Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 4   [ 63 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:05 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Here is a link to the 1969 document reintroducing the practice of communion in the hand. From the introduction:

Quote:
These changes have made of the eucharistic banquet and the faithful fulfillment of Christ's command a clearer and more vital symbol. At the same time in recent years a fuller sharing in the eucharistic celebration through sacramental communion has here and there evoked the desire to return to the ancient usage of depositing the eucharistic bread in the hand of the communicant, he himself then communicating, placing it in his mouth.

Indeed, in certain communities and in certain places this practice has been introduced without prior approval having been requested of the Holy See, and, at times, without any attempt to prepare the faithful adequately.

It is certainly true that ancient usage once allowed the faithful to take this divine food in their hands and to place it in their mouths themselves.

It is also true that in very ancient times they were allowed to take the Blessed Sacrament with them from the place where the holy sacrifice was celebrated. This was principally so as to be able to give themselves Viaticum in case they had to face death for their faith.

This part might shock a few people:

Quote:
4. With regard to the manner of administering the sacrament, one may follow the traditional method, which emphasized the ministerial function of the priest or deacon, in having them place the host in the hand of the communicant. One may also adopt a simpler method, allowing the communicant himself to take the host from the ciborium. In either case, the communicant ought to consume the host before returning to his place, and the minister's role will be emphasized by his saying, "The Body of Christ", to which the communicant responds, "Amen."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:20 pm 

Buannan wrote:
my father, who is a Eucharistic minister told me just recently that he doesn't like to put the host on someone's tongue

My guess is that anyone who receives on the tongue from an EMHC, is not giving alot of thought to the act, just doing what they've always done. It has already touched the unconsecrated hands of the EMHC, so what's the point of not touching it with one's own hands?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:25 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Neophyte (erstwhile) wrote:
Here is a link to the 1969 document reintroducing the practice of communion in the hand. From the introduction:

Quote:
These changes have made of the eucharistic banquet and the faithful fulfillment of Christ's command a clearer and more vital symbol. At the same time in recent years a fuller sharing in the eucharistic celebration through sacramental communion has here and there evoked the desire to return to the ancient usage of depositing the eucharistic bread in the hand of the communicant, he himself then communicating, placing it in his mouth.

Indeed, in certain communities and in certain places this practice has been introduced without prior approval having been requested of the Holy See, and, at times, without any attempt to prepare the faithful adequately.

It is certainly true that ancient usage once allowed the faithful to take this divine food in their hands and to place it in their mouths themselves.

It is also true that in very ancient times they were allowed to take the Blessed Sacrament with them from the place where the holy sacrifice was celebrated. This was principally so as to be able to give themselves Viaticum in case they had to face death for their faith.

Paul VI, does say however that the practice on tongue must be retained. This is an indult, that a change in a law. The universal law still forbids it, though many places have an indult for it

Quote:
This part might shock a few people:

Quote:
4. With regard to the manner of administering the sacrament, one may follow the traditional method, which emphasized the ministerial function of the priest or deacon, in having them place the host in the hand of the communicant. One may also adopt a simpler method, allowing the communicant himself to take the host from the ciborium. In either case, the communicant ought to consume the host before returning to his place, and the minister's role will be emphasized by his saying, "The Body of Christ", to which the communicant responds, "Amen."
[/quote]
This is reprobated

See my post above. It is not allowed (nor has it been since at least the late 1970's)

160. The priest then takes the paten or ciborium and goes to the communicants, who, as a rule, approach in a procession.

The faithful are not permitted to take the consecrated bread or the sacred chalice by themselves and, still less, to hand them from one to another. The norm for reception of Holy Communion in the dioceses of the United States is standing. Communicants should not be denied Holy Communion because they kneel. Rather, such instances should be addressed pastorally, by providing the faithful with proper catechesis on the reasons for this norm.

