Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: He said he loved me, and I laughed at him.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:37 am 

Religion: Catholic
I only just got computer access again after five months without it, and I've moved out at last, so here I am. I have not read the new replies to the initial post yet.

In the past several months Greg has done many things that make me wonder if he really did love me, so I decided I would ask him if he remembered he was supposed to tell me if he did love me. He said he did remember and that he would. I thought, ok, guess I was wrong. We went on.

Two weeks ago I started to really feel bad that 16 months into this relationship he didn't love me. I thought, this is just not normal. I asked every male friend I have and they said that if after this long he doesn't love me, then he's not going to.

So I decided I needed to break up with him. It was mainly because I didn't want to be upset--I was upset and depressed EVERY DAY for five years with the ex, and I didn't want to feel that way again. I figured I preferred to be single.

So I asked him to come over and I explained that I was sad that he didn't love me, that I didn't want to suffer again, and that I felt like I needed to break up with him. He talked me out of it. I honestly don't remember how.

Then this last Monday night he was over at my place. As he was leaving, I hugged him and said, "I love you." I don't often say it, so that he won't feel uncomfortable. He sort of mumbled, "I love you too."

My reaction was to laugh, smack him, and say, "No, you don't."

He said something about its being an automatic response, and I said, "I told you never to say anything you don't mean." He said, "I know, sorry."

Why did I react that way? Honestly, because he JUST insisted a few weeks ago that he didn't love me, and because this is actually not the first time he has joked about being in love with me. The other time, I said the same thing--"no, you don't"--and he stopped, thought for a second, and then said, "Oh yeah." And laughed.

So, I don't know what was going on there. I did ask him later and he said he wasn't sure why he said it either. I said, so that he wouldn't feel bad/feel pressure, "If you meant to say it, just say it again some time when I say it. Otherwise, we won't worry about it."

So, how dumb was I?