits miracles ... because I am not a Catholic. I love Jesus with all my heart and I have witnessed his compassion poured out in amazing miracles many times … just for asking. but ... The divisiveness I have experienced here deeply troubles me.

But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20

Last edited by EtcumSpiri22-0 on Thu May 09, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:27 am 

EtcumSpiri22-0 wrote:
Ivebeenthere wrote:

As a Christian, I have experienced/seen personally many diverse, amazing, wonderful miracles, very recently and for many years, as a direct result of prayer to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I hesitate to talk about any of them in this forum because of previous experience here. It has been strongly and repeatedly implied, in this forum, that Christ was most probably not the source and that Satan counterfeits miracles ... because I am not a Catholic.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been silenced.

I truly believe in miracles and the Devine Grace of God our Father especially when our specific prayers have been answered.
One might say that my entire life after age 16 has been one big miracle sometimes obvious and sometimes only I would recognize.

Please continue to have faith that God is and willing to work and guide you in your life.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:41 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Not sure of the history of what you are talking about, Etcum, but miracles are frequently demonstrated to those outside of the Church. Indeed, that is often their purpose, i.e., to lead souls to Christ's Mystical Body, which is the Church. Perhaps the objection was to the specific miracle you believed that you witnessed.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:25 pm 
Adept
Adept

Desertfalcon wrote:
Not sure of the history of what you are talking about, Etcum, but miracles are frequently demonstrated to those outside of the Church. Indeed, that is often their purpose, i.e., to lead souls to Christ's Mystical Body, which is the Church. Perhaps the objection was to the specific miracle you believed that you witnessed.

I understand the Catholic perspective.
It wasnt a specific miracle/ event...Although I may have mentioned one or two that stood out in my memory as examples of my experience ... There have been so many I lost count a long time ago. I and my Christian friends pray all the time … everywhere/ any time we see the opportunity to share the compassion that Jesus commanded… hospitals, malls, restaurants, bus stops, business appointments. We simply quietly ask if its ok and then ask the Holy Spirit what he chooses to do in this particular instance for this particular individual. They are always amazed… and so am I. "They will know we are Christians by our love." Time after time after time. In each case it is made clear, just as Paul the apostle did, that Jesus is the Lord and Jesus is the healer. I have a Christian friend that lives and works in a mid eastern country where people are watched closely and can be beaten or killed for wearing a cross. He regularly, almost daily, ministers the Gospel through the same process that I described above… and those that believe and become Christians … go and do the same. This same thing is happening all over the Muslim world. I have read that Many Muslims are being evangelized through the demonstration of God's amazing power and amazing love through Jesus Christ and turning to Christ … under the radar. I have dear Christian friends in Indonesia, and have been there several times and seen first hand, doing the same thing with amazing stories to tell about the power of Jesus to capture the hearts of Muslims in a Muslim nation. I have a friend in Cambodia (where millions were murdered including most of his closest christian friends)) that survived long torture and imprisonment by Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge ... by listening to the direct command of the Holy Spirit. Today he and his wife have a powerful ministry of healing through Christ/ proclaiming Christ ... and service and food, clothing and housing (even including some of those that killed and tortured thousands) ... that is respected by the Cambodian Govt.

This Videographer documents some of what God is doing. He has made 3 documentaries and is working on a 4th. This clip from "Father of Lights' is a powerful example of what I and many others are experiencing in real time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 0MgsOdKdaY
A couple of years ago this guy was a General in the "Latin Kings" one of the meanest gangs in the US. He was about to start a turf war with a rival gang. His daughter was a heroine addict in prison. A meeting and a short conversation changed everything.
This is a slice of the movie. "Father of Lights". The guy that made the movie … was a sceptic. He went around the world to find out… what was the trick behind so called miracles. This is the third in a series… Go see... it will blow you completely away. There is also an interview with film maker Darren Wilson. He talks about his growing trust/ friendship/ partnership with God here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3md8Pwoa1z0

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:56 pm 

I'm sure more miracles happen to me or around me every day than I'm aware of, but the last explicit miracle happened within me last August. I finally accepted Jesus' marriage proposal.

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult and left untried." -- G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:15 pm 

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Soren wrote:
I'm sure more miracles happen to me or around me every day than I'm aware of, but the last explicit miracle happened within me last August. I finally accepted Jesus' marriage proposal.

I'm guessing you're preparing for the permanent diaconate?

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:18 pm 

No, just in a more general sense of how Jesus asks every soul to marry Him.

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult and left untried." -- G.K. Chesterton