Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: College and Faith
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:08 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Soon I'll be going to a very liberal college in a very liberal state. I'm worried about what this will do to my faith. In some areas I'll be fine. For example the Newman Center is very pro-life and it's associated with a more traditional parish. But I'm concerned about the issue of gay marriage on campus. The area is very much in support of it, to the point that even the campus conservative group marched in the Pride parade. On this topic I can't find much information on the views at the Newman Center. There was a homily against it from two years ago (by a priest who is no longer there), but two years before that, a gay activist group rated it as a gay friendly parish. I have noticed that their current bulliten quotes our bishop against the DOMA decision. But my concern is that this is the opinion of the staff, and not of the students. I need students who can agree with the Church on this because if not I'll likely find my self completely ostracized. I can no longer remain silent like I did through high school. Also, I'm concerned that if I'm put under too much pressure my position may change. Before I converted, I was already believed that it should be legal (but still against God). Since converting the belief that it shouldn't be legal was fairly difficult for me to accept, in its entirety. I feel that I'm weak on this topic and that scares me. So is does anyone have any advice.? Honestly with the information I have I may be worrying too much, but I need to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Post subject: Re: College and Faith
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:22 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Quote:
Honestly with the information I have I may be worrying too much
:yes:

Are you praying daily?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 am 

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Quote:
Honestly with the information I have I may be worrying too much
:yes:

Are you praying daily?

I am. I guess a lot of my fear comes from the fact that it reminds me of my first impressions of my current parish. It's very pro-life and the priest has given homilies against same-sex marriage and occasionally puts those views in the bulletin. But outside of him the parish is pretty liberal. I've had arguments with my RCIA leaders (the pastoral associates) on the topics of gay marriage and women priests (they are also into liberation theology). Also, you can't be around the head of the social justice committee without her talking about the need for women priests (she also has argued for gay marriage). It took a year and a half before I noticed these views. So when I look at the Newman Center's website and read a homily against gay marriage and see the same thing in the bulletin, I still hesitate. In my very little experience, this doesn't mean that the lay leaders and students will be orthodox on these topics. An orthodox priest is good, but if everyone else (or most) isn't, then a much needed support structure will be lacking. The biggest problem is that I can't know for sure, until I'm there; I really don't want to repeat the situation at my current parish. I know this is pre-mature, but it's hard when you consider what happened at my current parish (my only experience in a Catholic environment).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:33 am 

Religion: islam
I heard from a priest that a certain pope (can't remember who) said it was...Perhaps I misunderstood and it would be an occasion of sin? I don't know.