Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Article: The Church in de facto Schism
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:31 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I know there are two schools of thought about Lifesite (the source), but that's not what I want to discuss here. This is: https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/the-catholic-church-in-de-facto-schism-whats-to-be-done

It's long, but the Reader's Digest version (as best as I can wrap my brain around it) is that Amoris Laetitia has not so much caused a rift in the church as exposed a rift that has been forming since Vatican II. It also recommends that Pope Francis address this issue by first, having Cardinal Müller address the dubia and second, calling for a closed-door meeting of indefinite length with the Church's bishops in a location away from prying eyes and prodding sycophants (the author recommends Castel Gandolfo or Assisi) for the purpose of showing the bishops the damage being done by factionalization.

But mine is only a little brain in such matters. I want to know what more learned minds think.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

Post subject: Re: Article: The Church in de facto Schism
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:57 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Pray, hope, and don't worry. There's nothing else you can do anyhow.

And don't read articles at lifesite.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:53 pm 
Highness
Highness

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
"I am with you till the end of days"

"We are the Easter people and Alleluia is our song"

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:56 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I have my own concerns about what's been coming from the Vatican, but LifesiteNews and Regina have become nothing but troll havens for Cathars, Donatists, and Sedevacantists.

You will not find intellectual sobriety in either of them.

"Idolatry is committed, not merely by setting up false gods, but also by setting up false devils; by making men afraid of war or alcohol, or economic law, when they should be afraid of spiritual corruption and cowardice.” G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:15 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Jon Snow wrote:
I have my own concerns about what's been coming from the Vatican, but LifesiteNews and Regina have become nothing but troll havens for Cathars, Donatists, and Sedevacantists.

Those are very serious charges. You have any examples of these beliefs?

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:18 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
... It's long, but the Reader's Digest version (as best as I can wrap my brain around it) is that Amoris Laetitia has not so much caused a rift in the church as exposed a rift that has been forming since Vatican II...

The Church, as a collection of people, has, I think, always been in a state of flux. Parts of it are always moving in concert with Our Lord's will and parts of it are straying away from the pillar and bulwark of the truth. (Note: the Catholic-Orthodox schism of 1054 really started in the early 300’s when the capitol moved from Rome to Constantinople. The eventual schism took place in small ways over centuries. And I think there were enough missteps on both sides to disabuse either from a 100% claim of "I'm right.")

All I can do is know, love and serve God to the best of my ability. For my money, part of serving God is praying for the Pope, other Bishops, Priests, and all Religious. If I think something is wrong I should pray all the more. If the situation is close enough to home I might contact someone locally and express my opinion privately to the responsible party.

Also, as a general rule, I always give the Pope the benefit of the doubt.

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:36 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Actually, some of the last section of the article was pretty good. (I only read the first few paragraphs at the link before I responded above.)...

Duties of the Lay Faithful. What should lay Catholics do?

They should form their consciences in accord with the definitive moral truths taught by the Catholic Church... Catholics should not allow distress over the present situation to shake their faith in Jesus’s promise to preserve the Church...

... They should realize that the Church has suffered from without and within many times over the centuries, and compared to other periods in history—the fourth century Arian heresy, the fourteenth century Great Schism, the French Reign of Terror, the German Kulturkampf—her problems today are mild...

... Additionally, every baptized Catholic should resolve to live as a saint... Every Catholic needs to be convinced that social and ecclesial renewal begins with him or with her... Finally, they should pray for the unity of the episcopate.

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:12 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Peregrinator wrote:
Jon Snow wrote:

Those are very serious charges. You have any examples of these beliefs?

I was referring more specifically to the comments section of their posts.

But it is also somewhat disturbing and disappointing that neither Regina nor LifesiteNews does anything to monitor posts and posters that are obviously anti-Pope Francis, anti-V2, and anti-Catholic.

"Idolatry is committed, not merely by setting up false gods, but also by setting up false devils; by making men afraid of war or alcohol, or economic law, when they should be afraid of spiritual corruption and cowardice.” G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:16 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

What you say can be said about a lot of on-line content, for example the Pope's Twitter account. Why single out LifeSite and Regina?

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:19 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Quote:
Jon Snow Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:56 am

I have found much that is good in LifesiteNews, and Regina. Which source can claim 100% approval by all?
Quote:
Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:12 am
But it is also somewhat disturbing and disappointing that neither Regina nor LifesiteNews does anything to monitor posts and posters that are obviously anti-Pope Francis, anti-V2, and anti-Catholic.

