Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 4   [ 63 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:04 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
faithfulservant wrote:
hehehe...we don't even have one paten that i know of...can you imagine 8 for each EMHC that is distributing communion...and where would all the altar boys come from...we have a hard enough time finding 3 for each Mass

3 for each mass? :)

At my parish when I was younger, my younger brother and I would alternate (by ourselves) every other week! I could only hope for 3 alter servers at all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:28 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: disillusioned
faithfulservant wrote:
hehehe...we don't even have one paten that i know of...can you imagine 8 for each EMHC that is distributing communion...and where would all the altar boys come from...we have a hard enough time finding 3 for each Mass

Then perhaps there are too many EMHCs. The idea behind calling them "extraordinary" ministers is that their use should be in extraordinary circumstances. In other words a rarity not the normative situation.

Even though my life is falling apart at the seams ... I find comfort in the fact that I'm not a stripper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:22 pm 
Deceased

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
[…
There is no need to have very short Masses if there are only two Masses, Communion can take longer. 15 minutes with 4 and only 4 priests distributing (one was Cardinal Dulles, who moves with a cane) at an altar rail with 1400 communicants. After seeing that, I am a hard case to sell on any real necessity of EHMC's

And as I said, I was nit pickin'

Pardon my following analytical comments.

I am not considering "very short Masses". I am primarily considering a typical Sunday Latin rite Mass in the USA which should, even with singing, be about one hour long. Some would consider that short, but it is fairly typical and not beyond expectation.

To have the distribution of Holy Communion take 15 minutes out of the hour, i.e. 25% of the time, would be grossly disproportionate to its importance in liturgy. I once "timed" the communion distribution in the Mass I usually go to in my home parish (the Mass uses one EMHC to distribute hosts along with the priest at the head on the central aisle and two more EMHCs for cups with the Precious Blood). Communion distribution took about 6 minutes and that 10% of the total Mass time seems about right.

Edward Pothier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:41 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
One hour?

Mass as a standard should be an hour and half and sung. The old Mass was 2 hours (High). Before that 3 hours.

Why must we be perpetually shortening it?

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:52 pm 
Master
Master

on my campus they let students give out the Eucharist! This has always disturbed me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:31 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
Carole wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

Then perhaps there are too many EMHCs. The idea behind calling them "extraordinary" ministers is that their use should be in extraordinary circumstances. In other words a rarity not the normative situation.

it's that time thing again...not to mention the inclusivety for the laity....when you've got 1000-1500 for communion, you don't want to take too much time... and of course, it's "permitted" in the GIRM so there really is no recourse... but just to give you the mindset...at daily Mass (50-60 in attendance), if there is no deacon assisting, there is always an EMHC distributing the Host... why we can't have 2 lines, approaching the one priest, i have no idea...but that's the way it is at our parish

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:03 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Quote:
at daily Mass (50-60 in attendance), if there is no deacon assisting, there is always an EMHC distributing the Host... why we can't have 2 lines, approaching the one priest, i have no idea...but that's the way it is at our parish

Same here. One day the EM wasn't there and the priest right before he started distributing communion, asked the crowd if there were any Em's there :?

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:39 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
it's just a bad mindset... stay in the same rut...no matter how inappropriate (read that WRONG!) it is :roll:

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject: Re: Communion in Hand
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:00 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Christian
I have been to a few Catholic Masses. I have noticed that at Communion several people receive the Eucharist by hand. Sometimes there are those who receive the Eucharist on the tongue.
Before lay people give out Holy Communion, are they taught both ways: to distribute it by hand and on the tongue?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:38 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
They should be.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:54 pm 

Petronius wrote:
I have been to a few Catholic Masses. I have noticed that at Communion several people receive the Eucharist by hand. Sometimes there are those who receive the Eucharist on the tongue.
Before lay people give out Holy Communion, are they taught both ways: to distribute it by hand and on the tongue?

Petronius,

You do realize that the standard procedure is to start a NEW thread, rather than resurrect a 13 year old thread? ~ Moderator :scratch:

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:01 am 
Citizen
Citizen

If receiving in the hand was the way the early Church practiced, how in the world could it ever be seen as "an abuse?!" :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:11 pm 
Paladin
Paladin

Sabbath wrote:
If receiving in the hand was the way the early Church practiced, how in the world could it ever be seen as "an abuse?!" :shock:

“Abuse” is a vague term. It’s not an abuse because it is legally sanctioned, or rather dispensed for certain regions. I would not call it “abuse” as usually this is the context for the word “abuse.”

It's emergence in the 20th century was indeed as a result of abuse. Priests and bishops, during the wonderful 1960s (and probably earlier, but it exploded in the 60s) gave Holy Communion in the hand, even though they were not supped to and in some cases Rome told them to stop. They persisted and Rome relented.

It is certainly objectively inferior and harms believe in Transubstantiation and subsequently the Mass a real sacrifice.

The “early Church practiced it” argument is weak. There were only certain areas in the early church that did this; a minority practice that vanished within time. It wasn’t even executed in the manner as we see it today.

The current way we do Holy Communion in the hand is a mix between antiquarianism and novelty.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:06 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Sabbath wrote:

The same way the Agape Feast came to be seen as an abuse

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:06 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Peregrinator wrote:
Sabbath wrote:

The same way the Agape Feast came to be seen as an abuse

Strange...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:30 am 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Wow. So many "blasts from the past" in one thread." I pray for you all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:45 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Sabbath wrote:

'
So, if the practice of the Early Church is the model, would you like a return to public confession with harsh, decades-long public penances and baptisms performed in the nude?

As Erasmus of Rotterdam once brilliantly put it 'to seek to return to the early Church is like a grown man wanting to return to the cradle.'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:28 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Christian
Bishop Athanasius Schneider explained the consequences brought about by Communion in Hand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nv8yacWQJ4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:35 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Doom wrote:
Sabbath wrote:

'
So, if the practice of the Early Church is the model, would you like a return to public confession with harsh, decades-long public penances and baptisms performed in the nude?

I simply stated that it should not be considered and abuse because of that. Those type of confessions would certainly purge out sin, as for that baptisms, hey, if ya got no skin in the game...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:17 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Church Affiliations: KoC, Legion of Mary
Sabbath wrote:
Doom wrote:
Sabbath wrote:

'

I simply stated that it should not be considered and abuse because of that. Those type of confessions would certainly purge out sin, as for that baptisms, hey, if ya got no skin in the game...

Historical liturgical practice doesn't make something automatically reverent, or proper. The case of "hold off till the deathbed baptism" illustrates this well.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 4   [ 63 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next