Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 9 of 12   [ 234 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Praying the Rosary
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:08 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
I will vouch for him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:10 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Signum Crucis wrote:
I will vouch for him.

Rats. I was going to call him out for his defense of such a scholarly-type treatise by using two sentence fragments. :rant:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:28 pm 

Religion: Catholic-Christian
Signum Crucis wrote:
I will vouch for him.

Thanks! Look, I apologize if I have created controversy. I don't want that. We all serve the same God. My faith has stemmed from the Catholic Church. If you read my story, the local Church in Florida, was a Catholic Church with a wonderful priest. It just took me going outside the Catholic Church to fully understand the whole Gospel and to know what a Personal Relationship with Jesus Christ looks like. The Catholic Church likes everything to run through the Church. Examples Confession, Receiving Christ at Mass through Communion, Using the provided Missal instead of bringing your Bible. For a lot of people, that might be exactly what they need and what they are looking for. But it took me going to North Point Community Church to learn how to bring God into my everyday life.

If anyone cares what I think needs to change in order for the Catholic Church to thrive in the future, I would be happy to share what I have learned through my observations at many of the Atlanta Catholic Churches. There is a disconnect, especially for the younger generations.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:30 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
MartyMart wrote:
gherkin wrote:
Dorothy B. wrote:
However, your post shows to me that you have not read or just didn't care about what everyone else has written.

That is because it is not a post written in reply to anything in this thread. It is spam.

http://www.godotdo.org/2012/12/09/praye ... the-point/

Not spam. As I wrote that.

so...you're not really Catholic any longer then?

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:31 pm 

MartyMart wrote:
If anyone cares what I think needs to change in order for the Catholic Church to thrive in the future, I would be happy to share what I have learned through my observations at many of the Atlanta Catholic Churches. There is a disconnect, especially for the younger generations.

Careful, my friend. My uncle is a retired Monsignor in the Archdiocese of Atlanta. You're talking about my peeps and my home.... :x

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:35 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

MartyMart wrote:

see that's the thing...the Church has existed for 2000 years, NOT as democracy, but being led by the successors to the apostles.... does your north point community church have a pedigree like that? better still, is that ecclesial community obedient to the Words of our Lord? marty, come back to His Church ... you are indeed putting your very soul in jeopardy by separating yourself from the Body of Christ , His One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:38 pm 

MartyMart wrote:
Prayer is communication with God. The Bible actually speaks against repetitive prayer. God just wants you to talk to Him. He wants to have a daily relationship with you. Prayer can be listening to worship music. Reading the Bible. Asking God questions. Meditating on His word. Listening in Silence. Journaling. There is no right or wrong way to pray. But it seems you are more focused on the "doing" and forgetting why and what praying really is.

The Bible speaks against empty or vain repitition, not repetitive prayer. There's a difference. Nobody can get into another person's head to determine what is empty or not. You cannot judge another person's communication with God.

Quote:
Matt. 26:44 - for example, Jesus prayed a third time in the garden of Gethsemane, saying the exact same words again. It is not the repetition that is the issue. It's the vanity. God looks into our heart, not solely at our words.

Luke 18:13 - the tax collector kept beating his breast and praying "God be merciful to me, a sinner." This repetitive prayer was pleasing to God because it was offered with a sincere and repentant heart.

Acts 10:2,4 - Cornelius prayed constantly to the Lord and his prayers ascended as a memorial before God.

Rom. 1:9 - Paul says that he always mentions the Romans in his prayers without ceasing.

Rom. 12:12 - Paul commands us to be constant in prayer. God looks at what is in our heart, not necessarily how we choose our words.

1 Thess. 5:17 - Paul commands us to pray constantly. Good repetition is different than vain repetition.

Rev. 4:8 - the angels pray day and night without cessation the same words "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty." This is repetitious prayer that is pleasing to God.