With a ban on “anti-Pope Francis, anti-V2, and anti-Catholic” posters we would not know only how the opposition is playing the news, but we would miss out on some realities of the errors of Pope Francis, as well as the realities of the anti-Catholic errors.

As TreeBeard has indicated there was much good in the article in question.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:26 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

As one educated by great English Jesuits it pains to see more Jesuit dissension.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/jesui ... ted-by-man
Jesuit chief claims Satan is only a ‘symbol’ created by man
Pete Baklinski
Extract:
June 2, 2017 (LifeSiteNews)
-- It’s been said that the greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And the new head of the Jesuit order seems to have fallen for it.
Fr. Arturo Sosa Abascal, the Jesuit’s Superior General, said in a May 31 interview with the Spanish paper El Mundo that Satan is a “symbolic figure” who doesn’t really exist.
“We have created symbolic figures, such as the devil, in order to express [the reality of] evil,” said Abascal when asked if he believes evil is a process of human psychology or comes from a higher being.
“Social conditioning also represents that figure,” he added.

The Catholic Church teaches, however, that Satan is a real being, a fallen angel who was cast from Heaven into Hell after rebelling against God.
“The Church teaches that Satan was at first a good angel, made by God: ‘The devil and the other demons were indeed created naturally good by God, but they became evil by their own doing.’” states the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
“Scripture speaks of a sin of these angels. This ‘fall’ consists in the free choice of these created spirits, who radically and irrevocably rejected God and his reign,” it adds.

Historically, the Superior General of the Jesuits has been dubbed the “Black Pope” because of his influence in the Church.
Abascal referring to the devil as a symbol follows a trend within current Catholic leadership of downplaying and even denying the existence of hell altogether.
------------------------

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:46 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Jon Snow wrote:

You will not find intellectual sobriety in either of them.

AMEN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:46 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

For the confused.

http://cities4life.org/2015/03/27/lifes ... ing-truth/
Nationwide Pro-Life Movement
LifeSite News: Reporting Truth
March 27, 2015 | By Melissa Pellew

benham brothers:
We are thankful for media outlets that are committed to pro-life and pro-family media. Today, Christian values are being stripped away from media presence. They are exceedingly grateful for the support and for their stance in the media on behalf of the Benham Brothers, founders of Cities4Life, as they dealt with the cancellation of their HGTV show because of their strong pro-life and pro-family stance. This is how and why LifeSiteNews exists from their website:

“LifeSiteNews.com is a non-profit Internet service dedicated to issues of culture, life, and family. It was launched in September 1997. LifeSiteNews Daily News reports and information pages are used by numerous organizations and publications, educators, professionals and political, religious and life and family organization leaders and grassroots people across North America and internationally.

LifeSiteNews.com Daily News reports are widely circulated reports on important developments in the United States, Canada and around the world. Their purpose is to provide balance and more accurate coverage on culture, life and family matters than is usually given by other media. Available by free daily email subscription and on LifeSiteNews.com.”

They explain how LifeSite News was so helpful to them during their persecution by those who were intolerant of their pro-life, pro-family values, which lead to the cancellation of their show. It is such a blessing to have a reliable media outlet, that is looking out for truth and committed to spreading it. This a great arena to support as the message of life, family and Christian values will be spread globally. Be sure to subscribe to this site in order to get the latest news in the pro-life and pro-family arena daily and support this organization in any way that you can. Praise God for raising up news sources that are willing to share the truth without compromise or fear.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:33 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Lifesite ain't that bad. It's actually very good and orthodox.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:08 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
I think most people here are turned off by the negativity that is prevalent in their articles. What they say is generally true, but the manner of presentation can be off-putting for those who prefer not to delve into, well, I guess I would call it recreational outrage, though it isn't the worst about presenting news in such a manner. I just looked over 8-10 of their stories and that was my takeaway. I prefer the informative to the negative.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:52 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
They are outrage click bait, UUUBER partisan, they give pro-lifers a bad name.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:39 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Rather than “recreational outrage” their presentations present the warp and woof against attacks on what the Church actually teaches versus the puerile slants of despisers and the errors of the misled.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:56 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

kage_ar wrote:
They are outrage click bait, UUUBER partisan, they give pro-lifers a bad name.

They are actually pretty good.