Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: stealing
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:39 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
if you buy a ten ride bus ticket and it works for more than ten rides is that stealing?

Post subject: Re: stealing
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:14 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
If I order a dozen donuts and get home to find 14 in the box, no, I did not steal.

Now, if the pass somehow is malfunctioning and lasts forever I'd likely tell the folks in charge.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
kpl2014 wrote:
if you buy a ten ride bus ticket and it works for more than ten rides is that stealing?

No

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:50 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
kpl2014 wrote:

How much more than 10? If it works for 11 rides, that is a bookkeeping error on their part and you are not responsible. If it works for 50 rides, and you don't notify them about the error and keep using it, then I think it rises to the level of a more serious issue.

A few weeks ago, I was at the Family Dollar and bought what I believed would cost more than $20. For some reason, the scanner wasn't working and only one item successfully scanned, and my total came to only $3.32. I immediately spoke up and said 'wait, that doesn't make sense, I have items that cost more than $3.32, there is no way my total order is only $3.32.' The cashier looked at the receipt and recognized the error. So she cancelled the transaction and rang everything up again and I paid the correct amount. I knew it was wrong and corrected the error, I could have walked out of the store with more $20 in groceries that I got for only $3.32, but I believed that would be wrong.

However, last week I went to Best Buy and among the items I bought was a 20 oz bottle of Diet Coke. When I got home and looked at my receipt, I noticed that the cashier never scanned the Coke, I got it free. That was an honest error by the cashier, and it was an honest error by me, because the difference in price was so comparatively small, that I didn't notice the price was wrong. I don't feel about that, it was not my fault.

See the difference?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:56 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Many times when I order the same breakfast at Bob Evans, it's a different price...