Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Speaking of "Children's Masses"
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:23 pm 

I've noticed at my parish that whenever it is a Children's Mass, instead of "Lord, hear our prayer" they do this raising of the hands thing. Accompanied by "We bless You, we thank You, we praise You" sung, not spoken.

Is this common?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:40 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
I think I heard that phrase at the one children's mass i was unfortunate enough to stumble into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:00 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

We have six kids, ages 3-19 and we are careful to avoid all childrens Masses. This Sunday is Mother's day and we are going to the earliest mass we can find to avoid any silliness there too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:24 pm 
Master
Master

If your children attend Catholic schools they probably attend a "Children's Mass" every week.

The children do the readings. The children present the gifts. The children read the petitions. The children sing in the choir.

The children may read from a children's lectionary.

Children's masses are unavoidable. And, since, in a school Mass, the congregation is composed almost entirely of children, they are probably more appropriate.

(And no, I have never heard that sung response, although I have heard other sung responses to the Prayer of the Faithful during very traditional Masses.)

Post subject: Re: Speaking of "Children's Masses"
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:51 pm 
Deceased

Religion: Catholic
MattC wrote:
I've noticed at my parish that whenever it is a Children's Mass, instead of "Lord, hear our prayer" they do this raising of the hands thing. Accompanied by "We bless You, we thank You, we praise You" sung, not spoken.

Is this common?

In the Second Eucharistic Prayer for Masses with Children (one of three officially approved ones for Children) there is a response "We praise you, we bless you, we thank you" (same words, different order from above) which is said four separate times by all from after the Consecration to before the Great Doxology and Amen.

Most often when something is to be said, it can also be sung. I see no mention of raising hands in the directives.

Edward Pothier

Post subject: Re: Speaking of "Children's Masses"
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:43 am 

Edward Pothier wrote:
MattC wrote:

Is this common?

In the Second Eucharistic Prayer for Masses with Children (one of three officially approved ones for Children) there is a response "We praise you, we bless you, we thank you" (same words, different order from above) which is said four separate times by all from after the Consecration to before the Great Doxology and Amen.

Most often when something is to be said, it can also be sung. I see no mention of raising hands in the directives.

Edward Pothier

That's what the response was. I couldn't quite remember what it was. Thanks for the clarification!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:49 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

There is always a tension between adapting a liturgy to a particular congregation and keeping it "intact." For example, in the prayers of petition, one can have generic prayers such as could be said by anyone anywhere, or one can simplify the language for children. The music may reflect the particular interests and skills of a congregation, or it may be chosen on some other basis. This sort of choice goes on at every Mass, and well-intentioned and well-considered views may differ on exactly where to draw the line. (And yes, obviously, some things are, or should be, no one's choice. For example, the language of the Opening Prayer should not be changed to make it more understandable.]

Children's Masses are a sore subject. Some parents and teachers want them to be "cute." Others resist any sort of accommodation to anyone under any circumstances. As is often the case, prudence is usually somewhere in the middle.