Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: EDIT: Young Orthodox Catholic Needs Help!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:29 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic
I recently recommitted myself to the Faith about four months ago and have done so in a more orthodox fashion. It's somewhat difficult- at least for me at this time- to find other young Catholics that celebrate their Faith in a more traditional manner.

This past Sunday I attended a Student Mass that's ran by my University's Campus Ministry. Nearly everyone was a student, as expected. The Mass good, actually great, up until the homily- which was quite liberal in the wrong ways and left me disappointed. During the homily the priest twisted the Gospel reading (Jesus and the Sadducees) into a speech about a new age in the Church that's fueled by Christ's message of a "radical" equality that was opposed by the Sadducees at the time. He used this as a segue into a speech praising the University's LGBTQ curriculum and the "shocking times"(not in a negative context) that have culminated in our State's passage of Same-sex marriage approval. Though I may be wrong, I thought this reading was about the "World to Come," after the second coming when the struggle against Sin is over; that worldly marriage would no longer be relevant after the Final Judgement. Instead he talked about the "oppressive social environments of the times" that "forced" a Brother to marry his dead siblings widow. Orphans and Widows may have been harshly and unjustly treated during the time of Christ, but weren't these marriage laws a command of God as per the Old Covenant?

The Parish Church itself was beautiful and the voices of the student choir even more so, but the Homily rattled me and sort of ruined it. I lost focus of the reason I was there, to Pray and receive the Eucharist, and in fact I did not go up for communion because of the confusion and discontent I felt after the homily. I actually slipped out right after the dismissal blessing and didn't engage in the after-mass hospitality and socializing, which was sort of why I went to a Student Mass in the first place.

I've had to reconfigure my life significantly due to the whole following Jesus thing :) Though it seems quite difficult to find young people(I'm 24) who share my preference for a more Orthodox form of Catholicism.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm looking for any advice discussing the Faith with other Catholics my age or any resources for finding other young, orthodox Catholics.

Absolutely.

Post subject: Re: EDIT: Young Orthodox Catholic Needs Help!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:39 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Welcome! I used to be young ;)

A great way to find like minded Catholics is to get involved with the pro life movement ... Groups like "generation life" or "students for life". Are you familiar with FOCUS? If they are not at your school, see if they are near! Your diocese may have more resources... They would know if there is an OF Mass available to you.

Sorry for the homily, sounds like the priest needs more prayers. Can you volunteer at the campus Parish and maybe sit down and talk to Father? Maybe try to get Courage involved there?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:43 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Perhaps if you're willing to let us know in what diocese you attend school, there may be someone on the board who can give you a recommendation. :fyi:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:12 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: OCDS
If your city has Theology on Tap.
That was my social outlet when I was single....
Beers with the kids who attended the late mass at an Opus Dei parish and Theology on Tap.

Really, where you go for mass is the best start. There has to be an orthodox parish near you.... I highly recommend parishes run by the Dominican Order. They are all around solid in every town I've ever been.....

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:19 am 
Master
Master

Thank you all for your advice and prayers.

I'm in the Archdiocese of Chicago; Illinois just passed the same-sex amendment (that's what I meant by "State"). A few weeks ago I actually went to Solemn Latin Mass that's celebrated by a highly orthodox parish in Chicago. They're very much for "restoring the sacred" and a simple google search will point to the Parish. However, I was the youngest person there. Honestly, I didn't really understand what was going on much of the time, but the Homily was AWESOME. It was mainly about how all the world governments that existed during the time of Christ have fallen, as will all current governments, and only the Church will remain in the end. Very inspiring.

Thinking back to the Mass that inspired this post; While I think the priest was still wrong in many aspects, I think it may be better to think of it as a challenge to Love in the same way our current Pope has proposed. You can never accommodate Sin, which is what I felt this particular priest may have been leaning towards, especially considering the curriculum of the University he leads (he's the President of the University.) Though sometimes I find it easier to be Orthodox simply for the fact that it's conservative (which is the opposite of how I used to be, politically, spiritually, etc.) But I think there's a difference between "Orthodox" and "Conservative." I think being Conservative may lead to distrust and condemnation, while being Orthodox may lead to tears and action.

After that initial student Mass, I just left, and I left ANGRY. Maybe if I stayed with the other students and said "Let's talk about this," it could have been a better experience. Though quite frankly I don't think my Faith, Knowledge, and/or Spirit is at this point. Actually, I've sort of "backslid" in the last week, so maybe it's better that I left, I really don't know.

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:01 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
We fall, we get to Confession and we get back up again. Repeat til heaven.

Don't become discouraged! It can seem strange to be the only person your age in a group, but, think of it as your family - if you went home and only your parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles were there for dinner, you would stay and feel at home. That is your Catholic family, you can still learn much from them!

There are 4 FOCUS Campuses in Ill, so, maybe one is close enough for you to get involved? http://www.focus.org/on-campus/focus-campuses.html

ICK has some very interesting sounding events, have you checked them out? http://www.institute-christ-king.org/ch ... go-events/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:13 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I assume he either went to one of the ICR parishes or to St. John Cantius.

UIC and Northwestern are both in the Chicago area.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:15 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Quote:
But I think there's a difference between "Orthodox" and "Conservative." I think being Conservative may lead to distrust and condemnation, while being Orthodox may lead to tears and action.
A good distinction, and hang on to it.

Need something to read?