Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 4   [ 65 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Father Chad Ripperger
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:15 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Exodus 20:5,6

"....you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:23 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
This may apply:

Before I moved south, thirty years ago, I knew of a woman who was beaten by her husband more than once. After one of those beatings she needed to be brought to the hospital.

After some time, their teen-age son started to hit his mother also.

I remember the mother being a prayerful woman, and active member of the Legion of Mary.

The last I heard they were all going to Catholic counseling. I hope that resolved the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:45 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian
EtcumSpiri22-0 wrote:
Leviticus 26:

40 But if they will confess their iniquity and that of their fathers in the unfaithfulness that they practiced against Me, by which they have also walked in hostility toward Me— 41 and I acted with hostility toward them and brought them into the land of their enemies— and if their uncircumcised hearts will be humbled and they will make amends for their iniquity, 42 then I will remember My covenant with Jacob and My covenant with Isaac and My covenant with Abraham, and I will remember the land.…

In 'The Book of Daniel', Daniel sought God on behalf of Israel. God sent the answer but it was blocked. Daniel had nothing to do with the blockage. Adam committed treason. Daniel had no control over that. Satan was granted legal control of Adam's realm and by extension, Daniel's. Satan put his prince over Persia. Daniel had to deal the situation, as inherited. Though he had not sinned, Adam's sin directly affected Daniel (and all of Israel). Through legal access, satan used his power against Daniel and again, by extension, all of Israel. Daniel's due diligence directly impacted the affect of Adams treason. Daniel's spiritual warfare affected the outcome though he had no direct connection with the origin of the resistance other than bloodline.... Daniel, according to God's chain of command, had to resist the affect of Adam's rebellion (even though he did not cause the rebellion) in order to see God's will accomplished.

But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:36 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
theJack wrote:
gherkin wrote:
It's not very charitable, and anyway it really only applies to one of them. :fyi:

I agree with the pickle. TWICE!!! IN THE SAME POST!!!!

:swoon

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:41 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
gherkin wrote:
It's not very charitable, and anyway it really only applies to one of them. :fyi:

Morons? It isn't true of any of them. :scratch:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:51 pm 

In the "one of these things is not like the others" game, one of the three definitely stands out, mentally speaking. Not in a good way.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
I think there can be a tendency toward naturalistic explanations of supernatural or preternatural phenomena.

The reduction of influence to bad example, rearing really struck me here.

Now, in fact, it has been the teaching of the School men, at least, that a certain disposition can be engendered toward evil and toward the demonic by things like witchcraft and the evil eye and the like. Again, the power of signs, and certain rites to both morally dispose us to demonic influence, but also to entice demons.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:42 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
gherkin wrote:
In the "one of these things is not like the others" game, one of the three definitely stands out, mentally speaking. Not in a good way.

I assume you're referring to Luther, he was stubborn as hell, unwilling to confess to even a minor error, and tended to respond to controversy by doubling and tripling down on the very thing that his detractors were complaining about often bringing them to such an extreme that his supporters, both in his own time and since, have tended to respond by distancing themselves from him on that point, but he definitely wasn't a 'moron.'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:58 am 

To quote Father, "it was not meant seriously." However, there is (IMHO) enough of a cognitive gap in that group that it actually was kind of appropriate, in a not very charitable way. :fyi:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:59 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
I think there can be a tendency toward naturalistic explanations of supernatural or preternatural phenomena.

Now, in fact, it has been the teaching of the School men, at least, that a certain disposition can be engendered toward evil and toward the demonic by things like witchcraft and the evil eye and the like. Again, the power of signs, and certain rites to both morally dispose us to demonic influence, but also to entice demons.

I agree with PED.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:

I agree with PED.

Hey, stop diluting the spirit of the Three Musketeers!

:soap: :verymad:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:31 am 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:

I agree with PED.

Are we saying the evil eye puts the looked upon at higher risk of demonic influence, or are we saying that the evil eye puts the looker at risk of demonic influence?

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:58 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The acts of others can expose a person to demonic influence.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:36 am 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The acts of others can expose a person to demonic influence.

How so?

Demons are real, yes. But how can we make them hate someone more?

While it's true St. Thomas believed that witches could hex people, there were various times in the Middle Ages when the prosecution of someone for witchcraft was illegal, correct?

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:48 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

We can't make them hate someone more. We can make someone more vulnerable to them.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:00 pm 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
We can't make them hate someone more. We can make someone more vulnerable to them.

So if a witch preforms some kind of hex, granted I neither knew nor took part in it,

That can't weaken the graces of my soul, consequently, how could such remote actions make one more vulnerable?

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:50 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

That, I don't know. I was thinking more back along the lines of the "generational curse" type thing, where various family dysfuctions (esp. abuse, in whatever form) have a good chance of leaving a person vulnerable to outside influences. If memory serves (and it doesn't always), exorcists point to childhood abuse as something frequently encountered in their clients.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:27 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

"The Evil Eye?" :scratch:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:32 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Sabbath wrote:

It must be said that Avicenna assigns the cause of bewitchment to this, the bodily matter is apt to obey spiritual substance more than contrary agents in nature. And therefore, when the soul is strong in its own imagination, corporal matter is changed according to it. And he says this is the cause of the evil eye.

But it was shown above that bodily matter does not obey spiritual substance at will, except the Creator alone. And therefore it is better said that from a soul's strong imagination the spirits joined to the body are changed. Which change of spirits most greatly happens in the eyes, to which the more subtle spirits come. Now the eyes infect the air continuous through a determinate space, through which manner, mirrors, if they were new and pure, contract a certain impurity from the glance of a menstruating woman, as Aristotle says in the book "On Dreams".

Thus, therefore, when some soul is vehemently moved to malice, as most greatly happens in witches, then, according to the aforesaid manner, her countenance is made venomous and hurtful, and most greatly to boys, who have a tender body, and are easily impressionable. It is even possible from God's permission, or also from some hidden deed, that the wickedness of demons cooperates in this, with whom witches have a compact. (S. Th I q117 a.3 ad 2)

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:30 pm 
Master
Master

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Sabbath wrote:

It must be said that Avicenna assigns the cause of bewitchment to this, the bodily matter is apt to obey spiritual substance more than contrary agents in nature. And therefore, when the soul is strong in its own imagination, corporal matter is changed according to it. And he says this is the cause of the evil eye.

But it was shown above that bodily matter does not obey spiritual substance at will, except the Creator alone. And therefore it is better said that from a soul's strong imagination the spirits joined to the body are changed. Which change of spirits most greatly happens in the eyes, to which the more subtle spirits come. Now the eyes infect the air continuous through a determinate space, through which manner, mirrors, if they were new and pure, contract a certain impurity from the glance of a menstruating woman, as Aristotle says in the book "On Dreams".

Thus, therefore, when some soul is vehemently moved to malice, as most greatly happens in witches, then, according to the aforesaid manner, her countenance is made venomous and hurtful, and most greatly to boys, who have a tender body, and are easily impressionable. It is even possible from God's permission, or also from some hidden deed, that the wickedness of demons cooperates in this, with whom witches have a compact. (S. Th I q117 a.3 ad 2)

What does "the eyes infect the air continuously" mean?

How are mirrors made impure by menstruating women?

Tiber swim team '13

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 4   [ 65 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next