Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Questions about Offering Masses
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:46 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic :)
Is offering Mass always the payment for a Mass to be offered for someone? I have heard that individuals at Mass can offer the Mass, but I understand this is also the term for when you have the Mass said for someone--are the results different?

How does one go about doing this, and is there a regular range of (?) fees? Is it different at different churches? Do you just call the parish and ask them to do it?

Does the person who offers the Mass need to attend that Mass?

I'd really like to get some Masses offered up for my parents while they are still alive as they are not currently practicing Catholics. And it would be nice to have some offered for some other people as well. (And ofcourse, this is not to mention that I know people who have died and I would like to have Masses said for them.

Which leads to my last question: would it be all right to have a Mass offered up for a non-Catholic who has died?

Thanks!!!

O God, our refuge and our strength, look down in mercy on Thy people who cry out to Thee, and through the intercession of Mary, the virgin Mother of God; Saint Joseph, her most chaste spouse; Thy holy Apostles Peter and Paul, and of all Thy Saints, hear our prayer for the conversion of sinners, and for the liberation and exaltation of our holy Mother the Church. Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:53 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The diocese sets the standard for the amount of the Mass stipend. Just call the parish and ask what it is, and ask if they have times available. You might also look into religious orders and missionaries, who often have more Masses available without intentions and would be happy to take them (and need the income).

You need not be present at the Mass.

There is no reason Mass could not be offered for a non-Catholic who has died.

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:15 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Thanks so much, Obi. (Gosh,what would we do without you!)

Now I have another question, what about retired priests? I think that they are supposed to offer Mass every day? If so, could we do that with them?

Thanks!

O God, our refuge and our strength, look down in mercy on Thy people who cry out to Thee, and through the intercession of Mary, the virgin Mother of God; Saint Joseph, her most chaste spouse; Thy holy Apostles Peter and Paul, and of all Thy Saints, hear our prayer for the conversion of sinners, and for the liberation and exaltation of our holy Mother the Church. Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:09 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Philothea wrote:
Thanks so much, Obi. (Gosh,what would we do without you!)

Other people know this stuff, too. I just happened along before any of them had a chance to reply. :)

Quote:
Now I have another question, what about retired priests? I think that they are supposed to offer Mass every day? If so, could we do that with them?

"Supposed to" is a little strong. The Code of Canon Law actually says "strongly encouraged."

Many supposedly retired priests are actually pretty busy covering parishes while other priests are on vacation, but if you know one, you can certainly ask him.

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:52 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Many supposedly retired priests are actually pretty busy covering parishes while other priests are on vacation, but if you know one, you can certainly ask him.

That's actually how I know about retired priests! There is a home for them a long ways down the road, but they used to come and help at our old parish. I oculd contact the home, perhaps...

One of them was so sweet, he's died since, God rest his soul, but when my 18 month old daughter ran up the aisle barefoot (I had taken her shoes off because she was kicking the seat), the priest said, Oh, to be young again and go barefoot to Mass!