When receiving Holy Communion, the communicant bows his or her head before the Sacrament as a gesture of reverence and receives the Body of the Lord from the minister. The consecrated host may be received either on the tongue or in the hand, at the discretion of each communicant. When Holy Communion is received under both kinds, the sign of reverence is also made before receiving the Precious Blood.

From the GIRM

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:40 pm 
4-H Superstar
4-H Superstar

Religion: Catholic
faithfulservant wrote:
OTOH, offering communion to the faithful under both species is not a requirement unless the bishop has deemed it so (as mine has)

You answered my question FS, as we only receive communion under both species on Holy Thursday. Interesting, as our previous bishop had stated it should be offered at least 4 times a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:21 pm 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
I believe that this practice originated as an abuse and eventually was legalized. The popes did come out against it but in the end it was legalized, although it is still only an indult and can be revoked by any Bishop in his own diocese.

That's my understanding too.

I praise Thee for all things, I bless Thee, I glorify Thee, with the everlasting and heavenly Jesus Christ, Thy beloved Son, with whom, to Thee, and the Holy Spirit, be glory both now and to all coming ages. Amen. -- St. Polycarp's prayer of thanksgiving at his martyrdom, 156 A.D.

Baby No. 8 is on the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:58 am 

I will have to look up the link, I believe it was one of Clement's letters.
He discussed the Communion service at Mass and described it (paraphrase) then as the Holy Bread is distributed, the communicant approaches in reverence, takes the bread in their left hand, and humbly places it in their mouth with their right hand.
I have to go to work shortly, but I know I have a link somewhere to Clement's writings.
I found it during a discussion on this topic elsewhere, and I think it shows we have such a rich history, we only really gleam a portion of it in this life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:33 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
Signum Crucis wrote:
I receive in the hand because that's how I was taught when I converted. I had always seen people receive on the tongue, so I was a bit confused. I always check my hand for crumbs, and I rarely fail to find one or two, unless Fr. uses the round bite-sized hosts.

Siggy

That right there should be enough to make everyone stop receiving in the hand. For if you (plural) miss one of those fragments --fragments which also contain the entire Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ-- then you will only end up desecrating them; and even if your desecration of those fragments was unintentional, they are still desecrated. Your very love of God should cause you to stop any action in which you increase the chances of desecrating the Most Blessed Sacrament.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:36 am 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
I will have to look up the link, I believe it was one of Clement's letters.
He discussed the Communion service at Mass and described it (paraphrase) then as the Holy Bread is distributed, the communicant approaches in reverence, takes the bread in their left hand, and humbly places it in their mouth with their right hand.

No, I think you mean St. Cyril of Jerusalem, not Clement:

Quote:
When thou goest to receive communion go not with thy wrists extended, nor with thy fingers separated, but placing thy left hand as a throne for thy right, which is to receive so great a King, and in the hollow of the palm receive the body of Christ, saying, Amen.

St. Cyril of Jerusalem: "Fifth Mystagogical Catechesis", 21: PG 33. col 1125 (c. 350 AD) as cited by the Quintsext Synod of Trullo, Canon 101 (c. 692 AD)

I praise Thee for all things, I bless Thee, I glorify Thee, with the everlasting and heavenly Jesus Christ, Thy beloved Son, with whom, to Thee, and the Holy Spirit, be glory both now and to all coming ages. Amen. -- St. Polycarp's prayer of thanksgiving at his martyrdom, 156 A.D.

Baby No. 8 is on the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:14 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

pax wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:
I receive in the hand because that's how I was taught when I converted. I had always seen people receive on the tongue, so I was a bit confused. I always check my hand for crumbs, and I rarely fail to find one or two, unless Fr. uses the round bite-sized hosts.

Siggy

That right there should be enough to make everyone stop receiving in the hand. For if you (plural) miss one of those fragments --fragments which also contain the entire Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ-- then you will only end up desecrating them; and even if your desecration of those fragments was unintentional, they are still desecrated. Your very love of God should cause you to stop any action in which you increase the chances of desecrating the Most Blessed Sacrament.

