Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 8   [ 150 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:29 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Religion: Catholic
Thanks! I am guessing its pretty normal to have first time jitters. Couple more questions:
1. Is it acceptable to bring a written list of all your sins into the confessional?
2. Is there a certain way that they should be ordered? Even if not mandatory, would it help the priest if they were ordered by sin type, chronological, ect?
3. I have certain sins on my mind from when I was 12 or 13 years old. Should I mention how long ago or how old I was when these sins were committed?
4. Should you confess things that your not sure if you committed? I was going through a run down of possible sins through one of the examination of consciences and there are many sins or important modifiers to fins that I honestly do not know for sure if I committed. I think I could have, but I have no memory of doing so. Should i mention these?

"The more we honor the Blessed Virgin, the more we honor Jesus Christ, because we honor Mary only that we may the more perfectly honor Jesus, since we go to her only as the way by which we are to find the end we are seeking, which is Jesus."

-St. Louis De Montfort

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:37 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Religion: Roman Catholic
If you have any question as to whether or not you committed a sin, or as to whether or not something would constitute a sin, it would be best to bring it up with your confessor; even if it turns out that you didn't, or that it isn't really a sin, the priest can still teach and counsel you about it. I was taught that it's best to be thorough.

"Beati estis cum maledixerint vobis et persecuti vos fuerint et dixerint omne malum adversum vos, mentientes, propter me. Gaudete et exsultate, quoniam merces vestra copiosa est in caelis; sic enim persecuti sunt prophetas, qui fuerunt ante vos." Mt. V. xi-xii

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:39 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

CatholicConvertBill wrote:
Thanks! I am guessing its pretty normal to have first time jitters. Couple more questions:
1. Is it acceptable to bring a written list of all your sins into the confessional?
2. Is there a certain way that they should be ordered? Even if not mandatory, would it help the priest if they were ordered by sin type, chronological, ect?
3. I have certain sins on my mind from when I was 12 or 13 years old. Should I mention how long ago or how old I was when these sins were committed?
4. Should you confess things that your not sure if you committed? I was going through a run down of possible sins through one of the examination of consciences and there are many sins or important modifiers to fins that I honestly do not know for sure if I committed. I think I could have, but I have no memory of doing so. Should i mention these?

1-Yes it is fine

2-No, there is no order at all. Just start wherever.

3-If you were very young, that could modify the gravity of the sin, so you could mention it.

4-I would discuss it with the priest as Michael noted.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:09 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The only thing about bringing in a written list is that you should remember to shred it upon leaving, or otherwise render it illegible. You don't want someone else to find it!

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:14 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The only thing about bringing in a written list is that you should remember to shred it upon leaving, or otherwise render it illegible. You don't want someone else to find it!

So true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:48 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I think that's reasonable enough. The idea is to give the confessor a good handle on how serious the problem is.

what I've found through going to confession myself is that its easier (and you feel much better about yourself) if you just let it all out! Tell your sins freely. We tell our best buddies when we do something wrong, why not tell a Priest!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:51 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Remember that the priest goes to confession too. He's probably going to treat you how he would like to be treated.

And FWIW, I am told that priests really don't remember what they were told in confession--they all run together before long.

How true! I went to confession today (as a "follow up" if you will) of my confession last week. I started with something like "Last week I came to you about..." and he didn't remember me at all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:25 pm 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

Matthew Angelone wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Remember that the priest goes to confession too. He's probably going to treat you how he would like to be treated.

And FWIW, I am told that priests really don't remember what they were told in confession--they all run together before long.

How true! I went to confession today (as a "follow up" if you will) of my confession last week. I started with something like "Last week I came to you about..." and he didn't remember me at all!

When this happens, I remember that to God, not only are sins forgiven, but forgotten.

His infinite Mercy is awesome.

You cannot have Jesus as your brother and then reject Mary as your mother. You cannot love His Father as your Father, and then refuse to love His mother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:55 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Bible-loving Catholic, Roman Rite
Church Affiliations: Altarboy, FSE Scouts of Europe
YankeeFan wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

I know that the Priest I am going to is remembering what I am confessing, and I am glad that he does, since when he sees a pattern, which he has already seen, he is giving me tips on how to get on the right track.

My web log; http://minutz3.blogspot.com/

"God katolik"; http://godkatolik.blogspot.com

minutz3's public channel on Share on Ovi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:03 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
I get the distinct impression that priests remember things in the confessional, and not outside.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:38 pm 
Master
Master

dcs wrote:
I get the distinct impression that priests remember things in the confessional, and not outside.

...or they might just ignore these things they've been told :P

Post subject: Re: Confession 101
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:55 pm 
There Can Be Only One

tAnGo wrote:
Hope this helps anyone who may have questions on this Sacrament. Many RCIA programs do not describe Confession in any detail to help new folks to the Church.

Actually, it did. I've been searching on-line for some description of the actual activity in the confessional. This is, by far, the best I've seen. Thanks, amigo.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:23 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
Excellent... glad it was of help!

I think a lot of people who have been going to confession for some time have perhaps forgotten what it's like for the complete noob to approach the box.

When I sat through my (then)gf's RCIA, this frustration came up again because the instructors only said something like: you go in the box, make the sign of the cross, say your sins, then the priest will tell you to make an act of contrition and that's it.

Well, no... that's not "it" because it doesn't tell the noobie what he really wants to know, what he should say, ... and it doesn't tell him what to expect, or what it's expected of him.
"List your sins" ok, well that doesn't tell me HOW to list my sins...

Quite frankly, I think some people do not go to confession because they don't know "how" to go to confession and there is a severe lack of instruction on how to do it.

There's really no wrong way to go to confession, but having a nice and tidy formula seems to make it easier for a lot of people (me included)...

After people figure out how to do it, or get comfortable with how they approach the box, the next thing they probably try to figure out is "50 different ways to say 'masturbation' in an attempt to kinda soothe over the act and make it not sound so dirty to a priest"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:12 pm 
Master
Master

tAnGo wrote:
After people figure out how to do it, or get comfortable with how they approach the box, the next thing they probably try to figure out is "50 different ways to say 'masturbation' in an attempt to kinda soothe over the act and make it not sound so dirty to a priest"...

Why not use the excellent word "self-abuse"? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:06 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

See what I mean?

hahaha...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:49 am 
Master
Master

tAnGo wrote:
See what I mean?

hahaha...

Well, yes, but I don't like the word m* because it sounds so positive.
Self-abuse is a more "right" term that gives the act its more proper graveness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:52 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It doesn't matter what you call it as long as the confessor knows what you mean.

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:00 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
I try to use the terms I see in various guides and examinations of conscience. I have not seen one of these use the term "self-abuse" and I don't know if one can be assured of the priest understanding what one means by that term these days (of course, if he doesn't he can always ask, but still).

I don't see what's so positive about the word "masturbation" either. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:16 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
It doesn't matter what you call it as long as the confessor knows what you mean.

of course, this is a good point, and if the priest isn't sure what you're talking about, I'm sure he'll ask for clarification, too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:24 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I would hazard a guess that most priests will know what someone means by confessing self-abuse.

Need something to read?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 8   [ 150 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next