Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 10 of 12   [ 230 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Praying the Rosary
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:42 pm 

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
MartyMart wrote:
How do I delete my Username... What a hostile bunch of people! I don't belong on this site.

I know, it's crazy, right? You come here and criticize the Rosary, and then repost one of your blog posts as though it were actually written as a contribution to the discussion going on in this thread, you call yourself a Catholic and say you go to mass even though you do not, in fact, accept the authority of the Church...and people here point out that these are not optimal ways to contribute to the discussion here in Cath 101. What a bunch of jerks we are.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:49 pm 

Religion: Catholic-Christian
gherkin wrote:
MartyMart wrote:
How do I delete my Username... What a hostile bunch of people! I don't belong on this site.

I know, it's crazy, right? You come here and criticize the Rosary, and then repost one of your blog posts as though it were actually written as a contribution to the discussion going on in this thread, you call yourself a Catholic and say you go to mass even though you do not, in fact, accept the authority of the Church...and people here point out that these are not optimal ways to contribute to the discussion here in Cath 101. What a bunch of jerks we are.

You are right. I admit this is not the place for me. And I never spoke against the Rosary.... just showed an easier way. Anyways... I am sorry and am Happy to delete my username and be done if I knew how.

Christ greatest command is to love... even your enemies. No love here. No love = no Christ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:50 pm 

MartyMart wrote:
gherkin wrote:
MartyMart wrote:

You are right. I admit this is not the place for me. And I never spoke against the Rosary.... just showed an easier way. Anyways... I am sorry and am Happy to delete my username and be done if I knew how.

Christ greatest command is to love... even your enemies. No love here. No love = no Christ

Do you think it might be a bit unloving of you to make such a claim on the basis of a few terse message board posts?

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:52 pm 

Christ greatest command is to love... even your enemies. No love here. No love = no Christ[/quote]
Do you think it might be a bit unloving of you to make such a claim on the basis of a few terse message board posts?[/quote]

I clearly was judged. Someone claimed I'm going to hell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:57 pm 

MartyMart wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you think it might be a bit unloving of you to make such a claim on the basis of a few terse message board posts?

I clearly was judged. Someone claimed I'm going to hell

You said there is no love here. Is that not a judgment? :scratch:

Look, you're most welcome to participate in discussions here, and I hope you will. Why not start over? Pull out of this thread--we're not supposed to be arguing over the Rosary in here at all, this is Cath 101, which is a forum for people who have legitimate questions about the Faith. You're not here asking legitimate questions about the Faith. So far, you're here attempting to undermine it. So go to the Lyceum or apologetics and post your challenges. It can be very instructive.

Last edited by gherkin on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:58 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
MartyMart wrote:

MartyMart, people here are not really hostile. They are, however, reacting to the way you have presented yourself here. You did not post an introduction to let us know a bit about yourself, so our only impression of you is from your posts. You list your religion as Catholic-Christian, yet the first post that I read by you denies the Eucharist. Then I see you arguing against the rosary and criticizing the Church.

Most of the people who have interacted with you here are adult converts to the Church, and they see in you someone who seems to be throwing away his Catholic faith for some feel good non-catholic community. If you really want to discuss the faith, maybe you should choose a topic and be willing to listen to what people say in reply to you rather than just preaching to us. If you're not willing to have a give and take discussion, maybe this isn't the site for you.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:02 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
MartyMart wrote:

Do you think it might be a bit unloving of you to make such a claim on the basis of a few terse message board posts?[/quote]

I clearly was judged. Someone claimed I'm going to hell[/quote]

hmmm... was this where you thought i claimed you were going to hell?

Quote:
you are indeed putting your very soul in jeopardy by separating yourself from the Body of Christ , His One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

there is Church teaching to back me up there...what do you have? :?

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:03 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
No love?!? If we didn't love, we wouldn't care about your eternal soul--or anyone else's (including our own). We'd let you say what you want, we'd do what we (our sinful human natures) want, and no one would give a rip.

Jesus was sinless, yet he let the moneylenders in the Temple know in no uncertain terms that they were dead wrong. You going to say He wasn't loving His people then?

True agape love demands that we tell you what you NEED to hear, even though it's not what you WANT to hear.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:23 pm 

Most of the people who have interacted with you here are adult converts to the Church, and they see in you someone who seems to be throwing away his Catholic faith for some feel good non-catholic community. If you really want to discuss the faith, maybe you should choose a topic and be willing to listen to what people say in reply to you rather than just preaching to us. If you're not willing to have a give and take discussion, maybe this isn't the site for you.[/quote]

I have apologized multiple times. I am sorry I came across the way I did. I will post any further questions/discussions in the right forum. I am ALWAYS open to hear others people's views and opinions.

I have really been digging in and studying the Catholic Church. I posted here to see how Catholics outside my community would respond to the things I said and to gain further understanding.