If I change, I'll have to tell Fr. ahead of time and maybe get in a practice session with him at weekday Mass. I know of only two people who receive on the tongue at Mass, out of about 30, sometimes 40 people in attendance. And they're both liberals. :shock: (One denied his wife, my godmother, a funeral Mass. The other is godmother to my two youngest. She's the one who told me the ECF's "didn't know what they were talking about" and taught my daughter in confirmation class that as long as she believes in God that's all that counts.)

Siggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:18 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: disillusioned
Buannan wrote:
short masses?

he needs help to be able to offer both the body and blood

this has nothing to do with time

In such a case then the priest has two options.

#1 - To distribute the Blessed Sacrament under the species of bread only.

#2 - Intinction.

There is very little true necessity for the overly abundant use of Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion.

Even though my life is falling apart at the seams ... I find comfort in the fact that I'm not a stripper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:07 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
glutton wrote:
Buannan wrote:
my father, who is a Eucharistic minister told me just recently that he doesn't like to put the host on someone's tongue

My guess is that anyone who receives on the tongue from an EMHC, is not giving alot of thought to the act, just doing what they've always done. It has already touched the unconsecrated hands of the EMHC, so what's the point of not touching it with one's own hands?

a most excellent point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:19 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
glutton, while what you say is indeed true, it might actually be that those receiving on the tongue still feel that their own unworthiness to touch the Eucharist with their own hands would prevent them from doing so... and remember, however one may feel personally about EMHCs :duel :box :rant , they are indeed sanctioned by the Church to do what they do

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:23 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

i have to admit, though, that in all my years of novus ordo churching, i very very very rarely ever saw someone receive on the tongue from an EMHC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:29 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Signum Crucis wrote:
One denied his wife, my godmother, a funeral Mass.

Why??? That is just bizarre. So what did they do instead - bury her secretly in the dead of night with flashlights?? Why would any Catholic not want a funeral mass? Did he ever explain his "reason"? And have you had a Mass said for her anyway?

Custos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:30 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

well, i always receive on the tongue...but very rarely receive from an EMHC... we are always in the deacon/priest line at regular weekly Mass, and i always get in the priest line at daily Mass

but i do promise that just because an EMHC is administering communion, it certainly would not keep me from receiving.... no sense cutting off your nose to spite your face... it is still my Lord and my God i am receiving, no matter who is distributing

and since i also always receive the Precious Blood from an EMHC, it's really no big deal

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:37 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Signum Crucis wrote:

Siggy

same for me... every once and a while I receive the host on my tongue but I'm scared that somehow I'll drop it. I'd rather receive by mouth but feel awkward doing so. Just because I was taught to do it by hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:48 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Hint: If you tilt your head back slightly to receive, then there shouldn't be a problem.

If the priest doesn't try to throw the Host in your mouth like a basketball, then there shouldn't be a problem.

For me, there's always been a naturally "stickyness" such that once it's on the tongue, it's on there.

In any case, any fears about having the Host fall SHOULD be alleviated by HAVING ALTAR BOYS RIGHT THERE WITH A PATEN JUST IN CASE!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:53 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

hehehe...we don't even have one paten that i know of...can you imagine 8 for each EMHC that is distributing communion...and where would all the altar boys come from...we have a hard enough time finding 3 for each Mass

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:59 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

faithfulservant wrote:
hehehe...we don't even have one paten that i know of...can you imagine 8 for each EMHC that is distributing communion...and where would all the altar boys come from...we have a hard enough time finding 3 for each Mass

and the neo-cons and libs answer: "maybe we should get some girl altar boys..."

AMCHURCH AMCHURCH RAH RAH RAH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:01 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

oh yeah...we are very inclusive...we have those too... though i do believe the boys outnumber the girls...though i can only speak for the Mass that i go to...have no idea about the other 7 that are offered at our parish

De Maria numquam satis

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 4   [ 63 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next