Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]   
 Post subject: Convalidation Question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:58 am 

I am currently in an RCIA program as a candidate preparing for my confirmation and first communion this Easter. I have been meeting regularly with the parish priest for a for a few months now and he has answered so many of my questions with patience. I was baptized and raised Lutheran so you can imagine how many questions I have. At one of our meetings we talked about my being baptized in the Lutheran church and that both my wife and I had never been divorced, etc. Neither one of us has ever been married before and we were both Lutherans (my wife will not be joining the Catholic Church this Easter as she is not yet at that point in her faith journey). I thought that everything was fine until weeks later I realized that I never mentioned that we were married in a civil ceremony with a judge and not in the Lutheran church as this isn't really an issue in Lutheranism. Now I wonder if I can still go ahead with receiving communion this Easter. I have searched the CCC and other sources for the answer to no avail. Most of the examples I have found are regarding lapsed Catholics who are returning after not being married in the Catholic Church. Here is my question:

Do I need to request a convalidation prior to my first communion or can I wait until after Easter?

I still want to request the convalidation as I know it would really help our marriage and hopefully stir my wife's heart to join the church, but with Lent coming soon and am afraid it will he hard for the priest to find time before.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:53 am 
Master
Master

Edited by Administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:16 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The only safe advice anyone can give you is to ask the priest. Rest assured that he's used to handling situations like this and knows who to ask if he doesn't know the answer himself. Nor should you be embarassed that you forgot to mention it in the first place.

Need something to read?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]