Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Possession by Damned Human Souls
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:59 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic
ForeverFaithful wrote:
So I have been reading a little about the case of Anneliese Michel

One of the stranger claims made is that the exorcists believed she was possessed by Cain, Judas Iscariot, Nero, and Hitler.

Leaving aside whether Michel's case was possession or mental illness, has the Church or any saint given credence to the belief that damned human souls can possess a living human?

Two difficulties come to mind:

1) human souls are incomplete humans that relate to a particular body since members of the species man are separate from each other on account of signate matter as St. Thomas notes in De Ente. How then could the soul of Judas which is tied to the particular body of Judas yet to be resurrected, gain control over the body of another human?

2) Demons presumably attempt to ruin souls through possession in order to damn them. The damned souls of humans do not seem to want other humans damned. That he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torments. Luke 16:28. We need not attribute this to charity, it may simply be a desire to avoid the accidental pains of other souls in hell, but regardless the rich man does not seek the ruination of souls as the demons do.

Noteworthy is that in the film The Exorcism of Emily Rose the demons refer to themselves as the one who entered into Judas, the one who possessed Nero, etc. Which makes me wonder if the sources reporting that Michel's exorcists claimed she was possessed by Hitler or Nero might be mistranslations.

I was under the impression she was possessed with the same demons that possessed Judas, Nero, etc. Not that she was possessed with Judas, Nero, etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2