I have lunch with Priest at my local Catholic Churches. I speak to youth directors. I spend an hour in the Word every morning following the readings of the Catholic Church then reading Word Among Us. I think every Catholic should read that daily! Good Stuff! When I go to the Catholic Church I do bring my Bible :)... Yes it is Catholic. I do think the Eucharist is more than bread and wine. Confession is great... So please don't think I am Anti-Catholic.... I DO NOT believe in Once Saved Always Saved as a lot of Non Catholic Churches believe.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:30 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

This site is a teaching ministry. I'm sure you will find that knowledge of Holy Scripture is not lacking here. :)

You can post questions in the Lyceum and challenges to Catholic teachings in the Apologetics forum.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:18 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
faithfulservant wrote:
and if you go to the home page of the site, you can be treated to cee lo green's version of one of our favorite songs "Mary did you know"

Thing is, I liked Cee Lo until that :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:23 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
kage_ar wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
and if you go to the home page of the site, you can be treated to cee lo green's version of one of our favorite songs "Mary did you know"

Thing is, I liked Cee Lo until that :cry:

That's why it is best to only listen to musicians who are dead, they can never disappoint you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:45 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

YouCat catechism in Portuguese and Spanish versions have a different way of saying the Rosary. Here's one in Portuguese:

(1) Sign of the Cross
(2) Five decades: announcement of a mystery, Our Father, ten Hail Marys and a Glory Be.
(3) Three times Hail Mary
(4) Salve Regina

Spanish version:

(1) In the name of the Father and of the Son...
(2) Creed (profession of the faith) or other prayer ("Pesáme Dios mío").
(3) Five decades formulated by one Our Father, followed by ten Hail Marys and one Glory Be.
(4) Our Father.
(5) Three Hail Marys (with which we can ask for three theological virtues of Faith, Hope, and Love; or invoke Mary as daughter of the Father, Mother of the Son, and Spouse of the Holy Spirit).
(6) Glory Be...

I was already accustomed to the Portuguese version when I said the Rosary with people at Lisbon, Portugal.

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:42 pm 

Daaaaaamn....I gotta pray the Rosary more. :pray:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:18 am 
Citizen
Citizen

saint daisy wrote:
Do you all need to read the rosary (from a cheat sheet like me) or do you have all the prayers of the rosary memorized? I still don't know Hail Holy Queen or the prayer after that "O God, Whose..." :oops: I also need to read "I believe in God, the father almighty..." because if I don't I get it mixed up with the other one... know what I mean? I want to memorize these prayers... but I haven't yet... anyone else want to admit to not knowing all their prayers :)

I learned to pray the rosary in latin, but like you, I still haven't even memorized the hail holy queen in English so for that I will just read it from my holy rosary app on my ipad mini :mrgreen:

But I usually start off most of the time by saying individual prayers for each person on my prayer list and for each soul on my purgatory prayer list.
I have really fallen in love with the Latin said rosary and I usually say it at night in my room .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:20 am 
Citizen
Citizen

SacredSpear wrote:
Daaaaaamn....I gotta pray the Rosary more. :pray:

And you will my friend because the desire is allready in you :)
God knows your heart and will bless you with this grace eventually :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:23 pm 

Religion: catholic
Many Catholics are not aware of the importance of meditating while praying the words of the rosary.
Pope Paul vi had an interesting comment on the rosary. In his encyclical MARIALIS CULTUS he writes:
47. There has also been felt with greater urgency the need to point out once more the importance of a further essential element in the Rosary, in addition to the value of the elements of praise and petition, namely the element of contemplation. Without this the Rosary is a body without a soul, and its recitation is in danger of becoming a mechanical repetition of formulas and of going counter to the warning of Christ: "And in praying do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their many words" (Mt. 6:7). By its nature the recitation of the Rosary calls for a quiet rhythm and a lingering pace, helping the individual to meditate on the mysteries of the Lord's life as seen through the eyes of her who was closest to the Lord. In this way the unfathomable riches of these mysteries are unfolded.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_ ... us_en.html

When Catholics recite the twelve prayers that form a decade of the rosary, they meditate on the mystery associated with that decade. If they merely recite the prayers, whether vocally or silently, they’re missing the essence of the rosary. It isn’t just a recitation of prayers, but a meditation on the grace of God. Critics, not knowing about the meditation part, imagine the rosary must be boring, uselessly repetitious, meaningless, and their criticism carries weight if you reduce the rosary to a formula. Christ forbade meaningless repetition (Matt. 6:7), but the Bible itself prescribes some prayers that involve repetition. Look at Psalms 136, which is a litany (a prayer with a recurring refrain) meant to be sung in the Jewish Temple. In the psalm the refrain is "His mercy endures forever." Sometimes in Psalms 136 the refrain starts before a sentence is finished, meaning it is more repetitious than the rosary, though this prayer was written directly under the inspiration of God.

It is the meditation on the mysteries that gives the rosary its staying power.
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/the-rosary

In 1481 our Lady appeared to the Venerable Dominic, a Carthusian devoted to the holy Rosary, who lived at Treves, and said to him:

"Whenever one of the faithful, in a state of grace, says the Rosary while meditating on the mysteries of the life and passion of Christ, he obtains full and entire remission of all his sins."

She also said to Blessed Alan, "I want you to know that, although there are numerous indulgences already attached to the recitation of my Rosary, I shall add many more to every five decades for those, who free from serious sin, say them with devotion, on their knees. And whosoever shall persevere in the devotion of the holy Rosary, with its prayers and meditations, shall be rewarded for it; I shall obtain for him full remission of the penalty and the guilt of all his sins at the end of his life.

http://www.rosary-center.org/secret.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:09 pm 

Religion: Converting Catholic
Do you normally pray the rosary out loud or in your head, I'm not sure which one is to be done.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:51 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
usually in my head... but even when doing that (like during adoration), i'm still mouthing the words

i have prayed it out loud even while i'm alone... either way is good 8-) :cloud9:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:55 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
LizzyTheKitty wrote:
Do you normally pray the rosary out loud or in your head, I'm not sure which one is to be done.

Hi Lizzy,

When I pray the Rosary with those who stay after weekday Mass, we say it together out loud.

When I pray the Rosary by myself at home I say it in my head -- although sometimes I say it aloud....
I live alone. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 10 of 12   [ 230 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next