Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Art and morality
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:40 am 
Highness
Highness

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
1. Is it sinful for a sculptor to make idols for worship?

2. Is it sinful to dance in traditional dances of non-Christian societies, with song lyrics that affirm the historicity of non-Christian legends?

3. Is it sinful to listen to songs with "taboo words" (eg Eminem) or have suggestive content?

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

Post subject: Re: Art and morality
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:04 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Jack3 wrote:
1. Is it sinful for a sculptor to make idols for worship?[/qquote]
Yes

Quote:
2. Is it sinful to dance in traditional dances of non-Christian societies, with song lyrics that affirm the historicity of non-Christian legends?

Depends (nature of the dance, context)

Quote:
3. Is it sinful to listen to songs with "taboo words" (eg Eminem) or have suggestive content?

These not-songs, but utter trash, are disordered for other reasons. Merely having offensive words or suggestive language does not make something sinful (otherwise most Latin poetry would be sinful to read, and even parts of the bible)

But rather, the noise they make is disordered and causes destruction of virtue. Music moves the soul. I don't think it is coincidence that many of the current generation acted like possessed people when exposed to beautiful music (it is one thing to not yet appreciate classical music, but you would think demons were screaming in pain... because they are)

Music orders the soul. Here I am speaking of the notes, not the lyrics. And we have several generations raised on increasingly disordered music. At least in the past some pop music had the qualities of folk music (the Band e.g.), but today it is much more disordered.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:06 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
1 I would say that it is wrong. You would be making things knowing the use they will be put to. I would say that is material cooperation.

2 and 3 sound like matters of prudence to me. They aren't necessarily wrong, but at the same time not necessarily good either. I guess it depends. ETA: I am in agreement with the post above. In general, it's best to avoid such music, though I suppose you would have to take each piece on its own.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:59 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
The Mosaic law allowed jewish craftsmen to make 'images' for money as long as they did not themselves worship them but not to marry spouses who worshipped idols.

Christianity is more ambiguous. It allows us freedom to make informed exceptions for reason foreign to religion but also urges us to seek greater purity habitually.

The catechism is unambiguous about participation in non-christian worship. However, we are not categorically forbidden to engage in unreligious yoga as exercise, but we are cautioned to not get too immersed in it. Constant contact with conductors to evil are needlessly putting ourselves in the way of temptation. Presumption.

Christians learn about greek Gods and consider their differences to christianity but we don't worship them. We don't celebrate feasts to Venus or Saturnalias.

I think there is an ethic for Christians in consuming and making art and it consists in emphasizing the good.
Consider: Dante and Waugh wrote about some fairly sinful people for the right reason, to show the evil.
Eric Rohmer and Kieslowski made films, with some nakedness, to re-present the Ten Commandments and Perversion.

I think the difference is in the glamorization of sin, to shock, vrs to educate (as in sin off-stage and consequences on stage). That is why Waugh's SSA portrayals are more aesthetically Christian than Petronius work on the orgies of the Romans.

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:26 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Besides - Eminem is NOT music. :x If you were asking about Cole Porter lyrics, then I'd say you had a valid question. :mrgreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7NJ9ylAhos

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:09 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

"Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere..." --G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:15 am 
Highness
Highness

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Jack3 wrote:

Yes

In case I was not clear; I am referring to sculptors making statues for sale to idolaters, he does not worship them himself.

Quote:
Quote:

Are dances with the following words sinful:

-The Muslim shahada is quoted and affirmed
-A list of titles to a pagan deity followed by "I meditate on you"
-Referring to a "God" and saying, "May his glory be glorified"
-Saying that non-Christian legends (stories of gods) are historically true

Quote:
Quote:

These not-songs, but utter trash, are disordered for other reasons. Merely having offensive words or suggestive language does not make something sinful (otherwise most Latin poetry would be sinful to read, and even parts of the bible)

But rather, the noise they make is disordered and causes destruction of virtue. Music moves the soul. I don't think it is coincidence that many of the current generation acted like possessed people when exposed to beautiful music (it is one thing to not yet appreciate classical music, but you would think demons were screaming in pain... because they are)

Music orders the soul. Here I am speaking of the notes, not the lyrics. And we have several generations raised on increasingly disordered music. At least in the past some pop music had the qualities of folk music (the Band e.g.), but today it is much more disordered.