Psalm 136 - in this Psalm, the phrase "For His steadfast love endures forever" is more repetitious than any Catholic prayer, and it is God's divine Word.

Dan. 3:35-66 - the phrase "Bless the Lord" is similarly offered repeatedly, and mirrors Catholic litanies.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:41 pm 

MartyMart wrote:
The Catholic Church likes everything to run through the Church. Examples Confession, Receiving Christ at Mass through Communion, Using the provided Missal instead of bringing your Bible. For a lot of people, that might be exactly what they need and what they are looking for. But it took me going to North Point Community Church to learn how to bring God into my everyday life.

I don't want the Catholic Church to change for me or anyone else. If it needs to change, it can and will change according to the will of God. It's not my church, it's Jesus' Church.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:41 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
MartyMart wrote:
[

'

Yeah because the mainline Protestant denominations that adopted that philosophy back in the 60's are totally growing and expanding and not at all dying and on the brink of bankruptcy...I mean, just because the churches that adopted this philosophy have lost more than 25% of their membership doesn't mean that it doesn't work right? It just means that they haven't done it long enough, kind of like how the Soviet Union fell is only because they didn't have enough time to creare a true worker's paradise.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:48 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

For 42 years I lived and breathed Southern Baptist teachings. At age 42 I found the true Christ in the Catholic Church. Never looked back.

Btw, you are welcome to take your Bible to Mass. It isn't forbidden, you know.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:51 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

sig and i are the same age but share the same sentiment...she also made it into the Church of our Lord a little before i did...i was 46 when i came into full communion with His Church ... best thing i ever did in my entire life :cloud9:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:13 pm 

I was 47 when I came into full Communion with Christ's One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. That was 25 years after I first felt the tug to convert. My faith jouney led me through the doors of congregations ranging from Methodist through Southern Baptist through Messianic Jewish and from non-Christian churches ranging from Mormon through Baha'i. Our Lord and Our Lady are infinintely patient and infinitely merciful. I'm living, breathing proof of that. My only regret is delaying as long as I did. Come home.

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:18 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

I was called to the Catholic Church as a child, but I took the long road home. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:29 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
MartyMart wrote:
gherkin wrote:
Dorothy B. wrote:
However, your post shows to me that you have not read or just didn't care about what everyone else has written.

That is because it is not a post written in reply to anything in this thread. It is spam.

http://www.godotdo.org/2012/12/09/praye ... the-point/

Not spam. As I wrote that.

Doesn't matter if you wrote it. You presented it here as though it were some kind of contribution to this thread, but it's not. It's a repost of a blog post. Spam. Want people to read your blog? Post a link.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:33 pm 

so...you're not really Catholic any longer then?[/quote]

I consider myself a Christian with a Catholic Background! Yes, I still attend Mass.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:35 pm 

Careful, my friend. My uncle is a retired Monsignor in the Archdiocese of Atlanta. You're talking about my peeps and my home.... :x[/quote]

That is wonderful! No need for threats...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:36 pm 

MartyMart wrote:
so...you're not really Catholic any longer then?

I consider myself a Christian with a Catholic Background! Yes, I still attend Mass.

Hey, Judas was at the first Mass, but I don't think anyone considers him to be Catholic. Do you submit yourself to the authority of the Holy See?

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:38 pm 

How do I delete my Username... What a hostile bunch of people! I don't belong on this site.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:40 pm 

On 2nd thought, MM, I withdraw my question. It really is between you and God through your priest/bishop. It really isn't any of my business.

HOWEVER, please don't purport/proclaim yourself as Catholic if you don't subscribe to the tenets of the Church. We get enough bad press that way as it is. :fyi:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:41 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
MartyMart wrote:
Careful, my friend. My uncle is a retired Monsignor in the Archdiocese of Atlanta. You're talking about my peeps and my home.... :x

That is wonderful! No need for threats...[/quote]

You have a strange definition of the word 'threat', where did she threaten you?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 9 of 12   [ 234 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next