Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: St. Thomas teaches Immaculate Conception Later in Life?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:20 pm 
Paladin
Paladin

Religion: Catholic
So, I ran across a blog post from Dr. Romero Carrasquillo. In this post, he quotes Lagrange stating that St. Thomas adhered to the Immaculate Conception near the end of his life:

Quote:
In the last period of his life, however, from 1272 until 1273, St. Thomas wrote a work that is certainly authentic.[2477] In a recent critical edition of this small work made by J.F. Rossi, CM, we read: "For she [the Blessed Virgin] was most pure because she incurred the stain neither of original sin nor of mortal sin nor of venial sin."[2478] If it be so, then St. Thomas at the end of his life, after mature reflection, and in accordance with his devotion toward the Blessed Virgin, again affirmed what he had said in the first period of his life.[2479]

We must note other passages indicative of this happy return to his first opinion.[2480]

Footnotes:
Quote:
2477. This work is entitled "Expositio super salutatione angelica."

2478. cf. Divus Thomas, pp. 445-79, and Monografie del Collegio Alberoni. Sixteen out of the nineteen codices have the words "nec originale"; hence Father Rossi concludes that the text is authentic.

2479. cf. Com. in I Sent., d. 44, q. 1, a. 3, ad 3.

2480. cf. Compendium theologiae, chap. 224, wherein we read: "Not only was the Blessed Virgin Mary immune from actual sin, but also from original sin, being purified in a special manner." But it would not have been a special privilege if she had been purified as Jeremias and St. John the Baptist had been in the womb, some time after her animation. Likewise in the explanation of the Lord's Prayer, the fifth petition, St. Thomas says: "Full of grace, in whom there was no sin." Also in the Com. in Ps. 14:2, we read: "There was absolutely no stain of sin both in Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary." Also Com. in Ps. 18:6, he writes: "There was no obscurity of sin in the Blessed Virgin."

Is this true or wishful thinking?

Dr. Romero admit this much in the combox:

Quote:
It did not bring his teaching into line with Scotus. He came to affirm the immaculate conception, but he always kept his (not Scotus') reasoning. I don't know what that work is because the text that I posted comes from a website (http://www.thesumma.info/) that does not show the text of the footnotes. I will have to look at a hard copy of the text to post those footnotes.

EDIT: Forgot the link - http://iteadthomam.blogspot.com/2010/01 ... ption.html

Post subject: Re: St. Thomas teaches Immaculate Conception Later in Life?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:48 pm 

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange is a reliable interpreter. If he's making a mistake, it's not due to wishful thinking. I take him at his word on this, though I haven't done the research to verify it for myself.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:37 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

G-L quotes St. Thomas's commentary on the Angelic Salutation in his favor. There must be a difference in texts, though, because the text at dhspriory.org/thomas doesn't have precisely the same quotation [it only states that she incurred neither mortal nor venial sin]. So I wonder [without seeing any Latin texts] whether there is a difference in the Latin texts. It is worth noting that St. Thomas does state in the commentary on the Hail Mary that Our Lady was "conceived in original sin", but Garrigou says that this in all likelihood is referring to her active conception which was temporally prior to her ensoulment in the mind of St. Thomas.

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:56 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
See footnote 2478 in the original post.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:11 pm 
Paladin
Paladin

So most codices have the phrase and some don't. I suppose there is no way to know 100% for sure?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:32 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Not unless you have a time machine handy.

Need something to read?