How does music move the soul, and not-songs destroy virtue? Can you give more explanation on that point, please?

Do the notes of the following destroy virtue:
-Love me like you do
-Shape of You
-Gangnam style
-Burn
-Baby one more time
-What makes you beautiful

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:21 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Jack3 wrote:
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Jack3 wrote:

Yes

In case I was not clear; I am referring to sculptors making statues for sale to idolaters, he does not worship them himself.

And he risks damnation. Such is a mortal sin, unambigiously so and against the constant and clear teaching of Catholic morality

Quote:
Quote:

[/quote]

Probably.

Quote:
Quote:

How does music move the soul, and not-songs destroy virtue? Can you give more explanation on that point, please?

-Love me like you do
-Shape of You
-Gangnam style
-Burn
-Baby one more time
[/quote]
I refuse to listen to that sinful garbage.

It should be obvious that music moves the passions. Try watching a movie without the sound track.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:05 pm 

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Jack3 wrote:

Yes

And he risks damnation. Such is a mortal sin, unambigiously so and against the constant and clear teaching of Catholic morality

Quote:
Quote:

Probably.

Quote:
Quote:

-Love me like you do
-Shape of You
-Gangnam style
-Burn
-Baby one more time
[/quote]

It should be obvious that music moves the passions. Try watching a movie without the sound track.[/quote]

The Cure of Ars continually warned his young parishioners to avoid going to "dances"; he knew that
young people going to a dance often ended up with unmarried ppl giving birth 2 children 9 months later.

Maybe I sound like an old fogie. Maybe that's bec I am an old fogie.
If you're young and immature, avoid dances like the plague.

Music: I haven't heard any good popular music in a long time. When I'm in my car, I prefer talk radio.
When there's nothing good on talk radio (christian preferably) I listen to christian popular music.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:54 am 
Highness
Highness

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Jack3 wrote:

Yes

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Probably.

Thank you for responding :)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-Love me like you do
-Shape of You
-Gangnam style
-Burn
-Baby one more time

It should be obvious that music moves the passions. Try watching a movie without the sound track.

Leaving aside my surprise that you have never heard even one of these songs, can you lease explain further how some notes destroy virtue?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:28 am 

By "notes" I presume you refer to the melody (or what passes for it), rather than the lyrics? In other words, you're asking for the sake of argument to put the lyrics aside and address the "musical" arrangement only?

And yes, I used the quotation marks on purpose. I'm familiar with two of the songs you mentioned, "Gangnam Style" and "Baby One More Time." I would refer to the non-lyrical portions of both as "music" by only the greatest stretch of the definition. :nooo:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 pm 
Highness
Highness

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
By "notes" I presume you refer to the melody (or what passes for it), rather than the lyrics? In other words, you're asking for the sake of argument to put the lyrics aside and address the "musical" arrangement only?

I mean what PED refers to:

Quote:
Quote:

Music orders the soul. Here I am speaking of the notes, not the lyrics. And we have several generations raised on increasingly disordered music. At least in the past some pop music had the qualities of folk music (the Band e.g.), but today it is much more disordered

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:28 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Here's some absolutely sinful music (NAR): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmxXIS2ot8w

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:51 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
I love it when people make up big, theological and philosophical reasons to mask tastes. But just for fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM (Turns out modern popular music and classical music have a lot more in common than often thought)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6rBK0BqL2w (Beetoven, father of all metalheads)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:55 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Mmmmmmmm ... oven beets.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:11 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
nm

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:15 am 
Highness
Highness

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Jack3 wrote:

Yes

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Probably.

Are these intrinsically sinful, or only insofar it is proximate material co-operation to evil?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:14 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

gherkin wrote:
nm

tx

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:52 pm 

la

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:03 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

moonlight

Need something to read?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next