Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blessing Children at Communion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:12 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: OCDS
Any guidelines on the blessing of children at the eucharistic line.
Why would a young priest refuse to bless children in the communion line.
Is there something unorthodox about this?

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

Post subject: Re: Blessing Children at Communion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:14 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
There is no provision for it in any official rite or rubrics.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:18 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

http://www.ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/zlitur263.htm

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:28 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Thinks2much wrote:

Because he isn't supposed to be giving blessings there.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:59 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
It is something that was "nice" that someone dreampt up somewhere, it became accepted as a universal thing.

The children will receive a blessing just before the dismissal with everyone else.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:58 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
RCIA classes would do well not to encourage candidates to go up for a blessing either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:15 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Thinks2much wrote:
It is a recent invention. The Church has made some 'observations' and not even a single one of them is favourable. From the days of the Apostles, such a practice was unheard of till the 21st century. I am against this. Anyway, he should not lay his hands on or trace the sign of the cross on the forehead of the other person, as those hands will touch Jesus again.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:24 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

At my daughter's parish, The extraordinary ministers put their hand on the children and say "Jesus Loves You". The priest and Deacon give a blessing.

“The next time something bad happens to you through no fault of your own, and you are about to complain to God, ‘I didn’t deserve that,’ look at a crucifix and say those same words to Him: ‘I didn’t deserve that.’ It gives you a sense of perspective.” Dr. Peter Kreeft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:27 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

arkcatholic wrote:
At my daughter's parish, The extraordinary ministers put their hand on the children and say "Jesus Loves You". The priest and Deacon give a blessing.
Wait a minute,...EMHCs touch the child and touch the Body and Blood of our Savior after that, and put him on someone's hand! Disgusting.....

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:28 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Jack3 wrote:
arkcatholic wrote:
Wait a minute,...EMHCs touch the child and touch the Body and Blood of our Savior after that, and put him on someone's hand! Disgusting.....

Yes

“The next time something bad happens to you through no fault of your own, and you are about to complain to God, ‘I didn’t deserve that,’ look at a crucifix and say those same words to Him: ‘I didn’t deserve that.’ It gives you a sense of perspective.” Dr. Peter Kreeft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:29 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

arkcatholic wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
arkcatholic wrote:

Yes
:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:46 am 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
arkcatholic wrote:

Can a deacon give such a blessing? I thought they were only allowed to bless those things allowed by law. He shouldn't even bless water during Mass since the priest is there. I doubt it would be ok for him to bless people coming through the communion line.

FJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:12 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

forumjunkie wrote:
arkcatholic wrote:

Can a deacon give such a blessing? I thought they were only allowed to bless those things allowed by law. He shouldn't even bless water during Mass since the priest is there. I doubt it would be ok for him to bless people coming through the communion line.

FJ
Quote:
Can. 1169 §3 A deacon can impart only those blessings which are expressly permitted to him by law.
Common formulae of blessing, like "the Lord be with you" and "May the blessing of..." appear in blessings which a deacon is authorised to use, the practice of giving blessings in the communion line is not approved by the Church.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:55 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Jack3 wrote:
forumjunkie wrote:
arkcatholic wrote:

FJ
Quote:
Can. 1169 §3 A deacon can impart only those blessings which are expressly permitted to him by law.
Common formulae of blessing, like "the Lord be with you" and "May the blessing of..." appear in blessings which a deacon is authorised to use, the practice of giving blessings in the communion line is not approved by the Church.

I have a permanent deacon friend who told me that he was told explicitly that, except as a liturgical function, he can't bless people. And by liturgical function he meant those he would do as presider.

Any deacons here who can clarify?

FJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:48 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm pretty sure I was told I could as a transitional deacon, but maybe I had faculties for it.

And yes, I do bless people in the communion line. I'm not thrilled about it, but that's not a ditch I'm going to die in.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:55 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: OCDS
Jack3 wrote:
arkcatholic wrote:

At my parish, its an air blessing.
I had no idea there was anything wrong with it.
Aside from communion ministers, our parish tends to do things by the book, (or so I thought)

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:31 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
There is the ideal and then there is reality. A priest shouldn't introduce the practice, and really one shouldn't approach for a blessing. It is not the time for it.

But people generally expect it. And it is usually low on the list of things to tackle (below emptying holy water fonts in Lent... that practice is far more harmful!). I think aside from not encouraging it, and may subtly discouraging, the best I would expect is that the priest give such discreetly and to instruct EHMCs to simply say God bless you are something like that. No gestures.

Re introduce the communion rail and the EF and the practice is easier to end. Indeed, that is one attractive thing there- you can fight 500 mini battles, over things ranging from hugely important to minutiae with the OF and at every stage you will be attacked, or even have insistence that this incorrect/less ideal way is the way you are supposed to do something. But the EF, well it is different and comes with what it comes with. One battle.

Obviously, not a solution for every case and parish. So some priests have to have the frustration of being nagged by people like us about what is right, and on the other hand fighting every little battle for every minutia. He cannot win, so at best he does his best to nudge things in the right direction, insofar as it is even in his power, and lives with complaints on both sides.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:41 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I'm pretty sure I was told I could as a transitional deacon, but maybe I had faculties for it.

And yes, I do bless people in the communion line. I'm not thrilled about it, but that's not a ditch I'm going to die in.

I really have no problem with a priest doing it, especially when there hasn't been any overt encouragement of it. If people present themselves in line for a blessing, then I would expect a pastorally-minded priest to do it. My question was about a deacon. I'm not sure a deacon has such an ability without being given explicit faculties.

FJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:49 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

forumjunkie wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
forumjunkie wrote:
arkcatholic wrote:

FJ
Quote:

I have a permanent deacon friend who told me that he was told explicitly that, except as a liturgical function, he can't bless people. And by liturgical function he meant those he would do as presider.

Any deacons here who can clarify?

FJ
De Benedictionibus, the Book of Blessings says that a deacon can bless the following:

Water (i.e. "make" holy water), rosaries, holy pictures and statues destined for private veneration, medals, and personal religious articles in general. Families, couples, children, women before or after giving birth, old folks, sick folks, catechists, catechetical meetings, parish meetings, pilgrims, travelers, new homes, new schools and universities, new libraries, new hospitals, offices and shops, vehicles, technical equipment and tools, animals, fields and flocks, first fruits, and tables and meals.

Certain blessings, however, require a member of the priestly order. They include:

The blessing of a cathedra, ambo, tabernacle, of fonts and baptisteries, images of the Lord and the saints for public veneration, new church doors, bells, and organs, cemeteries, seminaries, and missionaries.
source

A blessing itself is a liturgical act.