Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is it ever too late to go through RCIA?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:04 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Christian
I will be 37 when I complete my RCIA course. I will be happy about this. It's never too late right?

Post subject: Re: Is it ever too late to go through RCIA?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:15 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
My parents went through RCIA when Dad was 88 and Mom was 76. :fyi:

Dad only got to attend about a half-dozen sessions before his terminal cancer had run its course, but he had already been brought into the Church several months earlier on profession of faith - a priest can do that in certain circumstances, including imminence of death. (Dad's first reaction when he learned that he was dying was to turn to me and say "Call your priest." It was a beautiful moment.)

So, no, you are not too old by a long shot. In the years I spent teaching RCIA, I'd say the median age of our participants was mid-30's. I can't speak for your area, but if you had been at my old parish, you'd have found most of the participants at about the same stage of life as you.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:18 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It's never too late. 37 is young!

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:20 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Mrs. Timmy wrote:

Dad only got to attend about a half-dozen sessions before his terminal cancer had run its course, but he had already been brought into the Church several months earlier on profession of faith - a priest can do that in certain circumstances, including imminence of death. (Dad's first reaction when he learned that he was dying was to turn to me and say "Call your priest." It was a beautiful moment.)

So, no, you are not too old by a long shot. In the years I spent teaching RCIA, I'd say the median age of our participants was mid-30's. I can't speak for your area, but if you had been at my old parish, you'd have found most of the participants at about the same stage of life as you.

This is great. I have the rest of my life (hopefully I live over 100 years) to study and practice the Catholic faith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:27 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Kellygirl12 wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:

This is great. I have the rest of my life (hopefully I live over 100 years) to study and practice the Catholic faith

Dad had been given 3 months to live if he survived the operation to bypass the blockage in his intestine caused by the cancerous tumor (he did). He lived for 6 months afterward, and studied his newfound Catholic faith every day. On my dad's last lucid day, 36 hours before his death, Father came to the house and gave Daddy the sacraments of Reconciliation, Holy Eucharist, and the Anointing of the Sick.

I'm still awed at what a testimony of faith Dad's brief life as a Catholic was. Both priests co-celebrated his funeral Mass and one of the Deacons, whose job makes it all but impossible to be free on a weekday, presided not only at the Mass, but at the Rosary the night before. I'm humbled just thinking about it now.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:55 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
You can begin instruction at any time! The oldest we have had take instruction and come into the Church was 93.

Remind me, are you baptized?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:21 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

kage_ar wrote:
You can begin instruction at any time! The oldest we have had take instruction and come into the Church was 93.

No, I have never been baptized

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:39 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Kellygirl12 wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

No, I have never been baptized

Then you will be having the blessing of the "big three!" - Baptism, Confirmation and 1st Communion - and your Baptism will wash away all of your sins up til that moment!!! We jokingly call that the "fast pass" because you won't have decades of past sins to confess :) :cloud9: